How do you coil your rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use old chlorine buckets. They have a screw on lid and are pretty easy to get a hold of. keeps my rope dry and out of the way. I used to coil and let the help coil and it seemed my rope was always hung on something or getting a knot in it. Not to mention it stays out of the grease that seems to accumulate in the back of my truck.​

Hey DT, make sure those buckets a real clean. Don't like chemicals in my rope at all, rope in my chemicals sounds even worse!

Hey DT, make sure those buckets a real clean. Don't like chemicals in my rope at all, rope in my chemicals sounds even worse!
Yeah I clean them. A little dawn dish washing liquid and they are squeaky clean. When I first got the idea to use them I considered what chlorine might do to the rope. These buckets are bigger than 5 gallon so my 200 ft 3/4 bull rope fits in it perfect.

Can I have your bags - seeing as they're unused? :)

We are using them for other stuff like the big gear bags with the little built in roofs we are using for canvas crane chokers and some of the rope bags are used for lanyards, whoopies, slings, etc. But I do still have some on the shelf that may be used sometimes until I can't stand them again.

Yeah I clean them. A little dawn dish washing liquid and they are squeaky clean. When I first got the idea to use them I considered what chlorine might do to the rope. These buckets are bigger than 5 gallon so my 200 ft 3/4 bull rope fits in it perfect.

They used to sell Arborplex in buckets. Don't they tip over in the pick up bed all the time?

One thing nice about them is they used to sell the little plastic tops you could buy for them and it made them a nice seat to take a break on.

They used to sell Arborplex in buckets. Don't they tip over in the pick up bed all the time?

One thing nice about them is they used to sell the little plastic tops you could buy for them and it made them a nice seat to take a break on.
There is so much crap in the back of my truck they don't have room to tip. Its a real cheap storage solution and worth a try. I worked with another guy that used an old suitcase. Worked good but looked tacky as hell.​

in 2006, I showed up at the local TCC, with 3 suitcases for gear inspection, and got some comments about going on vacation..:)

I never thought about it looking tacky... IT JUST WORKS... have all the friction savers, ascenders, biners loopies and handsaws, extra prussic cord etc floating about the bottom or stuffed in the pocket.... flake the rope on top, drop in the saddle, tuck it in and zip it up... When that bag is by the tree, I know I have what I need in there.. And its MY GEAR... hands off... its turf....

Easy to carry... move, store, etc... I think the idea was originally credited to Tom Dunlap, though I don't know if he thought of it himself...

The other nice thing is the price is right... I pick em up curbside on trash day and just lightl;y reinforce the bottom with other free materials..

in 2006, I showed up at the local TCC, with 3 suitcases for gear inspection, and got some comments about going on vacation..:)

I never thought about it looking tacky... IT JUST WORKS... have all the friction savers, ascenders, biners loopies and handsaws, extra prussic cord etc floating about the bottom or stuffed in the pocket.... flake the rope on top, drop in the saddle, tuck it in and zip it up... When that bag is by the tree, I know I have what I need in there.. And its MY GEAR... hands off... its turf....

Easy to carry... move, store, etc... I think the idea was originally credited to Tom Dunlap, though I don't know if he thought of it himself...

The other nice thing is the price is right... I pick em up curbside on trash day and just lightl;y reinforce the bottom with other free materials..

His was red paisley, sorry if I offended, like I said it worked great.

I'm fussy about how my ropes are stored, and I tried over and over to teach my groundsmen, but everytime I open the side door of the truck it's a tangled mess. Bought a rope bag have never had problems since.

Back