How big a Stihl to run a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's just doing what he does best...drinking and running his mouth. People quit taking John seriously a long time ago...nobody's fault but his own...and it pisses him off.
He's not really a bad guy, just one with lots of problems. He's harmless.
Bull **** bob at his best.
"I have a potty mouth" with all your big brother advice.
And btw, you ain't no logger. You're a truck driver by your own admission.
Hahahahaha

Truth is that trees aren't big enough in Massachusetts for a non-professional to justify a 36" or 32" bar w/90cc saw. Tree services do have them for the occasional big yard trees. Loggers use 70-76cc saws; the 660's and 390's stay in the truck. If the OP wants to run a big hobby saw with a long bar, that's fine, but it's the wrong tool for the job. Too much chain to sharpen; saw's too heavy to fall, buck, and limb with all day unless you're logging for a living in the PNW or similar. This is what you find on Cape Ann:
View attachment 392903
Anyone see anything here that would require 90cc's???
24 "is more than enough for anay 660 with full wrap

Haven't read the entire thread, but that's not going to stop me from adding my $.02!

If you're talking 36" bar and Stihl, that's 066/MS660/MS661 territory. If you have an 046 and want to run a 36" bar, remember that even if the saw has the power to pull it (might work in soft wood) remember that the clutch and the oiler aren't designed for that much bar and chain. You can mitigate the power aspect of it by running skip chain.

I know some folks like to run short bars on a 660/661 but if that all the bar you need, I'd be running an 044/046.
I agree with you there but on here in Pennsylvania we got hardwoods like oak maple locus and dense timber like that I think the only soft stuff we have is pine and sumac so a 25 is big enough for any 660 That way it has more than enough power to get through the hardwoods

Back