How about that Rec Climb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPK125

Reaction score
Has any headway been made on the recreational climb during the TCI expo? Did Druid Hill Park ever pan out as a possibility?
Josh:confused:

Druid hill park is a great place, about a ten minute drive from the convention center (I think you just go up I-83, it's like one minute off one of the "Druid Hill Park" exit). Ton's of super tree's to choose from (I already found my favorite!) I wonder if a bunch of people showed up looking like they were supposed to be there, what would happen?

love
nick

Originally posted by NickfromWI
I wonder if a bunch of people showed up looking like they were supposed to be there, what would happen?

That has allways been the best way to go about it.

Everyone must have the proper gear and all that.

The one time we let out an ope invetation there were some yahoos showing up.

Let's go for it....

OK. We should set up to meet for whoever wants to climb in Druid Hill Park. Which day is best? Nick, since I've climbed a few of the trees in the park, I'm curious as to which is your favorite?

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one. I put off calling the City Forester until just Monday of this week. At first, he said that he couldn't allow us to climb without official saction from TCI and coverage under their insurance. Then, a moment later, he said that he'd check and get back to me. That was Monday. I gave him my cell phone number, and then discovered I was in a classroom with no cell phone coverage for the last two days.

I haven't called him back today, because of something Tom Dunlap and I discussed Tuesday. He suggested that at past TCIs, folks just showed up together and climbed trees. He did have one example of someone getting (or getting threatened with?) a ticket for molesting vegetation and creating a public nusance. I don't understand the difference between our group and any other group that just shows up at the park for a picnic and indulges in their hobby, like frisbee golf or whatever. As far as I know, Baltimore doesn't have a law against climbing trees. I didn't call the Forester back on the theory that, "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

If it's acceptable to folks to climb without official permission and sanction, then I propose that we meet at Druid Hill Park on Saturday anytime between 10-4 (I just picked these hours out of the air. Better suggestions?) and climb trees. The Forester said that TCI would be in Druid Hill Park on Friday, and Tom said that this was for the student competition. I don't know where specifically in the park this is, but I hope to learn of it on Thursday, and check it out on Friday. I could produce a detailed map and make a bunch of copies and leave them with Sean at Sherrill's booth (hope I'm not getting you in trouble, Sean) by mid-morning Friday. Anyone needing a map could pick them up.

On the other hand, both Josh and Nick have first hand knowledge of great climbing trees in Druid Hill. If they want to name a central landmark as a meet-up place, I'll map that out. Druid Hill park is Exit 7A going north on I-83, and Exit 7 southbound.

Let me know how I can help by writing to me through this board, or directly at [email protected], or calling me on my cellphone at 410-979-0989.

-Kevin

So who bought what?

Lets hear about some new gear!
dude.gif

How'd I miss you?

You all must have showed up just after I left. Brian (Rocky) came and cleaned a tree gratis for the City of Baltimore, but had to go back to the show to pick up a saw.

I waited around until 1:45, but decided no one else was going to show, so I packed up and went home.

Sorry about the messed up directions, where I put "I-87" instead of "I-83," but I thought if anyone got lost, they'd just call my cell phone.

It was great to see and talk with folks. Hope everyone had a good time.

-Kevin

Back