How do you become an arborist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gretchen

Reaction score
I live in Michigan and I can't seem to find a school that offers arborist training or certification. Does anyone know where I might be abe to look?
Thanks,
Gretchen

I went to Paul Smiths College in upstate New York. They offer forestry and urban tree management . Some people learn through working with a tree company but you need to learn alot about more yourself through books too. Contact the International Society of Arboriculture P.O. box 3129, Champaign, Illinois 61826-3129. Im surprised that Michigan State doesnt offer it . John

I live in Michigan and I can't seem to find a school that offers arborist training or certification. Does anyone know where I might be abe to look?
Thanks,
Gretchen

I worked with the forestry and am certified with the USFS. We just fell trees in rural areas. I became quite good falling trees and became top sawyer in a small crew of 30 men. I was the sawyer when we went out on fire and really liked it. I don't have the knees to go out on fire anymore but cutting trees is in my heart now, I love it. I always respected arborist for their superior knowledge of rigging and courage. I have been collecting my own gear piece by piece and was wanting to get some training as well. Did you have any luck with that address "John Paul McMillin" gave you?

I forgot to say I am also living in Michigan as well. I moved from New Mexico a few years back. I am looking for information about training in Michigan.

Last edited:
I'd hope that Gretchen is a certified arborist by now. LOL

Mr. HE:cool:

River bend Mich. They have an arborist school there, perhaps it's Gretchens

Last year was contacted to become a teacher/mentor. Too far away to make it work, the commute would have sucked-
:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back