How can people be soooo low????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 Truck4:

$250 a Cord. U'all must not have much oak out there. Back here it averages $60 a rick. You don't see it advertised by the Cord here. A Cord is two Ricks, am I right?

+1 Truck4:

$250 a Cord. U'all must not have much oak out there. Back here it averages $60 a rick. You don't see it advertised by the Cord here. A Cord is two Ricks, am I right?

If a cord is two ricks, its $120 a cord, and that seems a little cheap for even around here.

After my post I did a research. A rick is measured height x width only. It is also called a 'Face Cord'. A Cord is the official means of selling firewood. That is; wood 'tightly stacked' that equals 128 square feet has a dimention of 4 feet long pieces x 4 feet high x 8 feet wide.

When I was young, we cut firewood to stack 2'Lx4'Hx8'W, and called it a Rick of wood. Today I see it sold in pieces 14" to 16" x 4'x8', and called a Rick.

So; a 4'x8' tightly stacked 16" pieces of wood is 1/3 Cord. This is what I see for sale these days. At $60 per rick that would be $180 per Cord. And as 8433jeff stated.........That's still cheap.

And then there's the ironically named Snow family:

http://www.necn.com/02/08/11/Police...ng_newengland.html?blockID=406512&feedID=4206

We've been having a real problem with snow and roofs in this area...today's the first day in 10 I haven't heard / read of a building collapse; last count I saw Mass was at 170 and Connecticut has to be well over 300 at this point...everything from ranch houses to 300,000 s.f. indoor motocross arenas! Still, most residential roofs seem to run around $300 - $500 upwards to $1000 if you have something unusual but smaller then a mansion. Not just the labor, I'm sure as soon as a contractor calls his insurance agent and asks for the price for worker's comp and liability to do snow removal, dollar signs appear in the agents eyes.

Edited: Connecticut must be over 600 total by now. Dept. of Ag just released their latest -- they're now over 300 farm buildings alone that have lost roofs or worse.

Last edited:
Way to step up and do the right thing. One of my good friends that I have learned alot from on sharpening chains and rebuilding saws was just released from the hospital from a heart attack. He's 87 years old and was rebuilding saws and mowers until his heart attack. You never know when that day is going to come to where you need assistance from someone else.

Thanks guys, around here there when it starts to get cold you see alot of adds and such pop up about selling wood, alot sell it by the pickup load (just thrown in) there is one that even sells by the wheel barrow load???. My wife had some nice business cards made up for me and on the back she had the amounts listed 1 cord=128s.f. or a stack 4x4x8, 1/2 cord 64s.f. and such.

I try to cut all my stuff to 16" that way its easier to stack it out (3 rows). In the past few yrs. I have had several people tell me that the last person they got wood from said that "thats a half cord or even one said it was a full cord" and only got half that. There is NOOOOO place around here to cut wood (except pecan out of the orchards) so most of it is hauled in that is what drives the cost up

I have only got about 7 more yrs till I can retire and I am thinking that I would really like to get into this alittle more, I feel that there is a decent market around here for wood, just not to many suppliers (and honest ones to boot) This yr. has not been to bad as of last night I have moved ~12-15 cords, which for just a "hobby" thinking that is not to bad. Anyway thanks again hope all you guys out to the East are doing ok and staying warm

Roy

Last edited:
Whooie ! Only 3F / -17C degrees this morning. Still have running water in the house. Ended up with 4.5" of snow from yesterday. It won't be going anywhere for a few days.

the problem is eventually enough people are going to complain about getting ripped off and guess who is going to step in and "regulate" fire wood.......the dreaded government.

all because some jerk-offs want to make a quick buck.

THAT!! sounds like the usa gov heads!!!!:D:D:D

Trucking is expensive

Thanks guys, around here there when it starts to get cold you see alot of adds and such pop up about selling wood, alot sell it by the pickup load (just thrown in) there is one that even sells by the wheel barrow load???. My wife had some nice business cards made up for me and on the back she had the amounts listed 1 cord=128s.f. or a stack 4x4x8, 1/2 cord 64s.f. and such.

I try to cut all my stuff to 16" that way its easier to stack it out (3 rows). In the past few yrs. I have had several people tell me that the last person they got wood from said that "thats a half cord or even one said it was a full cord" and only got half that. There is NOOOOO place around here to cut wood (except pecan out of the orchards) so most of it is hauled in that is what drives the cost up

I have only got about 7 more yrs till I can retire and I am thinking that I would really like to get into this alittle more, I feel that there is a decent market around here for wood, just not to many suppliers (and honest ones to boot) This yr. has not been to bad as of last night I have moved ~12-15 cords, which for just a "hobby" thinking that is not to bad. Anyway thanks again hope all you guys out to the East are doing ok and staying warm

Roy

Long distance anyway, for something like firewood. I am wondering if buying hardwood logs by the rail car and getting t delivered to some siding might be cost effective. Imagine being the only guy in an area with primo firewood. Bonus points if your firewood processing area had it's own siding. Or an alternative, collaborate with a partner elsewhere who packages the wood up there, already split and stacked and strapped to pallets, so when you deliver it, you just drop pallets off, it comes pre stacked in other words, then just pop the bands or take the shrinkwrap off, etc. 1/4 cord on a pallet maybe, something like that? You'd need an equipment trailer with ramps obviously, but maybe get by with a powered pallet jack for the delivery? Keep the regular forklift for unloading the rail car and arranging around your yard.

Have to find the nearest location to you with much cheaper wood, check various rail line shipping options, where you could establish a yard, etc. Who knows, might be some member here could work the other side of the operation.

Have to do a lot of number crunching, but depending on your market it might work.

Sounds like a plan, until you involved the railroad. Never had much luck there, least my father didn't, and my ex-FIL worked for one. Your stuff gets delivered, matter of when is the problem, hardwood coming down the line getting there in May would be an expensive miss I think.

Just thinking bulk delivery

Sounds like a plan, until you involved the railroad. Never had much luck there, least my father didn't, and my ex-FIL worked for one. Your stuff gets delivered, matter of when is the problem, hardwood coming down the line getting there in May would be an expensive miss I think.

With firewood you need to be at least a year in advance anyway, so it is seasoned, plus less weight to ship, truck or rail line. I have no idea what it costs to ship by rail, but it has to be cheaper than by truck. So maybe time lag wouldn't be so much of an issue? You want to be stockpiled well in advance there.

All I know in business, is if it is cheaper over yonder, and you can get it to where it is more expensive to retail, like where you are, and your shipping costs are included, and it still is a deal, that is called profit and is how modern business works. When you have all the firewood guys in an area all having the same basic cost, and same access to the same wood, how can you stand out? You have species to offer, stages of seasoning, cost, how neat it looks for the customer and all that to take into consideration.

Now I haven't run any studies at all, just remembering way way back I helped some folks with their firewood business. If they had stuck to local, no profit, waste of time, too much competition, etc. Everyone knew someone with a woodlot anyway. So, they go upscale, delivering into upscale bean town. Only "pretty" wood in perfect sizes, hand delivered, some times up elevators, to rich people. Value added steps increase what you can charge. Those guys use an old school bus with the seats ripped out for their delivery truck, wood coming from western mass. Wood that might have got them break even status and a few bucks a cord chump change for all that work, they made hundreds from instead, just be totin it down into the big city.

Similar sort of idea, just getting good wood that doesn't exist in an area with good demand, then figuring out cheapest way to do that, to get it moved there. then you stand out among all the other local wood guys. Rail cars just have a rep for being cheaper for bulk heavy commodities transport, which firewood would have to be considered.

The only anecdotals I have from rail cars and wood are some woodshops/factories I worked at (total, three) in my 20s that bought and brought raw hardwood logs (white birch, rock maple, birds eye maple, etc) and turned them into finished products, and the logs got delivered by rail car right to the facilities, not by tractor trailer OTR, because it was loads cheaper.

Long distance anyway, for something like firewood. I am wondering if buying hardwood logs by the rail car and getting t delivered to some siding might be cost effective. Imagine being the only guy in an area with primo firewood. Bonus points if your firewood processing area had it's own siding. Or an alternative, collaborate with a partner elsewhere who packages the wood up there, already split and stacked and strapped to pallets, so when you deliver it, you just drop pallets off, it comes pre stacked in other words, then just pop the bands or take the shrinkwrap off, etc. 1/4 cord on a pallet maybe, something like that? You'd need an equipment trailer with ramps obviously, but maybe get by with a powered pallet jack for the delivery? Keep the regular forklift for unloading the rail car and arranging around your yard.

Have to find the nearest location to you with much cheaper wood, check various rail line shipping options, where you could establish a yard, etc. Who knows, might be some member here could work the other side of the operation.

Have to do a lot of number crunching, but depending on your market it might work.

There is wood avalable if you are willing to either travel for it or have it trucked in, there is a guy that has a pretty good size wood yard about an hour north of me that has lots!!! of semi loads brought in each yr. never been to his place but have heard that he is kinda a jerk:confused:

I have been able to make contact with some that could deliver semi loads, (20-22 cords each) but the up front cost is what is keeping me down. Thankfully thru this post I have made a contact "redprospector" that runs a thining operation about 2-2.5 hours from me, we have talked and hopefully within the next few weeks I going to make a run up to him for a load (can haul 4-4.5 cords on my set up with each load) and see what we can put together for a more continuious supply for me were Im at. I also have a contact for bundles but again its 2 hour drive one way for me, have gone and got some several times and it works out ok

Well, good for you man!

There is wood avalable if you are willing to either travel for it or have it trucked in, there is a guy that has a pretty good size wood yard about an hour north of me that has lots!!! of semi loads brought in each yr. never been to his place but have heard that he is kinda a jerk:confused:

I have been able to make contact with some that could deliver semi loads, (20-22 cords each) but the up front cost is what is keeping me down. Thankfully thru this post I have made a contact "redprospector" that runs a thining operation about 2-2.5 hours from me, we have talked and hopefully within the next few weeks I going to make a run up to him for a load (can haul 4-4.5 cords on my set up with each load) and see what we can put together for a more continuious supply for me were Im at. I also have a contact for bundles but again its 2 hour drive one way for me, have gone and got some several times and it works out ok

--sounds like you are getting it together quite well, best of luck! You have a CDL? If so long run your own big rig might work out.

I don't think at this time anyway I would like to enter the firewood business, not mass quantities bulk, I am more inclined to just cut my own wood as needed, then do some milling, and build custom furniture from the wood. Along with working on saws, that might be my retirement gig.

I am "semi" retired now myself, but have to admit reality on getting older and might need to look for something less physically demanding, mostly due to a bad injury I got in the 90s. I really *like* cutting and splitting and so on, though, and do my share of it. And if I do do firewood for sale, most likely little designer bundles and low volume at that, just whatever I can carry in my truck whenever I go to town. I can handle that level now, and might think about it for next year if we keep having abnormally cold winters in my location. I'm planning on cutting a lot more through this winter and spring and summer than I normally do, just to have it, and then perhaps to help offset fuel costs, etc. I got a hunch fuel is gonna go through the roof again, then stay there this time. Main reason I ain't giving up my little datsun diesel, dang best mileage on a truck evah...I'd like to get a better body, mine is a total rat, but the same truck, then keep this one for spares, etc.

--sounds like you are getting it together quite well, best of luck! You have a CDL? If so long run your own big rig might work out.

LOL one of the dumbest things I have done in life (we wont get started on THAT list) but I used to, once I got into the Fire. Dept. and was not driveing anymore I let it expire, now my dad has one, he is retireing sometime this yr. soo if I could put things to gether I got a driver, just tell him that for his time driveing I'd kick him how ever much he and mom need to get thru the yr. Im hopeing that redprospector and I can really get something good going together like I was saying we talked on the phone and he seems like a good guy to do some business with so I think that will pan out

Like you said to I just enjoy being outside!!!! and for some strange reason I enjoy cutting / spilting firewood, sooo figured why not try and make something of it once I retire....

Back