Hot Blast - Larger Blower Unit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had our blower on our furnace set on high for a coupe years. Still heated well, but decided to turn the blower on low. Now the registers are hotter, and the blower runs longer. Its a slow constant heat, which is still forced through the ductwork.

This thread answers two questions:
Why the spring steel damper doesn't seem to function as well.
What benefit if any, would a larger blower deliver.

laynes69, good advice as usual.:cheers:

I'd recently run some 6" pipe down my chimney, that has helped quite a bit.

Now I need to find the right blower&motor to push that hotter heat into the house.
Also a new spring steel control.

I am preparing to install a larger blower on my Hotblast 1300. The blower that I have purchased is a single speed blower out of a house trailer furnace. I would like to have the ability to control the speed of the fan. Do you think that the dimmer idea would work? What size dimmer would I use? Is a 600 W dimmer large enough to handle the motor on this blower?

I purchased this stove 6 years ago and I really like it, but it just does not push enough air. I was in the process of shopping for a larger stove when I came across this thread. I am excited about upgrading my current stove.

Hook up a dimmer to a blower...and watch it cook! Need to start a capacitor-type motor on hi spd., then back down...Rheostat-type motor control best, motor/speed controller need to be matched...what is the deal with these furnaces, do they come with only a single speed motor? You can get a 3-4 spd. motor, 120 v. in a 48 frame, or others, best would be a multi-speed 240 v. blower out of a heat pump. Not to be a nitpick CCS, but your supply ducts look to be too small, too much restriction...what size is your supply duct that it ties into? Also build a cabinet around the motor, add a filter grill. Dust inside of blower motor/wheel is bad.

I got my blower hooked up yesterday. I am still playing with my thermostat settings. I was running with 120 / 80 when I had the small factory blower on it. Those settings worked pretty good for that blower cause all the heat stayed at the stove instead of being pushed into my house. Those settings are worthless with this blower. It is constantly off and on. I have it at at 150 / 80 now. It seems to be working better, but I am still not happy with it. I think it is pushing too much air. It cools the stove very quickly. I am going to look for a multi-speed blower and maybe even a better thermostat control.

Small bi-metal limit switch....some are made with adjustable differentials. That's a shame. You could graft the L4064 into your plenum, then you could adjust things some.

I have a question i have the us stove 1557 and if i add a reg furnce fan like the guy did in this forum will it cool the stove down to much? Will i have to have really hot fires all the time so it would be in creasote area on the stove pipe temp. Im thinking about doing this myself instead of the two little fans that come witht his but just wondering about cooling the stove down to much, what do you think

I have had my larger blower hooked up for a few days now. It is pushing too much air through the stove. I am having to burn the stove really hot. It cycles off and on constantly. I need something larger than the factory blower, but smaller than this current blower.

I would also suggest a variable speed fan.

A larger blower on a thermodisc would cause it to cycle on and off. A larger blower will not cool down the firebox at all. I burn on average 350 to 400 degree temps at the front of the firebox. Producing around 110 to 120 degree air. You need a good clean burn to accomplish it. If you damper all the way down and get the longest burn possible, it won't work. Get a honeywell limit/control for the furnace. It needs a 5 1/2 inch insertion. This way you can get your settings for on and off. If I keep up on the firebox, add a few splits every few hours, the blower will never shut off.

What size is your blower laynes? Is it variable speed?

What is the benefit of the Honeywell limit / control switch? What do you mean 5 1/2" insertion? It is inserted 5 1/2" into the Outer wall of the stove liner?

Its at least a 1500 cfm blower. I only use the LP furnaces blower, mines in series. The Lp furnace is a 100,000 btu furnace. The insertion is the length of the contact that enters the jacket around the firebox. Instead of a fixed on/off with the thermodisc, you can set it to where ever you like. If its kicks on too soon, you would up the temp on the control, if it shuts off too soon, you lower the off temp. That way you have a nice constant heat. I can have a 3" coalbed only, and my blowers still come on and run just fine.

There are several different models of the Honeywell L4064 fan/limit control, with different element lengths, up to 11". These are available at the Box Stores...they come with mounting brackets, or punch the hole for the element and screw it directly to the plenum. Why a lot of these forced-air furnaces have such dinky fans/cheesy controls amazes me!

My thermo disc has an On temp setting and an Off temp setting. I am not sure I understand how the fan / limit control that you are talking about would be any different. Is it because of the insertion into the jacket instead of being externally mounted?

Just work with your settings then till your happy. I'm pushing a hell of alot of air through mine, and I have had nothing but good results. One thing now looking bad stihl burnin, your furnace is smaller than the 1500, 1537g or even the 1400. You may need to place a smaller blower on the unit. That unit is rated for 87,000 btus and hour, mines rated for 119,000 btus an hour. If you could figure in a variable speed switch, you may be okay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back