Honeywell WiFi Thermostat.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Picked up model rth9580 today. Ive been wanting to do it for awhile and finally got the gumption to do it.

Install was straight forward until I discovered I was missing a control wire to power the unit. Many google hits on swapping the "G" wire over to the "C" terminal and then making the change on the furnace panel. Problem with that is then I would have lost the ability to run the fan. We kinda like using the fan to help mix up the air and get some of it filtered, so I picked up a roll of 18-5 and ran the new wire to keep the existing functionality as well as get the common wire to power the unit. Which leads me to the point of this thread....

The unit has an option in the fan menu to "circulate" as well as "on" and "auto." The circulate function runs the fan randomly throughout the day at it says a 35% rate. I'm assuming that means it will run 35% of a 24 hour day, so just over 8 hours per day. This was a HUGE, unintended bonus to discover...

Thought others that don't run their furnace for heat would find this valuable, even if you don't use the wifi.....

I have the Nest for my floor heat. I don't use all the fancy stuff it has, but if it's well below zero I might check in to see if I need to swing by the house to put more wood in teh stove (shop is about 2 miles away).

It's supposed to self program and know when people are home, etc. Yeah.... frigging thing... I'd get home and the boiler would be running full pull, and it'd be pushing 80* in the house or it'd go full stupid and decide that 50* is fine.

Have a Honeywell Lyric in teh garage and at the shop. It sends a text and email if it gets too cold or if it detects water. At the shop it's handy... there's 2 of us that keep the stove going and been a few times that neither put wood in teh stove and the next morning the shop was froze up. Or it went from 35* to -20* overnight and didn't account for that with how much wood was put in the stove.

Latest posts

Back