How big a Stihl to run a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Kent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a larger saw to drop trees. I have a 260 Pro with 24" bar. It is fine for limbing, but I'd like a bigger saw for dropping trees quickly. I guess 36" isn't really necessary. I could do a 32". But, what saw would run a bar that size comfortably? Also I should ask what kind of chain would be best. Thanks, Nick.

24" is a lot for a 260... Heck 20" is pushing it.

36" is 066 territory. 460 would probably do it, but the oiler may not keep up.

Yes. 100%. I realize the 24" is a lot for my 260. That may be one of the reasons I don't like using it for felling. But I do come across 24"+ trees and I don't want to play with them. I just want to get on with it, hence looking for a larger saw. Used is probably the way I'll go seeing as I'm weekend warrior.

...I realize the 24" is a lot for my 260. That may be one of the reasons I don't like using it for felling. But I do come across 24"+ trees and I don't want to play with them. ... Used is probably the way I'll go seeing as I'm weekend warrior.
Someone gave you some bad advice about putting a 24" bar on a 260, which has neither the power or the oil to run it. The 260 is a quality tool but is no powerhouse in the 50cc class. Get a 16" bar w/.325 pitch semi-chisel chain for it, find a decent used 70-76cc saw w/20-25" bar on CL for $400-500, and you'll be in business. Otherwise, a 260 w/16" b/c, properly sharpened, can handle 24" ø maple or oak on occasion. A bit tedious on the falling/bucking side, but you make up for it on the limbing.

Hardwoods in Maine? I'd recommend a 90cc saw. A 461 would suffice though. You'll want the HO oiler though.
In this neck of the woods mistaking Maine for Mass might getcha into some trouble. We're ME. Our southern sisters go with MA.

You are right though, in Maine we need 90cc at a minimum because we are manly, rugged and dangerous madmen. I don't know that a mass guy from cape anything ought to have that kind of power in his hands. Besides saws that big are probably illegal down there, everything else fun is.

I love my 088 with a 36" running .404. Not sure I would run anything smaller on it though. I'm trying to find a 48" or so for it. Sure makes short work of big hickory, oak and elm trunks. But pray that you don't have to carry it far! Hahahahaha heavy beast!

Ported 660 or 661 would be my choice, works well in aussie gum

This was a mastermind 660, 36"
c47a49af99d7972b3ceefa42d0bc4ddb.jpg

I love my 088 with a 36" running .404. Not sure I would run anything smaller on it though. I'm trying to find a 48" or so for it. Sure makes short work of big hickory, oak and elm trunks. But pray that you don't have to carry it far! Hahahahaha heavy beast!

Or that you have to pay to fix it!

Ok. So forget 36". How about 32"?

Also, I actually think I only have a 20" bar on my 260. Don't know why I thought 24"

Back