How bad is too bad!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTM640

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All, newbie here to the saw action. I've got the bug though and just picked up a 066 redlight. Decide to take a peek at the piston and cylinder and attached is the best picture of all that I took...

So my question to you all is, how bad is too bad to run the saw or should I consider a piston and ring replacement???

I know you guys won't let me down..

Thanks

That looks really bad!

Id see a slug and jug in your future!

Pull the cylinder and look at the crank and bearings...

What condition is the saw as a whole in?

also, welcome :newbie:

Picture of the plug.

I pulled the plug from the saw that the picture above came from. Another clue on what is happening.

I like a brown/carmel colored plug but the funny looking spot on the ceramic has me concerned. I tried to scrap it off but it looks like a burn of some sort...

Thanks all...

EEEWWW!!! I'm with Stihltech and Red, yank that thing apart and check every thing out. Was the saw running ok, or did you just decided to take a peek ?? I've worked on alot of old 125 2 stroke motocross bike that have looked like that. Welcome to the site and good luck.

It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and runs strong. It was quite dirty when I got the saw. So upon taking parts off to clean it, I said what the hay and pulled the muffler to see what she looked like...

Please make your pictures smaller.
attachment.php

Big Woody, yes it's the one from the tradin post.

Manual, reduced the first picture. So it should load quicker.

It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and runs strong. It was quite dirty when I got the saw. So upon taking parts off to clean it, I said what the hay and pulled the muffler to see what she looked like...

Have it woods ported:rock: That would be one mean sob!! I have wanted one of those for awhile, and may have one soon.:D

These guys probably know better than I, and since its pretty easy to pull the jug, I say do it. The piston is gone but I'll bet the jug cleans up well enough to use again. Read up on cleaning the aluminum transfer. I use a combination of muriatic acid and emery paper. Mine have generally come out pretty nicely and I've had a few pistons look worse than that. Provided your bearings and rod pass muster, your saw should be back up quickly. Looks like a fun project!

I worked on the saw some more the other night and decided to removed the clutch. Things just keep getting better. NOT!! Looks like the oil pump is seized but on the bright side, the main seal looks darn good. Just have to clean all the crap out of there so I can see the case.

The pics tell the story for needing a new piston. The Jug will be coming off over the weekend. Until then I won't know how bad it is. At best, only a piston & rings, worst case a Piston and Jug. At which time I'll be looking for everyones opinion on OEM parts vs Aftermarket.. I'm looking at using this for a firewood/bucking saw.

As for the oil pump, not sure if a rebuild will do it or I'll need a new pump. I've sprayed it a couple of times and cannot get it to turn freely.

Looks like this is going to be a project saw now!!!

Aw man, looks like you hit the jackpot with this saw. As for an aftermarket cyl.(BB kit) i just read that Baileys still doesn't have them yet and not sure when they'll come in. On the oil pump issue, i wouldn't try and half-@$$ it with the way your luck has been with this saw. Keep us informed, and good luck.

If it were me, and if I didn't need the saw to make a living, and if it seems to start and run okay now, I'd run it until it fails. I would do the normal maintenance, change filters, plugs, etc. and use good oil (maybe a little on the rich side). It may last another 10 years of casual use.

If you have the time and ability and this is a "hobby" saw then have some fun and pull it apart and repair/replace parts. But if it's working now doing a good job of making chips I'd run it until failure.

Best of luck. Hope you paid the right price for it. Did seller make any warranties that would allow you to return it?

Last edited:
Oil pumps don't usually rebuild economically as the casing is usually the part that wears, and it's 80+% of the cost of a new pump. Buy a used pump from one of the ebay stores.

I agree with the above post - just use it... As for aftermarket - I've only seen two (both under the "Farwest" label) and - both had peeled chrome and messed up pistons within a short time.

Back