how about jonsered???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In my last post, I asked a question regarding opinions related to the 365 and 036(MS360pro). After receiving much advise, and after looking for more answers contained within this site, I almost don't want toeven deal with either stihl or husky. It seems as if they are both more concerned with issues other than creating quality products. I hear the jonsereds are a decent saw for a decent price. I know they have been around for a long time but there is only one dealer in my area that will order them but doesn't have any in stock. Are they a good pro saw? I may still look at the 357xp as a choice, but i want the best saw for the $ and jonsered may be the way to go. I would like to buy from a local dealer although the net is much cheaper for husky which pushes me in that direction. The 036 is around $500 at a local dealer. Any suggestions. Thanks.

A lost and confused first saw buyer.

A Jonsered will hang with just about any Stihl or Husky of equivalent displacement.

The Jonsered 2159 will hang with the 036 or 357xp.

The 2165 is REALLY a fine saw IMO.

Tony Snyder could tell you all about the Jonsereds but I think the gist of it is that it's currently a Husky with a different paint job and minor cover shape variations.

Glen

2 years on my 2065 and no problems yet- well, maybe the wierd part where I keep looking for dirt on the air filter- I guess that turbo business really works. :D

dave,
did you buy your saw in RI and if so, where? Any problems getting parts for it? I have been looking at the Jonsereds but have found them to be more expensive than Husky for essentially the same saw.

Wolf- that saw was my introduction to ebay, was almost new when I got it. The unit I got it from did manage to break the chain adjusting screw in the few hours he used it, O'Brien's Tree in East Greenwich fixed me right up with parts.

dave,
thanks for the info. How is the saw as compared to husky or stihl (if you have used either of the other saws and can tell me)? I am tempted to buy one just so I don't have to be part of the husky vs. stihl crowd!

With few exceptions the Jonsereds are very much like the Husky's. The 2141, 2145, 2150, 2152, 2159, 2163, 2165, 2171, and 2186 have Husky twins.

The 2142, 2083II, and 2095 do not have Husky twins, or at least not in the U.S.

These are all good saws when applied in their appropriate class of work. (I have not had any experience with the 2142 as yet).

The 2152, 2159, 2171, and 2186s are power to weight standouts. Ballpark street prices respectively are: $389, $494, $659, and $829.

tony,
are there any advantages to the jonsereds over husky? THey seem to be similar except that jonsered is advertising their engine as turbo. Are the engines similar or is that where the main difference lies? And if so, which is better? Many questions about many things, I know, but everytime I think I have my choices narrowed down, a new option appears. Thanks for your info.

Wolf- the 2065 with an opened up muffler is very close the the 272 so it comes down to a matter of color choice. If I need a little more the 064 comes out and when it's time for a big stump cut, everybody's favorite, the Jonsereds 111S comes out. You can't have too many saws. Except maybe when you find one or two that you forgot you had. :D

Silvertop power! :) You're right about that last one. "Gee, I never knew I had a 12" Craftsman." :eek:

From what little I've heard, that turbo air cleaner thing does work. Plus you get a saw that not everyone has heard of. Dare to be different.

The Craftsmans (Craftsmen?) don't bother me but I'm still trying to figure out how I ended up with four (4) O&R Mustangs. Wolf, J's turbo air cleaner is H's air injection, both work great.

Dave...
I think that turbo business really does work too. I keep looking for dirt in my Husky & Johnny...Rick/Creep

How'd you end up with four Mustangs? I didn't know they sold that many. :) All in RI?

Heck, I have three Mini Macs, but at least I remember where they came from.

Dave,
I noticed that. Thats why I carry a hammer & chisel in the woods now. To clean my Stihl air filters...Rick/Creep

The "Turbo" concept does actually seem to work; that is, keep some of the dirt from piling on the air filter.

I think Husky has the same concept, model for model.

Wolfman, what kind of cutting, and what size ranges? Hardwood, softwood? Already down? or you fell? and what diameter? Are you an experienced faller? If you are going to drop big trees you want something big enough to keep in the power band and not stall down. Its a safety issue.

Tony,
Most of my cutting is going to consist of:
1) clearing house lot, driveway
2) clearing fields (+/- 2 acres )
3) general woodlot mangement including wildlife openings/firewood for ~14 acres

The forest consists of mixed hardwood/softwood, with most of the trees probably being between 6-24dbh. I am not an expert sawyer but have operated chainsaws before and understand the general concept of use. I have just been looking at the 2159 which seems to be what I am looking for although not sure if it is big enough. Jonsered advertises it as being a real good all around saw. PLus it only costs around $450. Does any of this info help? Thanks.

Thats a fair price and it is a real nice saw. I usually sell them with 18 inch bars. (20" is about max) I also have one done by KD as my personal firewood saw.

If you think you will ever need to mount a 24" I would go on up to the 2165 or 2171.

I would buy the 2159 with an 18 inch 3/8 pitch and maybe consider getting someone to get those bigger ones on the ground for you. That why you will not be carrying around the extra weight needlessly.

I'm not implying you can't get the big ones down with the 2159, you just gotta know what you are doing.

Back