How did i "fix" my old 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobosocky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Alright, so the saw has been sitting a few years. It ran good once it was going, but if it sat longer than a day or two, it was a bear to get fire up. Talking like 50 pulls.

So like a kid with a screw driver I started pulling the saw apart today without a plan. Before doing this I dumped the old gas and put in some fresh stuff. Saw sat on its side a lot, flipped every which way, pulled the carb, noticed one of the coil wires had been pinched behind the carb and a little frayed.. moved it to the side and reinstalled everything.

Gave it a single pull, cause why not, and it fired off like brand new.

What ? The ? F ....

I am wondering if it will fire off like that again after it sits for a few days, but whatever is/was wrong with the saw must be minor...

Any thoughts?

Alright, so the saw has been sitting a few years. It ran good once it was going, but if it sat longer than a day or two, it was a bear to get fire up. Talking like 50 pulls.

So like a kid with a screw driver I started pulling the saw apart today without a plan. Before doing this I dumped the old gas and put in some fresh stuff. Saw sat on its side a lot, flipped every which way, pulled the carb, noticed one of the coil wires had been pinched behind the carb and a little frayed.. moved it to the side and reinstalled everything.

Gave it a single pull, cause why not, and it fired off like brand new.

What ? The ? F ....

I am wondering if it will fire off like that again after it sits for a few days, but whatever is/was wrong with the saw must be minor...

Any thoughts?
Congratulations! You found the kill switch wire!

I would conservatively estimate that two-thirds of all the chainsaw starting problems are electrical in nature. That has been my experience.
Then the other one third is most often the choke in the airfilter is not closing tightly, this has been the single most difficult to start problem I have found on the 026`s. More than 50 of them have passed through my hands and if I can assure the choke is closing tight on them they are easy starters.

Then the other one third is most often the choke in the airfilter is not closing tightly, this has been the single most difficult to start problem I have found on the 026`s. More than 50 of them have passed through my hands and if I can assure the choke is closing tight on them they are easy starters.

And 95% of the time it is due to using an aftermarket air filter.

And 95% of the time it is due to using an aftermarket air filter.
The aftermarkets are often bad right out of their wrapper but even the OEM ones will warp with age and useage, they might even appear to be tight fitting but in reality they are not completely seated, the carbs with the choke butterfly built in were the best for choke operation, Stihl managed to save a bit of room by using the choke in the airfilter route.

Alright, so the saw has been sitting a few years.

Before doing this I dumped the old gas and put in some fresh stuff. Saw sat on its side a lot, flipped every which way, pulled the carb, ...

Any thoughts?
I’m going to be the odd man out and say you had a bad fuel problem. Did anything get changed with that frayed wire? If that was causing a problem, it would likely have made the saw shut down while running just as much as while starting.

Since the carb body and the studs that hold the carb to the airbox are not grounded to the engine or chassis on the 026 a wire pinched in under the carb it would have no effect on the spark, the airbox is totally insulated from ground also.

To me a majority of saws that run well but cold start difficult seem to have a choke problem, the butterfly closing fully. Either plastic warpage or bent linkage not allowing it to seal enough usually. Removing the air filter and closing the carb with a thumb will get them going if that's the problem . If your saw stays running on full choke more then a few seconds it's probably not closing well enough either. If it has a good primer bulb the choke usually doesn't need to seal as well as without.

I have experienced this as as well....service alot of these 026, and 260's. There are 4 different air fllter part numbers. The lever on the backside is what opens/allows to close the choke. Correct air filter will allow the carb to be choked......Good Call pioneerguy600!

I agree and I think after market air filters are a culprit. You have to really push the choke lever down to close the choke shutter. Once started mine would start all day long on first pull.

Latest posts

Back