How best to bring a dead leaner down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avery said:
Why can't I see any photo(s)?

Don't know. I checked your user settings in case you had images disabled. they're on, so you should see the pics
-Ralph

Hung up tree diversion

Ribbon would not look particularly attractive in such a setting (and someone may remove it). Much better to create a fence/barrier from branches.

cut and don't run

After an initial buck or two or three you could use a simple come a long to pull it away from the tree it is hung in.
This would not be fast, but could avoid getting directly underneath the thing with continued cutting.
The limbs above don't look bad from the photo, still a very good idea not to set yourself up with a potentially hazardous work plan.

With a good cutter you could get it done easier by walking it down not at the tree it is hung in, but directionally to one side. This keeps the cutter out of the danger zone and makes it so the tree wants to roll out quicker.

In any cutting scenario, the fork will make this tree more difficult than the usual. Unfortunately, it will tend to keep it securely hung. (We can't say well h___ on this site).

We use a horse logger regularly on our forest. It is warm and fuzzy logging.
The public readily accepts it cause it looks nice and the horses are pretty. So we have him do stuff in and next to campgrounds and other high profile areas. The horse logging advice is actually a pretty cool idea from a PR standpoint in that setting. As long as the horsey don't go poo-poo in the creek.

Smoke, I buy quite a bit from "Buck", the horse logger the Bend-Fort Rock uses. I have a couple of good "action" pics. I'll get em' scanned and post em' here. Think folks would like to see he and his team work.
This Connecticut preserve would be a good place to use such a team! Computeruser, there's a good horse team in Woodstock(CT). Probably quite a few in the area come to think of it. I lived in Niantic and then Putnam for a few years. Worked with the fella' out of Woodstock. Don't know where the work needs to be done but since the entire state is only 100 by 70 miles doesn't sound like a challenge for travel. If this is a "preserve"...why take the leaner out? Don't see the imminent danger. From the pics it looks pretty solid. If you really want it out that badly. Get the K-Max folks from Danielson to do a "test" flight and fly the thing out of there!

John Ellison said:
If you go with animal power there is a site,, Rural Heritage that has a listing of horse loggers for hire. There are several listed in Mi.

That brings back memories. My last year of HS we boarded a logging team. I got to use them skidding out firewood. Great experience watching them work (and teaching a green kid how it is done). They were perfectly matched and worked together perfectly. Hook up, 'get up', they would tighten the drag then stop and lean forward to test it, back up one step and hit it. I figured that either the log was going to move or harness was going to break. Never did hook only anything really big.

Harry K

Buck the horse logger

JP:
I'm gonna be civilized and start a horse logger thread. Probably tomorrow.
I've got photos of Buck too.
We're you the guy out looking at Bucks logs at Haner Park?

Sorry all, back to the original thread. This Hi-jacking is over Mr. Marshal Sir.

That tree does look well secured.
But dealing with wood while it is still strong is an important safety issue for the faller. If it is dealt with now:

1) Safer, more predictable,
2) The faller can do more with it directionally.

So maybe, deal with it now or next year but don't wait 5 years and make it too difficult.

I've been mulling the possibility of a horse propulsion tree service. I work within five miles of my home most days except regular trips to Memphis. If A team of horses towed my trailer containing ladders, tools, and chipper, then pulled for felling and skidded, I could pull it off. but I don't know squat about horses. I'd have to find a horseman who could double as groundman. I doubt if I ever actually do this, but if a depression hit or something, I could get by with a gallon of gas a day.

I second the suggestion to find out what jurisdiction the trail is under and explore the possibility of getting an experienced crew to take care of it, ( I work on a municipal tree crew and this type of job is highly routine) however if this is not an option I would express reservations about you undercutting this thing repeatedly until it falls if you are not confident in your abilities to do it safely, your profile states that you have some experience cutting in the woods however I've known personally people of limted experience getting hurt cutting hung trees free( specifically the scenario treeco mentioned of the tree standing up and falling back towards the stump) and heard of people being injured by getting hit in the lower leg/ foot when the tree comes clear. If you do decide to go through with it judging from the pictures I would anticipate a much more likely scenario than an injury accident would be getting your bar pinched at some point, so make sure you have some wedges handy.I can think of a few tricks I could use to get the tree on the ground but really couldn't begin to describe in detail because of the variables that may be involved which I can't see from the picture. Another possibility if the trail is on private property of course is to hire a pro. A cut and leave job like this shouldn't be too expensive and it could be a good learning experience to watch. Some other things to think about, is the tree leaning hard on the other tree or has it just heaved over gently into it and still somewhat free standing?

Back