How bad is this for you saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How bad is it to get quite abit of very fine sawdust into your engine?

Recently rebuilt a 181, running the first few tanks thru it while out cutting firewood. Started acting a bit funny so I stopped to diagnose the problem. Pulled top cover and the filter was pretty plugged. Pulled it off to clean it and found quite abit, like a 1/16 of fine sawdust stuck all over the inside if the carb throat right down as far as i could see. Im Guessing that alot was sucked into the engine as this wasent a graduadle buildup, still only on my 6-7 tank of fuel after the rebuild.

Ima order a new filter and maybe make a gasket for it when it arriver, but is it gonna be worth it, could it of already casued damage?

Had a similar event on the first XL-101 I rebuilt. Neglected to seal around the fuel line entrance to the carb. box and my fresh engine sucked in a ton of sawdust. Pulled the carb., carb. isolator and the reed. Sprayed WD-40 in all around the crank and journals and sucked it back out with my shop vac and a large plastic straw. Repeated it several times.

Sealed around the fuel line and we have been OK since.

Caution! Don't use the shop vac to suck fuel mix. Motor sparks may cause an explosion.

If your concerned about it , pull the cyl. and douche the crankcase with plenty of fuel mix , while turning the crank as vigorously as you can by hand . Repeat over and over a few times . Reassemble and hope for the best . Otherwise , just run it , and in my opinion , the crud (if any is present)will come out of the crankcase , through the ports and gone out the exhaust , during the 2 cycle action . Fact = 2 smokes can run dirty . JMO

If your concerned about it , pull the cyl. and douche the crankcase with plenty of fuel mix , while turning the crank as vigorously as you can by hand . Repeat over and over a few times . Reassemble and hope for the best . Otherwise , just run it , and in my opinion , the crud (if any is present)will come out of the crankcase , through the ports and gone out the exhaust , during the 2 cycle action . Fact = 2 smokes can run dirty . JMO

I agree, as long as the crud is just sawdust it won't hurt anything.

I have crap all around my carb entrances that either the filters haven't filtered or me or a worker, didn't get the filter on correctly. I have never worried about it and there has never been any evidence that the piston, rings or cylinders of my saws have any issues regarding this sawdust.

I don't even care if the dirt or sawdust gets into the fuel tank, every now and then, when there is a little gas left in the tank, I just swash it around and pour it and the dirt out and keep on going.

I think its only a big deal if you want it to be.

My opinion,

Sam

If your concerned about it , pull the cyl. and douche the crankcase with plenty of fuel mix ,

Just to set the record straight, the word you are looking for is douse, which means to throw or splash water (or a liquid) on something or to extinguish. Since this is a family forum, I will let your wife explain the meaning of douche.

Just to set the record straight, the word you are looking for is douse, which means to throw or splash water (or a liquid) on something or to extinguish. Since this is a family forum, I will let your wife explain the meaning of douche.

Correct, but if he flips the saw upside down and "splashes" the water up into the crankcase cavity, would it then considered a "douche"?

What if the saw is referred to in female terms?

Just wondering,

Sam

"douche" is simply French for shower, or more simply wash...

My Jonsered 621 saws only have a fine brass mesh screen for an air filter and there is always a little bit of very fine stuff that gets through. The first one (purchased new in 1981) ran 26 years, and was used very regularly including use with a 24" bar some of the time. It was a PTO side bearing that finally let go so I suppose 26 years of hard use with a bit of fine dust getting through could be a problem.

Mark

K cool, thanks for all the replys. Glad to know I dont have to worry about it that much. I took a look at my 357xp right after lookin in the 181 and there was not a spec of dust in the 357 and ive ran that thing ALOT more then the 181....35-40 cords last year. Same style of nylon filter too.

Ever hear of filter warping when they get too hot? Someone mentioned to me that they can warp, and seeings how this saw was cooked when I got it, maybet he filter got a bit warped when previous owner ran er into the ground.

I picked up an 090 that was killed by sawdust ingestion. It was seized, full of sawdust, just packed into the crankcase. The guys filter
had huge holes in it, and he was milling with it. I have never seen anything like it. I could not move the crank at all. But the crank was fine. The piston was toast, I think the cylinder was fine too. It may have only died since the crank would have slowed plowing through all the crap and overheated the saw. Those 090's are tough saws.

Dave.

Guido , get a dictionary . Heinmannm you are correct "to wash" in this case with copious amounts of gas .

How bad is it to get quite abit of very fine sawdust into your engine?

Recently rebuilt a 181, running the first few tanks thru it while out cutting firewood. Started acting a bit funny so I stopped to diagnose the problem. Pulled top cover and the filter was pretty plugged. Pulled it off to clean it and found quite abit, like a 1/16 of fine sawdust stuck all over the inside if the carb throat right down as far as i could see. Im Guessing that alot was sucked into the engine as this wasent a graduadle buildup, still only on my 6-7 tank of fuel after the rebuild.

Ima order a new filter and maybe make a gasket for it when it arriver, but is it gonna be worth it, could it of already casued damage?

It cant be good for it surely! that many fines would be like a grinding paste on the p/c.
Depends on how hard the timber is to i guess...but i would hate to see that in my saw cutting seasoned Aussie hardwood.

Cheers Dave

Guido , get a dictionary . Heinmannm you are correct "to wash" in this case with copious amounts of gas .

All the references I see indicate that a a douche is a medical term associated with body cavity cleansing. Perhaps you could post something that would reflect that your usage is correct?

douche (duːʃ)
—n
1. a stream of water or air directed onto the body surface or into a body cavity, for cleansing or medical purposes
2. the application of such a stream of water or air
3. an instrument, such as a special syringe, for applying a douche
—vb
4. to cleanse or treat or be cleansed or treated by means of a douche

All the references I see indicate that a a douche is a medical term associated with body cavity cleansing. Perhaps you could post something that would reflect that your usage is correct?

douche (duːʃ)
—n
1. a stream of water or air directed onto the body surface or into a body cavity, for cleansing or medical purposes
—vb
I was using the word Douche , as a synonym for the word flush . At the same time , I was trying to inject a little humor with my wordplay. FYI, people like to laugh . Maybe you shouldn't be so critical of others . Are you that insecure that you need to point out others (perceived in your mind) mistakes? Life is too short to be miserable , lighten up .

douche (duːʃ)
—n
—vb

-n, slang
5. an individual who fails to see the humor in and/or argues the correct usage or words used in internet discussion wordplay

:msp_wink: All in good fun of course. I really don't think anyone in this thread is a douche.

Adam

I know its not a saw but it is two stroke, I bought from my broke neighbor a four wheeler for my daughter. A suzuki lt-80, this thing sat two years before $50 made it mine. I pulled the carb rebuilt it and she runs! No air filter at all, thing was missing and Im to lazy to get one cause it keeps running. Im talking two years and countless dirt, grass, mud, snow, ice, etc in there. Still has tons of wheelie me across the lawn power. I think a couple of dust fillings won't harm. And per the douche thing, your both wrong. My boss is a douche, as in **********. He is the crap that drips back out of the ladies when there done washing. Good luck guys, I think Guido is a good guy, he just likes showing off his brains. Kinda like how I like to do burnouts in my stang, showing off its...........um power yeah yeah thats why I do em!

Back