How do you Get your Firewood out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a quad and a small garden trailer to get it from the big trailer/truck to the back yard where it's stacked to dry, then use the same set up to get it back to the house in the fall to burn. I just bought a smaller utility trailer that should speed things up, it hold 3x what the smaller one carried.
But to get it from the woods to the truck/trailer, I only cut stuff I can pull up to or close to and move it the old fashioned way, by hand.

holy cow! nice pics Karl!

How has your Tundra held up? I hear good things about them. I am 17 and dying for my first sled! I want a work sled to pull wood and etc like u are doing, but i'd still like to be able to trail ride and etc. in comfort.

Craig

This is pretty flat land around here.Usually if the ground is solid,frozen whatever you can just motor in with a pick-em-up truck.

My case is a bit different than most because I live right smack in the middle of the woods.Besides that I get the stuff delivered to the house for free because I'm such a nice guy.:hmm3grin2orange: Actually that's not the case,I help out two tree services with their equipment problems on occasion.

The Tundra

Craig

The Tundra is not much of a fancy trail riding machine, but a rather basic work sled. Light weight, easy to maintain, very fuel efficient, quite well made, and very popular in Alaska amongst hunters and trappers. You certainly can take her on longer rides, just don't expect too much comfort or "up and go", like I said, a very basic snow machine. Younger riders tend to prefer being seen with something more flashy :) Come to think of it Craig, the newest Tundra model looks a bit more that way, mine is built in 2000. All in all, I am very happy with my Tundra!

Karl

I can see that if a guy is cutting commercially hauling firewood out by hand would not pay. However, I'm just cutting it for my own fuel-wood use and it certainly does pay then. Not only do I have a 10 year supply of firewood for home & water heating under cover, but cutting and hauling is health-giving exercise too!

BTW: yesterday I took my garden cart out in the woods again. Used it to haul my chainsaw, tools, logging chain, come-along, etc. and it went between trees and over rough ground very nicely. Made it all in one trip and didn't use a drop of gasoline either.

Nice Alaska photos!

I just cut wood for myself. I hand load and have to cut down small enough to be able to pick it up or roll the larger rounds up the trailer ramp. I get dual use out of the 4-wheeler with the deer hunting/recreational use. The truck can be driven other places as well.

When you are cutting for personal use there is a point where you are no longer saving money on energy costs by spending a ton on equipment to get the wood. At least that is the way I see it.

Matt

When you are cutting for personal use there is a point where you are no longer saving money on energy costs by spending a ton on equipment to get the wood. At least that is the way I see it.

Matt

Good point, I don't think any of us are trying to suggest go out and break the bank with a new atv, or big fancy tractor. I simply have the equipment for the farm, so if i have the equipment I am going to use it. The title of this thread is "How do you get your fw out?" Us with equipment are showing how WE get out wood out, just like you are sharing with us how you do. If you cut small amounts of wood and are able to and happy with doing it by hand, good on ya.

It's not only the dollar cost you are saving or spending, it's also the toll it's taking on your body as well as the time saved

Craig

Good point, I don't think any of us are trying to suggest go out and break the bank with a new atv, or big fancy tractor. I simply have the equipment for the farm, so if i have the equipment I am going to use it. The title of this thread is "How do you get your fw out?" Us with equipment are showing how WE get out wood out, just like you are sharing with us how you do. If you cut small amounts of wood and are able to and happy with doing it by hand, good on ya.

It's not only the dollar cost you are saving or spending, it's also the toll it's taking on your body as well as the time saved
Craig

Believe me, if I had access to more equipment that would make collecting firewood easier, I would not hesitate to use it. But I couldn't afford to purchase that kind of stuff just for firewood. If the farmer whose land I collect wood on offered to come down with the bucket tractor and load wood on my trailer, then by all means.

Some of you can probably collect and haul more wood than I can in 10 days. My next upgrade in the firewood cutting area is to invest in a better saw.

Matt

I use my quad and quad trailer in my woods for firewood. If I can stick to flatter ground I can get around with 1/4 cord in the trailer. For more hilly locations my loading drops a bit. The trailer manually dumps as well which helps unloading a bit and the wheels are under the trailer so its barely wider than the atv.
In terms of cost, we have propane heat which would probably run us $2000 a winter if we used it. So at ~$10,000 for the atv, trailer, splitting maul, woodstove, and 372 all purchased new, I think I'm going to break even about February this year, and I'd think I've got quite a few years left in the equipment!
Here's my only pic of the trailer.

I need to cope with the hills, so I use a Gondo. Good machine, but I wish it had a diesel and larger bed. Oscilates & articulates.

I use a John Deere skid steer and a 14x7 dump trailer with 4ft sides. I pull that with a 1-ton Dodge Diesel with a 8x9 flatbed with 4ft sides. I can load a cord on the truck and almost 2 cords on the trailer. Makes for a heavy load to tow but it works.

Scott

our wood rig

This is our wood rig; Kubota B1750, home built pto driven log splitter, 12' wagon. Not real expensive, but sure works for getting the firewood back to the house (less than 1/4 mile of open field). Wagon loaded up with Locust.

Your flatbed can hold considerably more than 1 cord, better than 2 cords, actually, and the trailer can hold better than 3 cords.

I suppose you know this already?

I use a John Deere skid steer and a 14x7 dump trailer with 4ft sides. I pull that with a 1-ton Dodge Diesel with a 8x9 flatbed with 4ft sides. I can load a cord on the truck and almost 2 cords on the trailer. Makes for a heavy load to tow but it works.

Scott

Your flatbed can hold considerably more than 1 cord, better than 2 cords, actually, and the trailer can hold better than 3 cords.

I suppose you know this already?

That is thrown in. I don't waste the time to stack it. I know it will hold a lot more but if I stacked it full there would be to much weight. Moving 8-9 ranks at one time with the trailer weighing 5k empty is enough weight.

Scott

:jawdrop: 14x7 trailer that weighs 5k...Is it made out of lead?

I know the mechanicals of the dump add a bunch of weight,but my 8.5x24 enclosed car hauler is just a tad over 3000

Latest posts

Back