How are Solo chain saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I good friend of mine from work just got a wood stove. His brother has land with a lot of firewood that he can cut and split. He asked me which brand of chain saw he should look at. I told him to look at a Stihl or Husqvarna. He has a friend from high school that works at a local small engine parts and repair shop. They use to sell Stihl and Dolmar. Now they stock Solo and can order Dolmar. He asked me about Solo and I honestly never hear of them before he mentioned them. He really liked the 650 with an 18 inch bar so he bought one. He's paid $280 + tax for it, his friend said he sold it to him at cost. So how are Solo chain saws? How do they compare to Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, ect.? Thanks, NYH1!

NYH1 said:
I good friend of mine from work just got a wood stove. His brother has land with a lot of firewood that he can cut and split. He asked me which brand of chain saw he should look at. I told him to look at a Stihl or Husqvarna. He has a friend from high school that works at a local small engine parts and repair shop. They use to sell Stihl and Dolmar. Now they stock Solo and can order Dolmar. He asked me about Solo and I honestly never hear of them before he mentioned them. He really liked the 650 with an 18 inch bar so he bought one. He's paid $280 + tax for it, his friend said he sold it to him at cost. So how are Solo chain saws? How do they compare to Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, ect.? Thanks, NYH1!

I really like the 650 with a 16" bar. SOLOs are great saws. And it sounds like he will have good dealer support.

He done good;)

For $280, how can you complain? I can't see how he could have gotten hurt, use it for a season or two and sell it on evilbay if he diecides he doesn't like it, may even make some money after all is said and done LOL.
Andy

ran a 651 a while back,STRONG saw for it's weight my friend owns it,treats everything like crap,I'll watch how it lasts.
it impressed me during the short time I used it,if I had a dealer near I would give them a try,kinda reminded me of an old sachs,smooth cutter for sure.

NYH1 said:
...So how are Solo chain saws? How do they compare to Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, ect.? Thanks, NYH1!

Hi,

I had a 645 for a couple of years.

The bad points:

annoying air filter fitting
front chain tensioner
lots of vibes! over twice as many vibes as my 346XPG
strong gyro forces (bad for limbing)
lots of plastic

The good points:

carb primer
fairly easy user maintenance
quite rugged
fairly low fuel consumption (not as important in the USA)
A good engine!

I replaced mine with a 346XPG and was immediately much happier when limbing! Still, my Solo was not too bad. If you don't need an ultra modern high performance saw then there is nothing wrong with a Solo. My friend uses a 651, again it is a real vibrator but rugged and surprisingly good in the wood.

If Solo would get the vibe levels sorted then I would definately look at the 651 as a mid point saw between my 346XPG and my MS460.

Bye

Nice engines surrounded by cheap plastic parts. They run great but do not seem to stay together long. If the price is great they can be a nice saw. Solo and Dolmar/Makita both have the same problems in my area. Poor reliability, both with the tool and the dealer support. I do not know anyone locally who has not sold off or otherwise disposed of their newer smaller Solo saws. It is a shame but seems to be the case. I really like the older Solo saws. I like the way the newer ones run but any time I see one it is missing parts and or all cracked up. The anti-vibe mounts seem to wear out fast and parts are hard to get. For light use with a good dealer locally I would use them if the price was right. They would have to be cheap.

How are Solo saws?

Can't really cover the whole line up with a single answer. As a line Solo now-a-days tends toward the homeowner side, and I'm not all that impressed by their small stuff. (A Dolmar exec. once told me that they are "the Homelite of Europe")

Funny part is that here in the US, their 2 biggest saws are now made by Dolmar. (6400 and 9010). They replaced the 680/690/603 family of saws which were pretty good, but older designs that were too heavy to compete today. The 667, also discontinued, would run with a 372 or 440, but weren't nearly as reliable.

The good news was the 644/651pro family, which were probably best in class when they came out, although nobody seemed to notice. They are still very competitive today. I have one of each. The 644 is very quick. The 651pro is nearly just as quick with a lots more low end. Either would outcut a 346xp, and the 651PRO, while good, falls short of the 5100. (as does everything) There was also a 651SP detuned version. (never new if "SP" stood for "semi-pro" or "special") The only negative on these saws that I ever noticed was the use of Solo's annoying little clip connecting the trigger to the throttle link.

spike60 said:
never new if "SP" stood for "semi-pro" or "special"

Hi,

the SP stands for semi-professional in the Solo line-up. I find the vibration levels to be the biggest problem with Solo saws.

Bye

Thanks guys. When I see him tonight at work I'll ask if he used it yet and what he thinks of it. It's his first chain saw so he really can't compare it to much. He's used his brothers here and there (don't know what brand) over the years but has never owned one himself. Thanks again!

I have a 633.I put it even with the old 019T, it's no 200T. I paid $150 out the door for it, so I'm not complaining.
-Ralph

NYH1 said:
He bought the 651 not the 650, my mistake!
Well, that's the one to get! Great saw that will serve him well.

If the rest of the Solo line was as good we'd be hearing about them much more often here on AS.

Back