How do you haul your saw and gear on your atv?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Spoon"

"Spoon"

ArboristSite Member
I was wondering how you all carry your gear on your atv. Pics would be appreciated. Yes I am looking for ideas to steal. I need something that can be taken on and off fairly easily. Thanks again AS.

hoyt38

hoyt38

ArboristSite Lurker
I made two boxes with 2X4 side and 3/4" plywood bottoms. The one for the front rack holds the saw's and one for the back holds the maul, log chains, gas, wedges, vise, etc. The front saw box will handle a saw with 20" bar and for the 28" bar I had cut a notch in the side. The front is held by a couple 3/8" carriage head bolts and the rear is just held by bungy straps. Sorry I don't have pictures.
I also usually tow a 4X6 trailer behind the wheeler for bring the wood out also.

jcappe

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Polaris ATP

I have one of the Polaris ATP's. It has a little bit shorter seat and a mini truck bed that tilts. My 5 gal bucket with wedges,oil,gloves and a few tools, my ms290 and my ms211 along with a twelve pack of busch light fit perfect!

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Tractor supply used to have a saw holder that clamped onto the rack bars on the back for about $60. You could copy that if you have a welder for free or maybe $10 in metal from your local scrap yard.

headleyj

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
I made a rack that cantilevers out 9" past the rear of my stock rack. I'll try and get a pic tonight but I'll describe it:
- 3/8 plywood traced in the exact shape of my stock rack...then add 9" for length. PLywood will flex more one way that the other - make sure the strong way goes front to back on the ATV.
.....well rather than describe it here's a sketch...

attachment.php

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
That Cracks me up you autographed your sketch. LOL :cheers:

This is the rack I have for mine, it's okay does the job, kind of a PITA to put it in and get it out a bunch, i'd be nicer if it had some kind of Cam-lock system to lock the bar down. i got it on a clearance sale at TSC a few years back for 25.00.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=273292

Last edited:
727sunset

727sunset

ArboristSite Operative
I have a plastic shipping tote that sits on the rear rack, held on by 2 bungees. It holds my Partner P500, gloves, fuel, bar oil, rags, cant hook, Fiskars SS axe and the helmet. Everything fits in and rides well. Traxter has a generous size storage compartment which holds lunch and drinks, tools, wedges, web straps and extra chain loops.
I don't regularly carry the Dolmar 7900 unless there is larger wood to cut. Since it doesn't fit in the box it rides upfront, secured by the handle.
My wood comes home on a 6.5 x 10 flatbed trailer, 3500# axle...3 face cord per load.
And of course a few pictures for better illustration.

July2810004.jpg

July2810005.jpg

July2810006.jpg

headleyj

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
That Cracks me up you autographed your sketch. LOL :cheers:

This is the rack I have for mine, it's okay does the job, kind of a PITA to put it in and get it out a bunch, i'd be nicer if it had some kind of Cam-lock system to lock the bar down. i got it on a clearance sale at TSC a few years back for 25.00.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=273292

that's actually habit :) I work in medical device and we have to sign, print and date almost EVERYTHING.

Iska3

Iska3

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a plastic shipping tote that sits on the rear rack, held on by 2 bungees. It holds my Partner P500, gloves, fuel, bar oil, rags, cant hook, Fiskars SS axe and the helmet. Everything fits in and rides well. Traxter has a generous size storage compartment which holds lunch and drinks, tools, wedges, web straps and extra chain loops.

Hey 727, I like that Idea. Easy to make and remove. The slot will keep the saw in place and still have a lot of room for oil, tool box etc.. The best part is when you take it off, you have everything in one spot. Thanks for the great pictures.

Rep sent..

aandabooks

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
I either bungee strap stuff down or I'll have it ride the 17 cu. ft. lawn cart that I pull with me to get the wood out. If I can't get the saws out with the last load of wood, I'll just make another trip with an empty wagon.

cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
I haul mine one a 4x6 deck-over trailer that I just built.

If you want something for your quad, you can try <a href="http://www.trackshare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25635&highlight=chainsaw+holder">this</a> or <a href="http://www.trackshare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25149&highlight=chainsaw+holder">this</a>.

HTH

GrizzlyAdams86
My sportsman came with the OEM Polaris boxes. They attatch through the "grab handle" holes on the ends of the racks. If you want to remove/install them just give the latch on the bottom a half turn. The rear one can hold most of my small to med. saws\ wtih up to a 20" bar, gas/oil/water jugs, etc. The front box holds chains, hitch pins, clevis, axes, etc. If I need to haul more I've got the 10 cu. ft. trailer since my other atv trailer doesn't have sides yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

"Spoon"

"Spoon"

ArboristSite Member
My sportsman came with the OEM Polaris boxes. They attatch through the "grab handle" holes on the ends of the racks. If you want to remove/install them just give the latch on the bottom a half turn. The rear one can hold most of my small to med. saws\ wtih up to a 20" bar, gas/oil/water jugs, etc. The front box holds chains, hitch pins, clevis, axes, etc. If I need to haul more I've got the 10 cu. ft. trailer since my other atv trailer doesn't have sides yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I like your trailer. Did it come with the atv tires or was that a mod?

Latest posts