Honing Nikasil Cylinders?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have seen in Stihl cylinders, the Nikasil plating (nickel chromium nitrate) used is no where near as hard as what I was involved with in back in 90"s NASCAR. Nothing short of a diamond hone would touch the stuff. I've had good luck (so far) with a non-descript Harbor Freight mystery grit flex hone with the stones shorted equally from on both ends. Used a variable speed drill. Your mileage may vary. It helped a bunch with cylinders that insisted on making the piston skirt no matter how good the walls looked or felt. A couple licks with the hone is all it took. Anything much under 50mm or 2" need not apply until the stones are well worn. I do not like ball hones but if the fore mentioned flex is used first and a ball hone last I suspect the saw will never know the difference.

From what I have seen in Stihl cylinders, the Nikasil plating (nickel chromium nitrate) used is no where near as hard as what I was involved with in back in 90"s NASCAR. Nothing short of a diamond hone would touch the stuff. I've had good luck (so far) with a non-descript Harbor Freight mystery grit flex hone with the stones shorted equally from on both ends. Used a variable speed drill. Your mileage may vary. It helped a bunch with cylinders that insisted on making the piston skirt no matter how good the walls looked or felt. A couple licks with the hone is all it took. Anything much under 50mm or 2" need not apply until the stones are well worn. I do not like ball hones but if the fore mentioned flex is used first and a ball hone last I suspect the saw will never know the difference.
I believe current Stihl cylinders are chrome plated, at least in the last 20 years or so

Latest posts

Back