How big a Stihl to run a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are all in huh. Thanks for the help, I feel like the usefulness of this thread is pretty much done. I'll be on the lookout for a used 461-660 and plan on a 32" bar max. Nick.
This thread turned out a little different than you thought huh. Lol 461, 064, ms 650, 066/660. There are decent deals out there just keep an eye out and good luck

Why are you being such an *******?

He's just doing what he does best...drinking and running his mouth. People quit taking John seriously a long time ago...nobody's fault but his own...and it pisses him off.
He's not really a bad guy, just one with lots of problems. He's harmless.

You've been here since Tuesday and you're already lecturing people? There are things on AS that most of us will never agree on...long bar, short bar...what saw is best, what oil to use....the list goes on forever.
We disagree with each other a lot but that's okay. Really, it is. Better learn to deal with it.

I wouldn't call it a lecture, just a point of view. Reality outside of this website is that most people give a tin **** (see I'm learning quick) about chainsaws and such, and I found it fairly amusing to see someone get their ass feathers in a twist over a perceived injustice. Sorry.

As I said in my very first post, I am not a professional logger or tree worker, but I know how forums work, I'm an old hat with them. I would Never try to discourage people from getting into heated arguments over stuff that 98% of the world has never heard of or given any thought to, that's the point and fun of a forum, I just wanted to steer the guy in the right direction, no one had said anything about PNW logging or anyone else's need for a given bar size.

Anyway, if you got the right angle on the cutters and run the right oil, a wild thing can take a redwood. Just takes skill you west coast guys don't have, so you straight slope cut through em with 15 foot long bars ;)

Anyway, if you got the right angle on the cutters and run the right oil, a wild thing can take a redwood. Just takes skill you west coast guys don't have, so you straight slope cut through em with 15 foot long bars ;)

I have the Redwood, you bring the Wildthing and somebody with skill. Be sure to bring a lunch. We'll get the whole thing on video. :laugh:

41cbbae43f76a0c4ea4c5151ac9b9ca2.jpg
. 660 with 30-36 " is happy . This is my 660 with a 30" .404 . This was a large 3 spar maple with 2 spars over 30" wide. Bottom was over 60" and filled with nails . You don't need a big saw and bar often ..... But when you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not hating but i'd sure like to watch a Wildthing with a 15 foot bar cut a Redwood
Well I'd love to oblige you on that but.....the wife says....my saw's in the shop....camera broke.....

Anyway what do you mean you want to watch? Like you don't believe me? I said it can be done on the internet! The internet mind you! This obviously makes it gospel.

You guys are all in huh. Thanks for the help, I feel like the usefulness of this thread is pretty much done. I'll be on the lookout for a used 461-660 and plan on a 32" bar max. Nick.
Well, there's a group of grumpy old men on AS with scores to settle, and quite often a thread will get hijacked into a cloud of gorilla dust. LOL. Too often the ones who know the most would rather bait and criticize than provide how-t0 information. I've found that talking face to face with professionals is a more useful way to get knowledge. I've asked countless questions of my local dealer over the years and he's never steered me wrong. There's a good one your way in Essex (Mayer Power Products). I've also had the opportunity to work alongside a logging company on a thinning project on my next door neighbor's land last winter. I did what I was told, asked respectful questions during breaks, and watched carefully. Also, if you want a big saw, there's a 660 w/36" bar locally on CL that might work out for you. Good luck.

Well I'd love to oblige you on that but.....the wife says....my saw's in the shop....camera broke.....

Anyway what do you mean you want to watch? Like you don't believe me? I said it can be done on the internet! The internet mind you! This obviously makes it gospel.
It would be entertaining to say the least

Back