How do you keep your firewood indoors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey JT, what are your thoughts on the stove in the pic? I think it's the same one I'm considering from Amazon. Trying to remember what brand the darned thing was.
That's a US Stove 1261. As you might notice the stove is very short so I raised it up so I would not have to lay on the floor to start a fire. I had to modify the draft control so I could shut it down more for dry wood (I don't have that problem this year lol). I also purchased the grate as it does not come with one. I heat my shop and leave the door to the garage open so it stays comfortable in there too. Both are very well insulated with good door seals each one is 1000 sq ft. If I lived further north the stove would be too small, I live in swamp east Missouri. Also note you can get parts for that stove... any part almost.

JT

It's an old pic from a few years ago, but the only thing that's changed is the amount I keep in the basement, as it has increased a little bit. I figured I had about 9 cord there ready for winter. No having to go outside or anything. Can stay in my lounge pants and moccasins and go down to put another log or 2 on. :)

Attachments

• 2009-12-05 14.24.56.jpg
    2009-12-05 14.24.56.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 20
My first thought when I read the thread subject was, wow, what kinda unruly wood does this guy have? My firewood, I just lay it on the floor and it stays there! I don't have to put up a fence or anything to keep it in the house!:D

Ted

The fireplace has been replaced with a wood stove now but I still store the wood inside like this. Lasts about 10 days or so depending on the weather. As far as bugs? I get a few spiders which the cat quickly eliminates but the worst thing are those wanna be lady bugs. I have a larger pile outside on the patio and I bring in armloads to fill up the area by the stove and those pesky beetles are hiding on the splits. Once they are inside they warm up and start flying around! I try to remember to bang the splits before I bring them in but inevitably.....

557634_4857499445512_889108449_n.jpg

many years ago, there was a crawl space,under the back part of the house. the east part,,was part of original house. the west part was added later,,and what a chunk of junk..since been modified!! so this area,is 12x26. I gots a beam,jacked it true,,dug it out,,and put a full basement under there,,along with a coal door on the east side...the east side,about 5 foot of it,it where all the canned goods and such are stored. the rest of the area,,is stacked with firewood. so 12 ft wide, 8 foot high, by 20 foot long....yup, enough for all winter,,and no outside travels to get it!!! the drying wood,,is on the east side of the house,,so only a short travel,,to throw in basement.......

View attachment 322877

One of these traps took out 17 mice from my barn in less than a week.

This fall another one took out 9 mice from a tool shed.

Not one got to the peanut butter smeared on the plastic bottle, and you just dump out the mice and put some fresh water in. You do need to center the spindle and put a board up to the rim of the bucket to act like a ramp.
Seems like it works just fine.
epic-mousetrap-61686.gif

10' rack on the front porch will keep us burning for over 2 weeks. Haul it in with a pair canvas totes. Put one on either side of the stove and it will last 24hrs. A lot of the bark (ok some) will remain on the canvas helping to keep things clean.

Loading the porch is the biggest pain followed by not bring in enough wood the night before for the early AM burn.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I made a 3'square box that I move around with a pallet jack. Fill it with wood at the wood shed, then roll it into the garage up next to a pass thru where I can get it out in the den right next to the wood stove. Box holds a weeks worth of wood when I heap it high on top. Pass thru keeps the mess down.

I store a day's worth in this old kids toy box. It's overfull right now because I'll be getting up earlier than normal tomorrow to plow snow and I don't want to have to bring in wood first.

@Whitespider, BTU of mouse = 0.03172533464. Yes, someone actually determined calorie content of dry mouse. And you thought federal programs don't give anything back.

Mice chew on wires if they can smell or sense the salt that transfers from fingers to wire during handling. Use gloves when working on vehicle prone to mice to help reduce this. Also, dryer sheets work well for some but as said, they lose scent. I also had a mouse make nest in a box of sheets in my truck last summer. The box was about 7 months old. Strong scent in general seems to work well, though Mothballs in an old pair of pantyhose hung behind the engine fan will quickly drive all mice out of a vehicle. Passengers may evacuate, too.

@ted, same question here. How do I keep wood in house? I set it down, glare intimidatingly at it, and in a booming voice I say "Stay!" That seems to work every time.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0001 (Medium).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back