How did your wood season this year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MishMouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This year it has been a terrible year for seasoning wood for me.
It has been a cool, cloudy and damp summer.
We still had heavy frost in June, and we were already dipping into the 30's in August. September was one of the warmest months we had this year, though with the warmth came heavy thick fog that normally lasted till around noon.

Some time ago I asked the question does wood season better in the Winter or Summer. Typically the obvious answer would be Summer, but for the past couple of years for me it actually has been Winter. The main reasons in Winter we have low humidity compared to the high humidity of Summer, in Winter we have more days of clear sunny weather (though it may be -20, it is still sunny) compared to our Summer. So under a tarp or black plastic, Winter does seem to season it faster then Summer at least of the global cooling weather we have been getting lately.

I didn't notice any difference this year. I keep my wood outside but covered on the top, and season for 1 full year so it gets summer and winter drying. For us this was a really dry summer very little rain and all the lakes are very low. You said you are covering your wood with a tarp? I hope you are just covering the top of the wood. Completely covering it with a tarp it will never dry out, tarps just trap moisture inside, your wood needs lots of air flow.

Last edited:
This was the hottest summer I've known in the PNW. It was so stinking hot my rounds dried out and split on their own. :dizzy:

The worst year up in Maine. Rained steady May, June and July.

Mid August and September were great drying months though...

Here in the southern appalachians we are 6"-12+" above normal for rainfall, so needless to say it was a humid drying season. A red oak that I salvaged back in the spring after falling across the railroad track dryed ok, but had an unusual "souring" smell; I suspect that the spring sap was full up when it fell, and the sap probobly fermented in the log.

MISH!! your right on with are area this year. coolest and wettest summer i can remember, for drying wood winter is still best! i dont cover my wood for the simple reason that we normaly dont get that much rain... out in the open with free wind and sun drys out great in summer and low moisture in the winter finish,es the job for next years burning!!

I keep my wood in my garage, which usually gets so hot that it'll suck the moisture outta ya if you stay in it too long, just like a kiln. But here in Pennsy, we only had about 3 weeks of real hot weather, and while my wood is good to go, I can tell it was a little different drying this year. Wood that is stacked outside is wetter from this crazy weather, but it should be good to go as it was split 1 year ago; but I can tell a difference even in the garage.

Very weird weather...snow flurries here yesteday and today.

The worst year up in Maine. Rained steady May, June and July.

Mid August and September were great drying months though...

I'm in Maine too and I agree. Very wet may, june, july but august and september drying conditions helped make up for it.

I'm lucky too because my stacking area is wide open to the southwest so it gets a lot of sun and there is usually a breeze on it too out of the west.

woodpile-1.jpg

very wet in south East PA this winter, I have a cord of cherry that I am not sure will be ready until late winter now. Not worried about the ash though.

There were 4 days in June when it didn't rain here. July not any drier. Glad everything was split and piled last winter. A dry Sept. dried out the wet moisture (as opposed to green moisture) and allowed me to bring in the barn without the fear of mold and 'shrooms.

Season??? What does that mean..??? KIdding. Here in NE Ohio it has been real good to those that need to season. I'll be burning dead ash for a long time, damn EAB.... Marc

Not all that far from you, temps here were pretty much the same, but most of the early season rains seemed to go around this area, it was very dry till this month.

My woodpile was showing very good checking on the ends, after the last wet month, most of it has swelled back shut. One day in the hot dry basement, and that checking comes right back though. I guess it kind of verifies some people's claims on here that there is a big difference between unseasoned wood, and wood that is just wet from weather.

I do not cover my stacks until late fall, just to keep snow and ice out of the house. Need to get after it before long.

The elm and Walnut rounds from last winter, dried enough to shrink loose of the bark. Not bad really.

Red Oak form last winter is burning nicely.

My woodpile is well shaded, and uncovered.
It's gotta be the winter drying, because spring and summer were too high in humidity to dry anything!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The elm and Walnut rounds from last winter, dried enough to shrink loose of the bark. Not bad really.

Red Oak form last winter is burning nicely.

My woodpile is well shaded, and uncovered.
It's gotta be the winter drying, because spring and summer were too high in humidity to dry anything!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

About 18 months or so there was one of the cover v. uncovered stack threads. It took the direction where some were saying that rain can help in the seasoning process. I wish I could remember who, but one of the guys chimed in, saying he was going to wet his stack down with a garden hose.

My pile is in plain view of the road and I thought that would be fun - not that the neighbors need anymore evidence that I'm a little unconventional.

Neighbor: Whatcha doin' with that garden hose?
woodbooga: Trying to get my wood to dry faster. Silly.:greenchainsaw:

(One of my neighbors has a weiner dog and walks by our house like she's got a stick in her bum and her head in the air. And...oh wait here she comes. Glad I didn't turn off the outside water yet. Be right back.)

About 18 months or so there was one of the cover v. uncovered stack threads. It took the direction where some were saying that rain can help in the seasoning process. I wish I could remember who, but one of the guys chimed in, saying he was going to wet his stack down with a garden hose.

My pile is in plain view of the road and I thought that would be fun - not that the neighbors need anymore evidence that I'm a little unconventional.

Neighbor: Whatcha doin' with that garden hose?
woodbooga: Trying to get my wood to dry faster. Silly.:greenchainsaw:

(One of my neighbors has a weiner dog and walks by our house like she's got a stick in her bum and her head in the air. And...oh wait here she comes. Glad I didn't turn off the outside water yet. Be right back.)

booga, ya need help.
Seriously!

Everyone knows wood dries faster if you Vaccum the woodpile weekly!

Don't forget the dust buster. Your neighbors deserve it! :laugh:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back