How do I remove the clutch and drum from my 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamcbrayer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I inquired about my 440's chain rolling while my saw is idling. Received several answers and believe I am on to the issue. Took of the bar and chain and before I get started I thought maybe I would ask since many a man has battled with this saw on this issue in this forum (I'm assuming). Just looking for some advice and/or directions to remove so I can check the springs and such. By the way, the saw dies when I engage the chain brake. Thanks in advance, Kevin.

You have one or more broken clutch springs.

Take off the circlip holding the sprocket on. Remove sprocket and washer, take care to watch for the bearing. Grasp clutch drum and pull off. If there's wear on it or the shoes, it might take a bit of effort to remove it. But springs, best to replace all three. Check condition of shoes and mating surface of drum. Replace if needed.

Apply a bit of grease to bearing, and reinstall parts. If sprocket has a bit of wear, replace it as well.

Yesterday I inquired about my 440's chain rolling while my saw is idling. Received several answers and believe I am on to the issue. Took of the bar and chain and before I get started I thought maybe I would ask since many a man has battled with this saw on this issue in this forum (I'm assuming). Just looking for some advice and/or directions to remove so I can check the springs and such. By the way, the saw dies when I engage the chain brake. Thanks in advance, Kevin.

People have their own ways to do it. The way I take the clutch off is with a 3/8 air gun. Make sure you have it going in a tightining fashion because it is a left hand thread. Also, I like to have my other hand gripping the flywheel as I apply quick bursts with the air gun.

Now, some guys have broken cranks with an air gun and will tell you differently how to remove the clutch. My way works for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Kevin

You have one or more broken clutch springs.

Take off the circlip holding the sprocket on. Remove sprocket and washer, take care to watch for the bearing. Grasp clutch drum and pull off. If there's wear on it or the shoes, it might take a bit of effort to remove it. But springs, best to replace all three. Check condition of shoes and mating surface of drum. Replace if needed.

Apply a bit of grease to bearing, and reinstall parts. If sprocket has a bit of wear, replace it as well.

Let me ask you, I had removed the circlip, sprocket, and washer, and yes I couldn't remove the clutch drum. What's the best way to remove without damaging anything?

Chainsaw kid, It's hard to follow you on that procedure, I'll try rbtrees way because I originally tried it but the clutch drum was difficult to remove. I'm just waiting on his or someone elses response on another question. Thanks man.

If you need to take the clutch off and don't have an air gun:
1-Clutch is reverse threaded, (righty loosy, lefty tighty)
2 take spark plug out, stuff some thin rope that wont fray down in the plug hole, about 8" worth. Leave some hanging to remove. (this will stop your piston from turning)
3 you should now be able to turn the clutch off without turning over the engine.
sometimes they are on very tight, make sure you have the right sized wrench and are turning the correct way.
Good luck and don't break anything.:monkey:

If you need to take the clutch off and don't have an air gun:
1-Clutch is reverse threaded, (righty loosy, lefty tighty)
2 take spark plug out, stuff some thin rope that wont fray down in the plug hole, about 8" worth. Leave some hanging to remove. (this will stop your piston from turning)
3 you should now be able to turn the clutch off without turning over the engine.
sometimes they are on very tight, make sure you have the right sized wrench and are turning the correct way.
Good luck and don't break anything.:monkey:

Make sure the rope does not go into a port, bring the piston up above them before you start stuffing.

Is the clutch drum stuck? Will it rotate without turning the internal assembly?

You might be able to use a small oil filter wrench and the rope method (to lock the cylnder) and remove the drum that way.

Make sure the rope does not go into a port, bring the piston up above them before you start stuffing.

Good call. I made that mistake before and found myself replacing rings when all I wanted to do was clean the gunk under the clutch! ooops

Follow RBTree's advice. You will not have to worry about removing the clutch at this point. Concentrate on trying to finagle (?sp) the clutch drum off. If it requires a bit of force on your end to remove it manually, don't worry about it, just pull it off.

Thanks for the help. I don't actually need to remove the clutch if I can find some dang springs to replace the broken and old ones. The shoes are fine. If I can't find some springs I'll have to spend $30 to buy the whole new clutch assembly.

And I also already removed the drum. I was just being to gentle. took the pliers to it with a wrag wrapped around so I didn't scrape Up anything. I just need springs. Where can I find 'em?

OH,,,you're just talking bout the drum? my bad.

Last edited:
And I also already removed the drum. I was just being to gentle. took the pliers to it with a wrag wrapped around so I didn't scrape Up anything. I just need springs. Where can I find 'em?

I think dealer only. I put the part # on your baileys post.

Oh yea, I always forget about the place I buy my saws. I haven't been there in a while. Your right, they'll have what I need. I would have thought Bailey's or that guy on E-bay named Curtis would have had some for the cheap as well, but just clutch assemblies for 30 bucks. Come on man.

Yeah you don't need anything besides springs....so I would just buy them from your local dealer...they are reasonably price anyhow.

Chainsaw kid, It's hard to follow you on that procedure, I'll try rbtrees way because I originally tried it but the clutch drum was difficult to remove. I'm just waiting on his or someone elses response on another question. Thanks man.

Sorry, I read what you wrote in your title "How do I remove the clutch and drum from my 440? " and assumed you wanted to take it off. Anyhow, good advice from people to take the drum off and inspect/replace broken parts. Good luck.

Kevin

Back