Honey locust dieing out in middle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StillH2O

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My honey locus that has always been very full and beautiful, is looking very thin this spring and has several dead branches in the middle. Not sure what is happening, the trunk looks good and nothing has happened to the tree that would pin point the issue. Any ideas what is going on and what I can do to help?

I have no clue how I did that. Please share how to delete as I'm new to this site

I've been pruning a lot of honey locusts lately as part of a street tree contract. What I've noticed is a predominance of dead branching inside the canopy, which I suspect is a shade intolerance issue. If the branch isn't getting enough light, the leaves aren't producing enough carbohydrate so the tree kills it off. This is a natural process and the only way around it would be to thin out the canopy to let more light into the middle of the tree.

I've also seen them to be very susceptible to green aphids which right now is causing the upper leaves to curl.

Where I'm pruning, there appears to be two varieties, a golden one and a green one. The green one is full and lush, whereas the golden one is looking a little scraggly.

If it is looking thin this year, where is hasn't in the past, is there something in the landscape that has changed? Did you relandscape the yard, add a driveway/sidewalk, anything that could have affected the roots. What was the weather like last year? Was there a bit of a dry spell? The tree could be responding to a hot dry summer last year.

Latest posts

Back