How do you fix this Jonsered 2238

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almondgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The brass studs pulled out of the plastic crankcase. Anyone perfected a repair? Need to keep the top cover on somehow Help.........

Attachments

• jonsered2238 001.JPG
    jonsered2238 001.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 42
  • jonsered2238 002.JPG
    jonsered2238 002.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 39
  • jonsered2238 003.JPG
    jonsered2238 003.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 39
I think plastic welding them back in could work if the case plastic will adhere to the brass plug as it cools down. If I was going to try it I would shave off a little strip of matching plastic from something to use for filler, and then I'd only heat the brass piece to avoid further damage to the case.

I might spin the strap around so the metal hooks are at the bottom of the saw but they clear my hand just fine now. Back to the drawing board for Jonsered/Poulan/Husqvarna. Do they care about this and their other poor designs, NOT

Attachments

• 2238strap 001.JPG
    2238strap 001.JPG
    823.1 KB · Views: 13
I might spin the strap around so the metal hooks are at the bottom of the saw but they clear my hand just fine now. Back to the drawing board for Jonsered/Poulan/Husqvarna. Do they care about this and their other poor designs, NOT

Poulan, actually - but the real culprit is that it is an "entry level" saw, not meant for much more than pruning the roses occationally.

Almondgt , if you search the chainsaw forum with 'brass inserts' you'll see that there are inserts with barbs on the sides to grip better .
I'd try the JBWeld and if it pulls out again then get better inserts .

Interesting reading and thank you scottr for the heads up. THREAD INSERT FOR 5 MM PLASTIC THREAD made by Husqvarna part number 5032 739 01 $5.69 each at Bailey's . Helicoil and the like don't work. JB weld not so much for plastic but very good for metal cases. Flipping the brass insert in from the bottom of the mounting hole is an avenue but using jb weld to secure it and cutting up the lightly formed plastic housing this insert sits in could get messy but not likely make things worse than they already are.
I will keep the strap on my saw for now. Can't warrant spending any money on a poorly built saw. Have too many saws I can use that I like using. Maybe someone will chime in with a fix that will change the world!

Back