Hotblast cold air return 1557 or 1537G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone out there tell me the dimensions of the cold air box with filter that you can put on the back of the 1537 or 1557 US Stove hotblast. I want to make sure I left enough room between the back of the stove and the wall. I forgot all about the box.

Mine Measures about 24 1/8 " wide x 16 1/8 tall. It is 16 1/4 deep with an additional 1 inch flange on the back for the duct to mount to. Mine is about 25 inches from the chimney and I just am drawing air from the basement. I wanted to try it that way and it worked fine so I just left it. I may at some point tie it in to the duct work but for now it is doing fine. My central air/heat unit is a couple feet from it so it wouldn't take much. Also the box uses a common 16x 20 filter. Hope this helps..

Thank you , The way the picture looks to me online from US Stove it looks like it mounts to the main body and the filter is on the back side? Do I have to cut out the holes for the return? Mine is in the basement too. It's fine with me but I would like to filter the air. If you go to the US stove website the box they show is gold color, not they say they have a new and improved model. It looks like it is slanted in the front. Does it really matter. I'd take the old style since it is cheaper

Thank you , The way the picture looks to me online from US Stove it looks like it mounts to the main body and the filter is on the back side? Do I have to cut out the holes for the return? Mine is in the basement too. It's fine with me but I would like to filter the air. If you go to the US stove website the box they show is gold color, not they say they have a new and improved model. It looks like it is slanted in the front. Does it really matter. I'd take the old style since it is cheaper

Mine is just a box that is made of galvanized tin. Yes it just simply is assembled and screwed to the back of the stove down on the bottom over the top of the fan. I bought mine but if you have someone around that is handy with a sheet metal brake I would think you could make one easily enough.

I just went to an HVAC supply house and bought a section of 12x24 duct work. It fits the back of the furnace nicely and is much less expensive ($26). I bought a small piece of aluminum angle, screwed it to the back of the furnace and then screwed the duct work to it. Here's a pic of my installation. I've since modified the furnace with a bigger blower, but you get the idea.

I called a few places and they are all out of their mind when it comes to sheet metal prices. The cheapest I got was 100 for a stupid box. None of then said anything was standardized. All is custom made. I ordered one from usstovedirect and it was 63 + 20 shipping. I still think it is way to much but I need to keep the dust out of the house. It's funny all the Sheetmetal shops are dead but they said they average $350 per 4X8 sheet of duct. No wonder they have no work.

By a 4X8 sheet of metal and some tin snips and make your own. I did not want to pay those high prices either, so I made my own. It's not hard and you can use thin angle iron to construct the box. Use rivits and self drilling screws for fasteners.
Seal the seams with aluminum duct tape. Make the cold air return box as big as you want(need). Then you can use a BIG blower instead of the small one that comes with some units.

Back