How can I ID this chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalterWhite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This comes from a Ryobi pole pruner (ZR 15520) I just bought. The manual only lists the Ryobi part number (690583003.) I think it is a .043 gauge chain. Here are pix.

P1000742-PP.JPG

P1000745-PP.JPG

I can see that it is made by Carlton and has 40 drive links, some marked "N" and some marked "B".

I'd like to purchase a spare and I'd also like to know the correct angles and depth for sharpening.

thanks,
walt

Well, the Oregon chain selector ( http://www.oregonchain.com/index.htm ) , which would normally be my first choice, doesn't list Ryobi!

The Carleton site ( http://www.sawchain.com/ ) doesn't list that model, but suggests that 'N' means 3/8" Low Profile chain. You photo also shows low-kickback style chain, which is appropriate for that type of pruner.

So if you know the pitch (3/8" low profile), the gauge (0.43), and the number of drive links (40) you should be able to get a chain from any dealer - STIHL, Oregon, Carleton, etc. Not all hardware or big-box stores will have the exact loop in a package, unless they are selling a saw that uses it. A good saw shop can make up any length chain loop with higher quality chain.

Since this is a Ryobi product, you also should be able to look it up at The Home Depot, in the chainsaw aisle and confirm those specs. You can also take your chain and compare it directly. However, the replacement chain they sell may be of lower quality than the one supplied with the saw.

Philbert

I have never really looked into that category of chain, but it looks like a skip and .043 version if the low-profile N-series C-BL chain.

It is not listed on the web-site, and may have been special order.

If it is .043, Oregon 90SG and Stihl PMN should fit, but I don't think they are skip......

Last edited:
Thanks Philbert and SawTroll for our helpful replies.

Looking at the PDFs I downloaded from the Carlton site, it looks like it is a Carlton N4C-BL chain which they cross reference to an Oregon 90SG chain (which I think is skip link - that's what I have on my Echo CS-306)

And I found an on line vendor that sells that in a 40 DL loop.

My only question at this point is the correct angle and depth for sharpening this chain. I skimmed over Carlton's "complete book" and wonder if I need to get the Carlton guide (File-O-plate or if I can use the Oregon guide I use for the 90SG chain.

thanks,
walt

I have never really looked into that category of chain, but it looks like a skip and .043 version if the low-profile N-series C-BL chain.

Good catch SawTroll. A lot of the homeowner style pole pruners use skip chain, I am assuming due to the small power units.

I have one of the Remington 10" electric pole pruners and it came with skip tooth chain, but I have run it with full comp chain (Oregon 'S40' series 91 low profile, low kick-back, 3/8", 0.050, 40 drive links) and it works fine. Can't really force these lighter duty saws anyway.

Philbert

I would just sharpen at 30 degrees straight across with a 5/32 file. I wouldn't touch the rakers the first time and give it a try. You can always take a lick or two off them later.

I realize this is a VERY old thread, but just in case someone is looking for replacement chain for this, it's what I've been cutting with (2008 Ryobi TP30.)

The drivers are .043 gauge, as SawTroll said. The original Carlton is a safety chain, but (since I discovered the rock one of my trees had grown around) I'm currently running Oregon R40, (90 Micro Lite™ 3/8 in. (9.5mm) pitch, .043 gauge, sharpens with 5/32 in. (4mm) file.) I sharpen both the R40 and original Carlton chain at 30º. I have never found the R40 in box stores, so have been buying this on eBay. I've also seen Oregon 9040 for it on eBay, but have not tried that yet. (Maybe they are the same?) I'll be trying that out, in the future, to see how it goes.

Here are the eBay search terms I use for both of these: "oregon (r40,r-40)" and "oregon 9040 chain"

It does quite well for my needs with the R40, and I've cut much larger branches with it than I'm guessing it was made for. One of the really nice things about this particular tool, is that in its short configuration, it's the ideal length for cutting up on the ground, without a lot of bending over. My back appreciates that.

Again, I know I'm bringing up a really old thread, but wanted to add some info here, in case anyone else is still using one of these.

Yes, it is Oregon Type 90 chain (3/8, low profile and narrow kerf, .043 gauge). It is sold in consumer packages as 'Rxx' chain, where 'R' means Type 90, an 'xx' equals the number of drive links in the loop.

Type 90 chain is used on several pole saws, and some battery operated chainsaws.

This can be harder to find than some other chains, unless the store currently stocks the saw that uses it. But it usually can be ordered, found on-line, or be made up by a saw shop.

Philbert

Back