How do I get a dead branch down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Are there any ways for a homeowner to get up a tree to cut down a branch that's dead but fully attached?

I just spent close to $1k on wood harvesting equipment this month so I'm not looking to blow another few hundred on a good pole saw or some other big equipment.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a handful of those foot pegs that screw into trees for hunters to get up to the stand. I do have a 30' ladder. Never used it in my treeline though. Just up against the house.

Looking for safe but looking for cheap.

Another option is to tell the power company to do it the next time they come around.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Are there any ways for a homeowner to get up a tree to cut down a branch that's dead but fully attached?

I just spent close to $1k on wood harvesting equipment this month so I'm not looking to blow another few hundred on a good pole saw or some other big equipment.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a handful of those foot pegs that screw into trees for hunters to get up to the stand. I do have a 30' ladder. Never used it in my treeline though. Just up against the house.

Looking for safe but looking for cheap.

Another option is to tell the power company to do it the next time they come around.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581

https://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-48-Rope-and-Chain-Saw/dp/B0000AX849
This may work for you.

Just cut the tree down , problem solved :D
Call a couple of arborists and get some quotes , might not be that bad .

It's not that pressing an issue. I just wanted the free wood to harvest given that the branch has been dead a couple years.

I can just wait.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I've also thrown a line on some broken branches and pulled them down .

This branch is around 8-10" in diameter. With my luck it'd fall on me and knock me out or worse. If it were even remotely loose I'd throw a line over and tie it to the back of my Forester and pull it down. Did that with my old S10 and it worked like a charm to rip stumps out of the ground.

-Emt1581

This branch is around 8-10" in diameter. With my luck it'd fall on me and knock me out or worse. If it were even remotely loose I'd throw a line over and tie it to the back of my Forester and pull it down. Did that with my old S10 and it worked like a charm to rip stumps out of the ground.

-Emt1581
Video the event.

If you decide to try and take the limb down yourself, don't shoot video, you can only do one thing at a time. Also, remember that 32 feet per second squared is probably faster than you can think, react, and run. If you try it from a ladder, remember that 32 feet per second squared is how fast you will fall. So, buy the time you can think, "Oh Crap, I Screw Up", you'll be back on Planet Earth, Joe.

No offense, but climbing a ladder to cut a dead branch because it's a good source of firewood is a terrible idea. How much wood is up there, 10% of a cord? So $25 worth? Just not worth putting yourself in that kind of danger for so little reward.

what did u get in tree equip for $1k

I was curious too. Not to critique, but to see what a rookie thought was needed. When I get into something new I tend to go overboard on "all the stuff". Just to find out 5 years later I got half the wrong stuff and it hasn't moved since I got it. With hind sight I think I would have stretched the budget just a little more and got something like an 18 inch, 40 CC Echo For $299. Good mid grade saw. A DHT or TSC wood splitter, on sale for less than $900, and a Fiskars axe. Ten years from now the saw should still be cranking, the wood splitter would still be rolling and if you wanted, could probably sell for about what you paid. I'm getting old, the kids are gone, and I have more disposable income, so I tend to work backwards and buy the big stuff first. Like a new 660, Joe.

Latest posts

Back