Hosing The customer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walt41

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
I usually stay the heck out of this area because I am not in the business but, I have to ask this, have you guys ever just gave someone a high price because you thought they looked like they could afford it? I had Professional tree service give me a quote that was off the charts high and I told him like it was, I know for a fact that I can drop this tree and haul it away for a third of what this clown was trying to stick me on.

justme23005

justme23005

ArboristSite Operative
I can't say I've ever charged extra, just because the person looked like they could afford it, but I have added a little extra, because I knew the person was hard to deal with. I've also charged less than the original estimate because the job went easier / faster than expected, or because the home owner fed us and bribed us with lemonade. :)

Blazin

Blazin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not in the tree aspect. but cars sometimes.... instant tude from the "I need this now" gets a nosebleed quote. On the other hand I've given too much away at the hands of a scammer....................They're out there, all over!!!!

Toddppm

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
I usually stay the heck out of this area because I am not in the business but, I have to ask this, have you guys ever just gave someone a high price because you thought they looked like they could afford it? I had Professional tree service give me a quote that was off the charts high and I told him like it was, I know for a fact that I can drop this tree and haul it away for a third of what this clown was trying to stick me on.

What made you think it was off the charts high? Of course you can do it cheaper you don't have the eqpt. costs, payroll, taxes etc. that go with it.

Walt41

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
What made you think it was off the charts high? Of course you can do it cheaper you don't have the eqpt. costs, payroll, taxes etc. that go with it.

$1,750 for removal of 30' tall weeping willow and grind stump, no climbing, easy in/out

TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
$1,750 for removal of 30' tall weeping willow and grind stump, no climbing, easy in/out

Well hard to comment without seeing it.

But.. I know when we quote, we do full clean up.. lawns raked and blown with leaf blower (we use BR600's for cleanup). Now unless you are keeping the wood there would be trucking costs and disposal fees (we pay $55/ton but might vary).

What is access like, how hard to get to equipment/chipper/dump, etc.

If you had to rent a chipper.. what would it cost you. I know a 12" rental here is around $475/day.

What about insurance costs? Not sure what other pay.. but that is certainally several dollars per day.

How many hours do you figure it would take to drop it, chip up limbs, take to disposal site, and do full cleanup.

Then there is the stump removal.. how big a diameter is the tree at ground level? Call somebody to get quote on stump.. call up somebody and get a ballpark of stump costs - I will guarantee that alone will likely be over $100.00.

There are too many factors to consider.. if somebody had a rough idea of how many guys and hours it might take, then one might hazard a guess..

It is not all about if you need to climb .. although that will add to cost for sure. It is all about time, how long does it take.. how many guys are needed and how much equipment is required.

Toddppm

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
30' ? Something isn't right here. Did you call this "professional service" ? or was it a door knocker? The door knockers will try and get whatever they think they can......and keep dropping the price until they figure it's not worth however much beer they want.

Walt41

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
The tree is behind a rental unit I am buying, I called a pro because It is a willow and don't want the wood, tree is about 32" diameter at growing level, I would say the entire thing would be not quite on full size dump if chunked. Two guys in and out in 2-3 hours including raking/grinding and coffee. I was thinking $700-800.

TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is anyone surprised he does lawn work as well...

Not at all :blob2:

Does he do tree work with lawn care on the side..

or does he do lawn care with tree work on the side..

I have been doing tree work for over 3 decades, tried lawn care as a sideline -- mostly for my younger son. One of biggest mistakes I ever did.. that industry has more lowballers and cutthroats than the tree industry ever dreamed of.
Everybody with a pair of scissors is a lawn expert.. how the heck can you pay $20K for commercial mowers and compete with those idiots.. tried it as a side for my son.. he actually was more interested in tree care so dropped it.. sorry I ever looked at it. (but I did keep one commercial mower for myself)

Latest posts