how best to bucking small diameter, bent wood, and lots of it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just build a jig out of 2x4's that can be folded and moved to whatever site. Build whatever intervals you want into it, but I like have 2 posts per section to hold the wood better and a V seems to work better to funnel the wood down to keep it from spinning or jumping too much. I also added a section of plywood to one end to butt the limbs up against. I stack them in there, cut 3 times or 4 depending on length and then grab wood without bending over and move to appropriate stack, etc. Works great - but I DON"T HAVE A PIC!!!! I'll get one :)
Somewhere in my poking around I saw the Stihl has something similar with tubes bent in a U.

Harry K

There are several versions shown on YouTube if you search for the words in the video above ('Rebak Walcowy'). Many show working details. All seem to be eastern European.

Philbert

thanks
that would be great for branches to make them usable for a wood stove
not too much a fireplace but jamming a wood stove full

Once you see something like that, it's hard to imagine doing it any other way, for production use. Could also be a good alternative to chipping for a larger scale wood boiler or furnace.

Philbert

The only thing about them that I don't find impressive is how short they make the pieces that come out the other end. I just watched maybe 15 videos and the longest product I saw coming out the other end was only about 9 or 10 inches long on a very large model that was designed to accept branches over 11 cm in diameter.

I thought about that also. They might need larger diameter chipper wheels in order to get the longer lengths. The larger wheels might need a more powerful motor, in turn, to drive them, or make a much larger machine.

Just speculating.

Philbert

I am guessing they could be modified to increase the length of the cut by replacing some of the cutting blades with blanks that would just keep the branch moving forward. That way every other location on the main blade support axles would be a gap to the next blade. It would turn a 9 inch cutter into an 18 inch cutter.

I made this out of scrap lumber and decking cutoffs. Very similar idea, but great for small limbs and saving your back. Heck, I even load decent-sized pieces in it so I don't have to bend over a ton.

unloaded. Distance between the X's is about 20"

Settled on one of these for all but the really bent stuff. Delivery should be in a few weeks.

Still have no great way to do the really bent stuff.

Vary cool! Is there a saw in there, or chopper blades, or . . . ?

What's the capacity - looks like about 6 inches in the video ? Find a local dealer, or did you have to import one?

Philbert

This has some slo-mo's of the shear/split action

Imported from the very helpful manufacturer in Finland. There are no dealers here.
Had them put a few spare parts in the crate, just in case, and also a shearing blade without the splitting wedge for when doing the smaller stuff. This is just in case I find it creating too much messy scrappy stuff. Supposedly up to 8" softwood but I am thinking more along the lines of feeding it a diet of predominately sub-5" dense wood.

Somewhat of a leap of faith, so I guess time will tell. Was just thinking the other day that everything I have, that was made overseas and imported direct has held up rather well, and yet, sadly, almost every significant bit of machinery I have purchased new from NZ manufacturers or distributors has, in relatively short order, turned into a massive disappointment and shitfight.

I like that the feed chute keeps you back aways from the point of operation. Did not realize that it also split!

Hope it works out - maybe you can become the South Pacific distributor/rep?

Philbert

That would mean dealing with 'the public' and, frankly, that's a can-o-worms I'd rather avoid. Besides, jury is still out on how good it is for south pac wood. Will take a year or two of testing to arrive at a verdict.

Interesting post KiwiBro. I've become interested in the PackFix by Posch for palletizing, and getting away from stacking. There are two models, one is a double with turn table. I found an importer through Canada. The machine is affordable, but shipping is outrageous. When I asked why so much they explained it was to ship it in a 20' container. Were talking several thousand dollars, as in six thousand! Did not make sense to me, as they import other equipment from Posch as well. He did say when I put money down they would revisit the shipping cost issue. Good luck. Hope that works out well for you. Followed your posts with interest for some time. Hey, maybe you could buy the PackFix and send it to me. Apparently Posch is not interested in a US market.

I made this out of scrap lumber and decking cutoffs. Very similar idea, but great for small limbs and saving your back. Heck, I even load decent-sized pieces in it so I don't have to bend over a ton.

unloaded. Distance between the X's is about 20"

Right here. This is the most simple, best design there is.

Here's my recent edition. I made it shorter for heavy logs, but dang it, I like it for the smaller branches also. I sometimes stack five or six on at a time.

Plans:

BTW, Philbert encouraged me to build this last year. I used 8/4 oak from the sawmill and made two of them. One of my friends uses the other one.

Too much work for me. Glued and screwed after miter cuts? Get real. A cross buck can be put together in just a few minutes and will last until you cut it up too much with your saw.

Back