how about jonsered???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most of the trees in my area would come down with a 20" bar. Maybe a few would be bigger but it would not be common. I think I could take them with the 2159 or the comparable husky. The more I think about it, a saw like the 2159 would make more sense as it is lighter and less expensive. I don't think I need a bigger saw (or do I?) and do not know why everyone I have spoken to has suggested at least something in the 60-70cc pro range. I just want to be sure that i do not underpower myself--maybe that was why saws like the 372xp and 044 066 were recommended. Any problems with the 2159, or would the 2165 be better...or a husky?

Wolfman,
A power ported 372...can't go wrong.
Plus it will have power to run a bigger bar if you have too. Yet it is light weight for the amount of power it puts out. See Dozerdan for details....Rick/Creep

Jonsereds likely, Husky possible...

I left my trusty Jonsereds 2054 back East with my son when I moved... and now find myself in a wilderness abode again and in need of a replacement.

My prior Jonsereds was bought before the Husky merger; I get the idea that many components are now shared between the two brands, but that Jonsereds quality (especially on the 'prosumer' models) is consistently higher, and/or that Jonsereds production uses a higher quality of basic parts.

I'm looking at most likely the Jonsereds 2150, perhaps the 2145, but might be coaxed into the Husky 345 or 350. This is a tough decision, because (a) I absolutely LOVEd my Jonsereds, and I notice that most users of any high-quality saw feels the same, and (b) because of (a), I'm guessing that I won't find too many (any?) folks who've actually done a head-to-head on these models... but I figured I'd ask anyway, LOL... :)

So, any thoughts out there on this question?

Bob

lynx said:
My prior Jonsereds was bought before the Husky merger; I get the idea that many components are now shared between the two brands, but that Jonsereds quality (especially on the 'prosumer' models) is consistently higher, and/or that Jonsereds production uses a higher quality of basic parts.

My understanding was that the current Jonsered and Husqvarna saws differ only in color and handle angle, and that beyond that they are the identical saws.

lynx said:
I left my trusty Jonsereds 2054 back East with my son when I moved... and now find myself in a wilderness abode again and in need of a replacement.

I'm looking at most likely the Jonsereds 2150, perhaps the 2145, but might be coaxed into the Husky 345 or 350. This is a tough decision, because (a) I absolutely LOVEd my Jonsereds, and I notice that most users of any high-quality saw feels the same, and (b) because of (a), I'm guessing that I won't find too many (any?) folks who've actually done a head-to-head on these models... but I figured I'd ask anyway, LOL... :)

So, any thoughts out there on this question?

Bob

Bob,

I'd advise staying clear of the 2050 as it's basically a homeowner saw.
If you're in the market for Jred close to this size, you're better off with a 2054 or 2159. The quality really takes a jump ahead with those 2 saws.
I've made many repairs / modifications over the years to keep my 2050 running. With an 18" bar, it's a fine light saw for limbing and bucking up to 8" or so.
For anything larger I use the 2095 which is an excellent saw.
I have used the 2050 for 20" stuff but, it's workin pretty hard.
Good luck with your purchase :)
Paul

www.*****.com -First class service, fast shipping, excellent deal. Pick up a Husky 359 with 20" bar, 2 free extra chains, hat, and shirt shipped for $410. Open up the muffler and you will be set.

Husky 359 muffler moded is fantastic!3.9 Hp stock.20% gain moded.

There is a fair amount of mis-information in this thread. So, I'll try to paint a little more accurate picture, as I am a dealer for both brands.

Currently the Jonsered and Husky saws are almost identicle, model for model. The only differences are top and side covers and of course the colors. Internal parts are not only the same, they actually have the same part numbers. The only other notable difference is the angle of the top handles. Also, you do notice a difference when picking up a 372 and a 2171. The 2171 tank has a slightly thicker and rounder rear handle which is more comfortable.

This wasn't always the case. Saws such as the 2054 and 2083, along with some others, were actually Partner designs. They were very good saws, and there were no Husky versions of those models. As time passed however, and each new family of saws came out, they were shared by both Jonsered and Husky. So far there are no Jonsered versions of the 455/460 or 570/575 saws. The Jonsered version of the 346xp, the 2147, is not imported to the US. (I'd like to my hands on one, but I can't)

Is one better quality than the other? Not really. The Jonsered side cover has more air openings, and they sit up higher. Theoretically, it should be drawing in cleaner air but the difference is too small to be important. "Turbo" and "Air Injection" are just different names for the same thing.

One other thing is that Jonsered is a little more generous with the extras and accessories. For instance, you can get a free case with a 2145 or 2150 this fall. Or you can get the deluxe models with heated handles either at no extra charge or pay the usual premium for those models and get a free Jonsered helmet. (It's up to the dealer how he wants to do that)

Pricing? My costs on Jonsered are usually about $10 to $15 higher than Husky. I just average them out so all like model saws are priced the same.

Took the leap...

... and this time, I ended up choosing the Husky, specifically the 450. I dug into the details of whether or not the Husky and Jonsereds are indeed 'identical,' and was satisfied as to expected quality- and the 450 just seemed to be the perfect match for my needs. (No Jonsereds sibling on this model.)

Thanks all for your input!:chainsaw:

Bob

Spike

What is the difference between the air filters.
I like the low profile of the jonsered but am I losing any cfm's
Some husky owners say that the wish they had the filter Jonsered has seems to stay cleaner. talking about the 2171.

Since Jonsered is owned by the same people that own husky and since on most jonsered ser. # tags it say huskypower. Your only getting a husky in sheeps clothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

On older saws, 2095 and such there were many differences.

Mufflers.
Air filters.
Carb to cylinder mount.
Anti vibe.
Handles.
Casing castings.
All plastic.
Cylinder shape.
Etc.

I do not know about the newer model as I do not have a Husky dealer other than Lowes near me. I would not look at the size of saws at Lowes.

manual said:
What is the difference between the air filters.
I like the low profile of the jonsered but am I losing any cfm's
Some husky owners say that the wish they had the filter Jonsered has seems to stay cleaner. talking about the 2171.

You are correct about the Jonsered air filter staying cleaner, plus it is easier to clean when it does get dirty. Also, you have the choice of felt or nylon. The Husky filter has to be replaced more often and costs more to boot!

There is no loss of CFM's since both saws use the same cylinder, and either saw turning 13,500 RPM's is moving the same amount of air. The husky filter may have more filter area when it's UNFOLDED.

The Husky filter is more of an image/styling thing to give it a K&N look. And here is a little known fact: Get the XPG version with heated handles of either the 372 or the new 575, and it comes with the Jonsered filter! What does that tell you?

This is why I keep saying "The 372 isn't dead, it's RED"

manual said:
Anyone Know whats going to happen to Jonsered with the EPA.
The way the EPA stuff works is similar to CAFE with cars. It is all done with credits, so each individual saw model doesn't have to pass or fail on it's own. So, if you sell enough clean saws, you can sell some not so clean ones. Jonsered sells a lot of cat muffler models, so that's how they can keep the 2165/2171 around. At some point I would figure that there will be red versions of the 455/460 and 575/570, but who knows when.

Latest posts

Back