How do you keep your firewood indoors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my stove is right next to the door going outside to our basement patio. I keep about 10 days worth of wood in a very large rubbermaid patio storage bin which sits just outside the door. I always have the next few pieces to burn sitting under or near the stove.

Attachments

• IMAG1157.jpg
    IMAG1157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
I take about 4-5 wheelbarrow loads and dump down basement stairs, which I put ramps on. This lasts about a week, I stack it up next to furnace, overnighters in one row, big stuff in one row, small stuff in one row; the wife will put wood on if it is right there, not if she has to go outside.
This is my 3rd year on this setup, no bugs. All my wood is oak, cut split and stacked 6 to 12 months on pallets which are several inches off ground. Wood comes from the pile clean, so the basement is also clean, from bugs, dirt, etc.

My furnace is in my basement and I have double doors to my garage where I keep maybe a weeks worth out of the weather. I don't put any wood in my house, I prefer the mess and bugs outside. The configuration of my house is why I decided to heat with wood, that and the fact that it had a Class A all-fuel 6" flue already installed from a previous oil furnace.

I put a enough in the basement to (hopefully) last all winter. This year I "guessed" at 'round 5 cord, but I didn't figure on all this early cold weather... if'n it stays cold I'll likely need another cord, maybe 1½. In the past I've had as much as 7½ cord in the basement by mid-October... I've never had any problem with bugs in the house. I do put some rat bait behind the stacks just in case and I'll usually find one or two dead mice in the stacks over the season. The mice don't come in with the firewood and would've found their way into this old farm house whether-or-not there was wood stacks, but rather than make their home in the walls or cupboard, the stacks just attract them and that's where the bait is. With the "baited" basement wood stacks I never find evidence of them anywhere else in the house.

Oh, by-the-way... I don't know how many BTU's in a mouse, but they turn to ash just like firewood does.

Pretty much the same here. I put half a season's worth (3 + cord) in the back porch and refill it once per season. D-Con bait trays keep the mouse population almost nonexistent Nice thing about it is that mice that die from it don't smell or at most only faintly for a very short spell. After finding wires being chewedon the engine compartment I now keep a bait tray there, in the trunk and under the front seats of the rigs.
Bugs? I don't see anymore when wood is there than I do when it isn't. The "bug's in the wood" fear is grossly overstated IMO.

Harry K

i'd be nervous with my wood that close to the stove.

I got the same / similar stove as JT...it'll burn that much up in a few days. They're wood hogs, but will burn anything. The wood will never have a chance to become dry and especially "pyrolized" enough to be a fire hazard (pyrolization is a process where wood exposed to heat over long periods of time chemically changes in ways that significantly drop it's ignition temperature to the point that radiated or conducted heat might ignite it).

If I stuff the area around my stove as much as I feel comfortable, it's about a weeks supply. This year I've been maintaining a good supply of seasoned "cook wood" size splits that I use to get the fire going quickly in the morning, about 1 day of green wood that has been allowed to dry for weeks inside as my emergency stash, and 2-3 days of green wood just brought inside.

Any wood that looks "anty" gets left outside ...and brought straight to the stove when I burn it.

Where I grew up, we put up about 3 cords in the attached garage in the fall, with another cord inside the basement on the far end, then kept about 1/4 cord by the stove. It was one of my chores each week to take my little red wagon and replenish the stock by the stove from the far end, and fill the far end from the garage. Four cords I guess got us through a season (more efficient stove and better insulated house then I live in now!!!)

@turnkey4099 (or Harry),
I'm gonna tel you a little secret how to keep mice out'a vehicles, OPE and whatnot... especially those stored in sheds and such over winter.
I don't remember who told me this... but I've been doing it for several years now and have not found a single chewed wire, nest, or even a mouse turd since I started.
Before I started using this little "secret" I tried moth balls, bait, traps, and I-don't-remember-what-else... with marginal success at best.
This little "secret" is 100% effective... 100%... not even a mouse turd to clean-up after months of sitting.

Are ya' ready?? No BS man...

Dryer Sheets‼ No BS man... the same ones your wife uses in the cloths dryer‼ Although I just go to the Dollar Store an buy a box of the cheapest ones I can find. I use 'em on all my summer "toys" and OPE when I put 'em away at season end. I shove a couple under the hood, under the seat, under the belts of the mower deck, next to the battery... heck, get creative. I use 5 or 6, on, in or around every piece of equipment I store in the old machine shed for the winter. When I back the golf cart in I lay a couple sheets on the engine, one on top of each of the three tires, and a couple on the floor board and then throw a tarp over it... 5 or 6 winters now and not even a mouse turd on the seat‼ Never a chewed wire on the lawn tractors. Any vehicle parked for any length of time gets a couple under the hood, by the heater/defroster intake, air cleaner intake, on the floor boards, etc.... walk away and forget about it for months‼

Dryer Sheets man... dryer sheets‼

Last edited:
8 cords .about 1000 to 1100 sq feet of wood,all in the basement

6213-7fd97e676d207a27e0ab23e5f574be84.jpg

Why did you put the wheels on the top???
baffled.gif

@turnkey4099 (or Harry),
I'm gonna tel you a little secret how to keep mice out'a vehicles, OPE and whatnot... especially those stored in sheds and such over winter.
I don't remember who told me this... but I've been doing it for several years now and have not found a single chewed wire, nest, or even a mouse turd since I started.
Before I started using this little "secret" I tried moth balls, bait, traps, and I-don't-remember-what-else... with marginal success at best.
This little "secret" is 100% effective... 100%... not even a mouse turd to clean-up after months of sitting.

Are ya' ready?? No BS man...

Dryer Sheets‼ No BS man... the same ones your wife uses in the cloths dryer‼ Although I just go to the Dollar Store an buy a box of the cheapest ones I can find. I use 'em on all my summer "toys" and OPE when I put 'em away at season end. I shove a couple under the hood, under the seat, under the belts of the mower deck, next to the battery... heck, get creative. I use 5 or 6, on, in or around every piece of equipment I store in the old machine shed for the winter. When I back the golf cart in I lay a couple sheets on the engine, one on top of each of the three tires, and a couple on the floor board and then throw a tarp over it... 5 or 6 winters now and not even a mouse turd on the seat‼ Never a chewed wire on the lawn tractors. Any vehicle parked for any length of time gets a couple under the hood, by the heater/defroster intake, air cleaner intake, on the floor boards, etc.... walk away and forget about it for months‼

Dryer Sheets man... dryer sheets‼

I've heard this before, and I am going to try it. They have invaded the garage, and I need to get rid of them. I do have a multiple catch live trap coming, and have caught a few already, but figure there's more where those came from.

Have also heard of 100% pure peppermint oil on a cotton swab....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I don't keep it inside the house. The wood is in a woodshed, which is 100 feet away. I pack a few armloads every day and put it on the covered porch, where it is not touching any walls. I do keep a milk crate of kindling in the house. That's it.

I've heard this before, and I am going to try it.

Yeah, I've heard peppermint oil will work also.
But there's problems (or potential problems)...
  • ya' might spill it.
  • it can stain or discolor some things.
  • it has a really strong, long lasting scent that can be difficult to remove.
  • and other etcetera stuff associated whith any "oil".

I 100% guarantee that dryer sheets will 100% work, they have a light pleasant smell that disappears, they're clean, neat, easy, simple and dirt cheap‼

I only keep a days worth inside....dont need any lil boring-bugs or critters screwin up the house !

I've heard this before, and I am going to try it. They have invaded the garage, and I need to get rid of them. I do have a multiple catch live trap coming, and have caught a few already, but figure there's more where those came from.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Trapping will never 'get rid' of pests, keep the population down somewhat is the best it will do. When I bought this shack it was overrun with mice and even some rats in the outbuildings. Tried a lot of things but when I started leaving d-con bait trays around (all in places pets can't get to) the population dropped and mostly disappeared. I keep those bait trays around to avoid future problems. Stll get a few now and then.

Harry K

As I mentioned earlier, I only keep a few days supply inside. Never had any problem with bugs, except for a few yellow jacket queens that come out from under the bark a couple times a year.

I have fun watching the cats go nuts when that happens! :popcorn:

Back