Hood River/ Portland beta please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanopyGorilla

climber....sawyer
Reaction score
Hi, First post here. I am hoping to get some info from some folks who may live in the Columbia Gorge region.

I currently live in western Montana and my wife and I are in the process of trying to move out to the Portland or Hood river area. My question is how is the job market out there for a somewhat green climber. I have researched online and found that there are quite a few tree services in the area but would like to know how tough it is to break into the biz out there. Here is a bit about me so you may be able to better answer my question. I am on my second season of working for a tree service and first season climbing for them full time. My background is in rock climbing which I have been doing for almost twelve years so I came to tree climbing with a very intimate understanding of insanely complex rope systems. I also used to work for a search and rescue outfit that focuses on some of the most technical rock face rescues in the country. Because of this I took immediately to the rope work aspect and have been using both Ddrt and SRT (Texas style because it is the most similar to rock climbing techniques for ascending a rope). I have a background in landscape and nursery work (including sales at a tree nursery) so my knowledge base for proper pruning and species identification is decent. I consider myself to be personable and good with customer service and communication. Later this summer I plan to try and get my class B CDL. I am a fairly decent skid steer operator (with several different attachments) and also daily operate different kinds of stump grinders, chippers, mini skids, and boom trucks. I am a certified pesticide handler in Montana. When I get done in a tree I am not afraid to take 5, drink some water and get back to helping with ground duties (I have seen some climbers think they are exempt from clean up). As far as the climbing goes I know I still have a TON to learn but am 100% committed to making this a career because I have fallen in love with it :rock:! I am not some hard head that thinks I already know everything, I am eager to keep gaining experience and knowledge. No ISA yet but that is something I would really like to accomplish once I have put my three years in. My current boss sort of let me slide into the position. We had a climber quit last year and I asked if I could try to step up. He agreed and I bought a harness, spurs, and a flipline and have been doing everything from NCAA pruning, crown reductions WITHOUT topping, large removals, simple deadwooding, thinning, shaping, and a ton of bucket work. So, thoughts? Are most companies going to tell me to come back in a few years with more experience or will I be able to find work quickly?
Sorry for the long winded post, any input will be greatly appreciated!

~Charlie

P.S. Edited to add that my biggest downfall is probably mechanics. I have never been good fixing engines.

Last edited:
Man, I hate when I post a question and get no responses! So here you go. I live in Oregon and climb for a residential tree service. I climb, but am the #3 climber in our outfit. So I do a lot of ground work, rope work for the other climbers and whatever needs to be done. I do it to my best ability and with a good attitude. If you are willing to do that then you should have no problem getting in with a crew. Today I did a climb/removal in the morning that needed to be topped and chunked down. In the afternoon I put my head down and dragged a bunch of brush and stayed behind the chipper until the day was done. I also run the bobcat with various attachments and have a class B CDL. I always look forward to climbing but there is no shortcut in this business. I think as long as you are willing to bust your butt and show that you can do it all and keep a positive attitude you will be a valuable employee. The fact is there is usually a high turnover in this biz for newbies. Not many guys can deal with the intense physical demands of this industry. And put up with the b.s. from employers that ran out of patience years ago. Lots of tree work here in the pacific NW. You should get your opportunity no problem by the sounds of it. I also came from a rock climbing background and got my opportunity when a climber quit. I jumped at the chance to climb and never looked back. LOVE it. Best of luck to ya and climb safe, cheers!

Haha...I also have the same weakness, suck at mechanics

Strata pretty much said it all. Shouldn't be to hard getting a job now, especially that busy is just around corner if not already in affect. The problem is getting work in the winter, there is a only a few outfits that keep their guys working fulltime during the slow season. Thats my biggest gripe.

I have a small tree company and could use a second climber but the issue is I have a hard time keeping a fulltime schedule from week to week.

Thanks for the replies. Thats sort of what I figured Strata, How long have you been working for that outfit? I do feel really lucky in that I am climbing or in the boom every single day right now.

I'm in my second year with this outfit. And as red said the biggest problem is we only stay busy about 7 months out of the year. Some of my coworkers can barely survive the off season. I've got other irons in the fire for the off season so I survive ok.... I am lucky that my company stays busy and full time during the 7/8 months we work. I get 40 hrs a wk always, and even pick up some Saturdays stump grinding. I also get some weekend side jobs through some landscaper friends of mine. I am grateful, for sure. I wouldn't change a thing except maybe I'd prefer 10 months of steady paychecks and just a couple months off for the holidays... :)
Really love the work though so no griping from me... Cheers!

Back