How do I kill a tree without cutting it down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and girdling kills the tree above the girdling cut. For many species, deciduous especially, the stump will retain the ability to send up fresh shoots. But if you're persistent these can be dealt with.

It's best to avoid chemical herbicides if possible, but sometimes the need is justified. Me, I go a long way to avoid chemicals.

What is the species? What is the size of the tree? Are there any other trees/plants/structures nearby? What, if any, restrictions does New Zealand have on the use of chemicals/herbicides or other methods of killing or the removal of trees of this type?

Newbie with his first post. I think he's just pulling everyone's leg to get a rise. Why would anyone want to kill a tree without cutting it down?

Oh wait - if you have an annoying tree from the neighbor's yard that you want trimmed or removed and he doesn't....
I suppose that's a good answer.
Not unlike a neighbor's annoying dog.
Fortunately I don't have one of those!

Newbie with his first post. I think he's just pulling everyone's leg to get a rise. Why would anyone want to kill a tree without cutting it down?

Oh wait - if you have an annoying tree from the neighbor's yard that you want trimmed or removed and he doesn't....
I suppose that's a good answer.
Not unlike a neighbor's annoying dog.
Fortunately I don't have one of those!
Uncle, it's hard to know why someone might want to kill a tree without dropping it, but the possibilities are endless. The best reason I can think of offhand is to leave the dead snag for wildlife habitat. People often want me to remove a tree just because it's dead. But nature provides dead trees for wildlife, so I do my best to keep them in place unless they threaten structure, road, or drive.

Though probably not the OP's incentive, I girdled some ironwood trees just last week at my camp property so they'll die and dry standing. Within a year or two I can harvest standing dead, mostly dry & ready to burn wood that would hold more moisture if I dropped it in that predominantly wet river & lake country.

I've girdled thousands of trees.

Mostly doing woodland improvement. girdle the junk so the crop trees have more room to grow. It is often faster and safer than felling them. They do less damage coming down (usually fall apart in pieces), and like @old CB said, they are very beneficial for wildlife.

I've girdled thousands of trees.

Mostly doing woodland improvement. girdle the junk so the crop trees have more room to grow. It is often faster and safer than felling them. They do less damage coming down (usually fall apart in pieces), and like @old CB said, they are very beneficial for wildlife.

I do the same and for the same reasons plus it is very easy to do.

Sometimes it take a few years but it surely works.

Swing in the dark; does this involve you getting more sun or less debris in your swimming pool? I hate those sort of arguments between neighbors.

For certain, providing wildlife habitat and halting growth to encourage other growth are legit reasons, but not a commonly offered service… and opening of this thread throws out a malicious vibe.

Hopefully I’m wrong!

Latest posts

Back