How do you keep your bar from gumming up over the winter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmett518

Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna chain saw. After use, I thoroughly clean the saw, scoop the goo out of the bar channel with a piece of thin cardboard, and sharpen the chain.

I've never had a problem starting the saw after having it laid up for winter, but I have had hassles with the bar. The chain gets gummed up, and the sprocket seizes. I have to remove the chain and bar, soak the thing in tons of WD40, and clean everything up. It's a major PITA.

Is there something I can do before putting the saw up for the winter? Should I remove the blade and bar, and rinse out the bar oil with some solvent? Or should I just start the saw every month, and run it for two minutes or so?

Thanks
Emmett.

Welcome to A.S.!

Are you running bio (vegetable) or dino (mineral) oil?

Vegetable oil will gum up. Mineral oil should not in that length of time. If running vegetable oil - flush some mineral-based bar and chain oil through before storing for the season.

It will protect your oil pump too.

Philbert

Just having a joke. Welcome to the site.
Maybe greasing the tip on a regular basis will help. I never have used grease on the tip personally. I am assuming it is not the tip but the bar and chain as you say. What size saw is it? It is very unusual. Since the clutch is centrifugally activated then a little problem may seem big. Likely you could warm it up and the oil will start to flow and you bang the bottom of the tip over the top of log and hit the trigger at the same time and repeat. Maybe you could manually oil it first or free it up by loosening the chain and then rev it loose for a few seconds and then tighten it. A very common practice for chain throws when the drivers mushroom over and want to jam in the bar. It's all part of it.
Just don't smoke your clutch. You can't keep hitting the trigger if it doesn't go.

I’d probably just take it apart & hit it with some brakleen before you get it out in the spring. Then grease the tip and run it if you’re having that problem.

I’ve never honestly had that happen before. Even on saws that have sat for a year or more. I would make sure my bar oil was good. I had some Husqvarna oil that would gunk up a chain but never to the point where it seized a sprocket.

I wish I could be more help, but the saws I run a lot I run pretty much year-round and they don’t get a chance to sit around during the winter with storm cleanup and road building.

Is it stored in a wet area? I've had a few saws come in over the years that sat in a wet basement, barn, etc or outside even and the chain rusted to the bar. Though usually it had been sitting for many years.

What kind of wood are you cutting and what are you using for bar oil?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I cut oak, occasionally soft woods. Pretty much everything.

I use Husqvarna bar oil, but I do have to admit that my oil is probably 12 years old. I don't cut a lot of wood.

Is it stored in a wet area? I've had a few saws come in over the years that sat in a wet basement, barn, etc or outside even and the chain rusted to the bar. Though usually it had been sitting for many years.
Dry cellar. Heated.

I use Husqvarna bar oil, but I do have to admit that my oil is probably 12 years old.
If it is regular oil, and gumming up when stored but OK when you cut, I would just clean the bar really good before storing.

You can replace the oil, or thin it up to 20% with clean kerosene (we do this for cold weather cutting too).
Philbert

Your Problem is a new one to me, my 266XP "Old Reliable" is 28 years old, and I normally use Husqvarna Bar Oil, I've never had the trouble that you are.

My saws have always been stored in dry places, but never heated, but I will admit that my bar oil never got 12 years old, so I can't say how that age might affect it;)

My saws will sometimes "Mark their territory" with bar oil, but it has never "Gummed up"

Good Luck, and if you do figure it out, Please share it with us, so we don't have that happen.

Welcome to AS:hi:

Doug :cheers:

Your problem is you let it sit. Just make sure you use it every few days then no problem. At least for me. It is best to keep it warm by using it more often. Or when you clean it leave the bar off. You could hit it with WD then store it. Thanks

Everybody have they own way to clean or protect the saw, chain.
If I don't use the saw for a long period of time, I clean the saw with SKID penetration oil and I soak the chain in kerosene or diesel fuel and keep it there till I need it.
Never rust or gum up. When you ready to cut again, just take it out let it drip and install it on the saw. After 10 minutes of run grease the tip. Enjoy it.
13245-002-0001428_m.png

Suggestion.....after you clean the bar and sharpen your chain.....you might want to fire up the saw and run it for a minute or two so the chain and bar get recoated with fresh bar oil before putting it away. That may solve your problem!

Back