How did you get your first customers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman19

Reaction score
I've got 3-4 years of experience in tree work, and been trained to climb by 4 different guys, each with 10-20 years experience. I want to get some tree cutting jobs to do on the side but not sure how to go about getting customers. Would putting door hangers out be worth the time? I currently work for a company but not making enough money, which is why I'm looking for side work.

I would start with family and close friends first. Let the word of mouth help spread you abilities. I'm too humble to accept any form of payment from family unless it equates to trading work or food but not money.

Another way would be to talk to other tree trimmers in the area and see if they are overwhelmed with work and would be wiling to sub out some of there work.

You would be shocked by all the people that read the posts in grocery stores and restaurants, free estimates is a great draw. Good Luck and try to avoid the area that your regular job covers.

Door hangers can be inexpensive. I make up my own and am very selective on who's door I hang one on. CraigsList is a good inexpensive advertiser. The only thing with CL is that you are competing with all the other hacks who are willing to "cut" home owner trees for money. Make your ad reflect your proffessionalism and work ethic. I got tired of seeing all the Hacks tree service ads and took an hour or two to make up an ad of my own. I made sure to add about a dozen kick ass climbing pics just to out do the competition. Good luck to ya. Most of us started out small and then our good work ethic helped us grow.

I started my company by customers asking me to... I had jobs lined up before I legally formed my company.

I worked for a company that did not have a stump grinder. I got a grinder and started offering to grind stumps when the trees were down. When I got busy enough to make a living grinding stumps I quit my job and started grinding stumps full time. I made enough grinding stumps to buy insurance and equipment to get back into the tree business.

Latest posts

Back