How big a Stihl to run a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I will be the oddball and say 395. Thats the quintessential 36" bar saw if ever their was one. I like mine a lot more than i did my 066.

If the dogs are big enough and you have the right brand of oil any saw can run a 36". Just gotta find out what that is exactly

Why on earth do you need a 36" bar? Do you have trees in excess of 6' I diameter?

My logger buddies run Stihl 660's with 20" bars and I have never seen anything they couldn't take down. And we have some really big stuff around here.

Why on earth do you need a 36" bar? Do you have trees in excess of 6' I diameter?

My logger buddies run Stihl 660's with 20" bars and I have never seen anything they couldn't take down. And we have some really big stuff around here.
You see it all the time in the east. If a guy looks the part then he must be right? Dealers just love these kinda dweebs.
BTW, do you know where I can get a 72" for my Plilz 346?

Truth is that trees aren't big enough in Massachusetts for a non-professional to justify a 36" or 32" bar w/90cc saw. Tree services do have them for the occasional big yard trees. Loggers use 70-76cc saws; the 660's and 390's stay in the truck. If the OP wants to run a big hobby saw with a long bar, that's fine, but it's the wrong tool for the job. Too much chain to sharpen; saw's too heavy to fall, buck, and limb with all day unless you're logging for a living in the PNW or similar. This is what you find on Cape Ann:
CapeAnnMA.jpg
Anyone see anything here that would require 90cc's???

Hardwoods in Maine? I'd recommend a 90cc saw. A 461 would suffice though. You'll want the HO oiler though.

You would do well with an 066, 660 or 661 modded by Brad.

I run a 36 on my 066 most of the time. No issues with oil and certainly no issues with power.

Hal

Big shiny bars look cool in pictures on shiney new shelf queens.

Latest posts

Back