How Did YOU Get Started?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickrosis

Manned by Boderators
Reaction score
I looked through the archives and didn't see anything relating to this, but if you've already discussed this, sorry, although maybe some newbies have input.

What got you started in this industry? I hear a lot of people asking how to get started, but I'd like to know what turn of events put you in trees.

I'll start...I grew up in a family that lives and breathes the family tree and landscape business. Every day, my dad would come home and share about the day's work, and I would get excited hearing about the jobs. As little kids, he took us out for estimates and for visiting job sites. Once I was older, I could work with "the men" and participate.

Things grew each summer as I picked up new tricks and forgot half the ones I learned the summer before. Now, I'm going to school and hope to continue the business as my dad would like to pass off some of the stresses of running it and start to enjoy what got him started - the trees.

Nickrosis

Well Nick, I don't have ANY family in the green industry. My father works for the telephone company, and my mother works for IBM. When I was younger and we lived in the old neighborhood there was an older guy who used to a cut a few lawns with a little lawn-boy mower. The guy still does it to this day at 85. So I used to watch him cut grass. Then we moved up to where I live now, and the guys who cut lawns had bigger machines, so now I would watch them cut lawns. When I was 8 my father let me start to cut the lawn. When I was 12 I started getting my first lawn customers. At 14 I started seeing people doing tree work and took an interest in it. At 15 I went to work for a small tree company. The owner put me up in a few trees. I got my own BASIC climbing gear that summer. My junior and senior years of high school I went to a vocational school for urban forestry. I started getting tree jobs coming to me from neighbors and friends and such. I started the company when I was 17. After I graduated high school I went the following fall to UMASS for Landscape Contracting, and switched soon afterwards to Turfgrass Management. Sometime this week I will be switching to Arboriculture. So that's how I got started I guess?

I saw an ad in the classifieds, "Tree Climber Wanted. Will Train." That's it. Simple as that.

Mid Life Career Change

I needed a job, both for the $$$$ and to keep my head on straight after retiring from the Army after 22 years. I worked for a couple of temp agencies, but got tired of working for idiots, driving an hour to get to work and construction, which is not my forté. So this position showed up in the local UI job bank and I applied. I think my boss was a little surprised someone with my backgound would want to get into this business from the ground up((University degree/officer and all!) and in fact had asked his father in law, a retired Major about what my background was all about. Well seven months later I still do not have a job in Supply Chain Management or Logistics operations, and I am still working with trees, in fact am his only employee at present. I would enjoy this but for the $$$$$, so the job search still continues..........:confused:

I think you need to find the niche job where people have remote homes with trimming need on their trees. You could be dropped onto an island with your climbing gear, trim or remove the trees, treat as needed, then head out for the next job. I imagine that could be pretty high-paying.

Keep the scabbard on the 088 while you jump.

Nickrosis

I`m not in the business but I remove fallen trees from the lines on about a hundred miles of trans Canada two track and everything in between.

I got in in 1967 for the money. I was in college and Davey was paying $2.15/hour for climbers. Didn't know what to do with all the left over cash. Then I got addicted to it.

Bob Underwood

LOL Kevin, I'd like to chase it about 25 Miles dont really want it on top of me
:D

Was shaking pecan trees for some extra income . Found out real fast it was much easier than bucking Hay.Moved out west The co. gave me a pick up , Axe & a flat file. With a list of stumps to chop. Well I caught up to the removal crew & stayed.

i just started up a few months ago. i run the garden dept at the local home depot and have been doing that for about 8 years. tons of my friends have lawn business and i would help them once and a while on the side. there's only one problem w/ that,
i hate mowing lawns!!!!!! after about the 1000th customer asking me if i knew anyone who does tree work, a light went off in my head and i thought that i could. i looked around town and there are a few big guys but everyone that i spoke w/ seemed to have a bad taste in thier mouth about them. that's where i'm sliding in.
i'm a florida state certified nursary professional w/ a b.a. in environmental biology and i'm studying for my isa exam. i'm so psyched about this that i'm having trouble falling asleep some nights when i'm thinking about making my full time job at the depot my part time job!!!!!! business is really taking off, i've got 5 estimates to do this wed after work and if i get 3 of them it will last me the rest of the month!!!!!!!!! gotta love it!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by Nickrosis
I think you need to find the niche job where people have remote homes with trimming need on their trees. You could be dropped onto an island with your climbing gear, trim or remove the trees, treat as needed, then head out for the next job. I imagine that could be pretty high-paying.

Keep the scabbard on the 088 while you jump.

Nickrosis

Me up a tree never-I am afraid of heights! I would be easier to do with a chopper, now that would be expensive.

Actually jumpîng with an 88 would be a pleasure compared to some of the loads I have fallen out of a plane carrying!:eek:

Answered an ad in the paper, luckily it was with a quality company and I learned the right way from the get go. Was doing real estate management for my dad before that, so it was my first real physical job, loved being outside even though I ended up back in an office for a while before starting my bus.

Thanks for your replies - it's been great to hear how differently people get involved. You can tell JPS is gone when a day goes by without him posting. ;)

Nickrosis

Last edited:
I just started but have some background with a degree in Environmental Biology and worked for the US forest service as a wildlife biologist (USFS can be good and can be bad!!). I got tired of watching the local tree service guy butcher trees and lead everyone to believe that all trees need to be removed. I love the work and have already built a good business. People wanted a change or at least a choice. My angle on this business is to give the customer the facts and to do what is right which does not always put the most money in your pocket at the time but in the long run integrity will prevail.

Speaking of John Where did he go? he sent me E-mail last thursday and havent seen him around since.

When I was a kid my parents were fond of scolding the kids by repeating the mantra "money doesn't grow on trees".
So one lazy summer morning, when I was about six or seven, I wandered out into the backyard and came across a little ash tree. It was shorter than me at the time.
Something special happened between me and that little tree and I thought to myself, while taking in the beauty of her leaves, "Why can't they be money"? In that thought I refused to accept my parent's limiting beliefs and a seed was planted.
So it's true as you probably know... Money does really grow on trees.
God Bless All,
Daniel

My grandfather pruned Citrus commercially (back when the growers pruned the groves). My father grew up doing that,did a hitch in the navy, then went to work in the steel mills(northern Indiana). He worked part time for a residential tree care company for a few months to learn more aspects of the trade then went into business for himself (one of the great frustrations of hiring help in this trade. LOL) I grew up in the industry. After spending a couple of years overseas I returned to the USA and went into business with a saddle, rope, pole pruner and a borrowed chainsaw. 17 years ago! I'm still small time-by choice. I love the work (well most of it) and the independence of self employment but don't want the head-aches of employees etc.

Originally posted by MidwestTree
(USFS can be good and can be bad!!).

You sound like Dr. Alex Shigo! He said something like that when we visited him (www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/ssa/events/shigo). Right now, Michael Dombeck, the former USFS chief, is working a floor below me as he tries to get a natural resources project built on campus....I wish there was more of a focus on arboriculture at this school, but there's still time. I've got two more years on this campus!

Nickrosis

Back