How do you remove big wood with no crane?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would probably take me about 30 hours at least with my limited gear and manpower to do both trees that translates to about the whole week for me ( not including the weekend). I have done big oaks before but not this big. I can fell the stems( if I remember correctly) my original proposal to him was to take down the canopy and just leave the stems, saves him money and me work. But some other tree guy came in really really low at $3300 for both trees and both stumps!! Which is crazy in my opinion. The guy wants to support local business though so I told him I could do it for $3800 and leave the stump above the root swell. If I get the job, great, if not then I probobly saved myself a headache and have room for more jobs. Thinking about it now I would much rather do 3 or four smaller trim or removal jobs and make the same amount of money in half the time. Only upside is if I get he job I have an excuse to buy a 660 from someone on AS lol
If somebody else is lowballing let them have it.
That being said I don't know many trees that can't be cut up with a 441.
How big of a crane and how much stick would you need if you wanted to use a crane?

What's the height and dbh of the tree. I grew up in the town you are in and most of the lots are 50 by 100. Are you sure you can't use a crane?
Well first off I've never used a crane before so that would disallow me from using one to begin with. But they're each about 65 feet, one is 4 ft duh and the other is a little bigger than 4.5 at dbh

What's the height and dbh of the tree. I grew up in the town you are in and most of the lots are 50 by 100. Are you sure you can't use a crane?
But yeah I'm pretty sure it can't be reached. The guys lot is cut awkwardly so it's right in the middle of a bunch of other yards. His lot is 100x150 and is surrounded by backyards on all sides. The trees are in the far corner of the yards. Plus even if a crane could reach it ,the picks would have to be over the neighbors house and laid in the street, I can't process all that would that fast. No way no how. So it's also a logistical issue for me.

If somebody else is lowballing let them have it.
That being said I don't know many trees that can't be cut up with a 441.
How big of a crane and how much stick would you need if you wanted to use a crane?
I have no idea about cranes, I'm assuming since the stick would have to be long I would need a very large crane, due to the weight of black oak ( 65 # per cubic foot?) and each stem stays about 4 feet the whole way up( about 20 feet on one and 25-30 on the other

I have no idea about cranes, I'm assuming since the stick would have to be long I would need a very large crane, due to the weight of black oak ( 65 # per cubic foot?) and each stem stays about 4 feet the whole way up( about 20 feet on one and 25-30 on the other
Friend of mine runs 140 with the jib on a 30t.
Quote it where you need to be and don't back off. Trying to compete at this stage in the game with a lower bid is a sure fire way to lose money.
Ask the client if they got a certificate of insurance from the competition. Got plenty of jobs like that when the bid comes in a lot lower.

Friend of mine runs 140 with the jib on a 30t.
Quote it where you need to be and don't back off. Trying to compete at this stage in the game with a lower bid is a sure fire way to lose money.
Ask the client if they got a certificate of insurance from the competition. Got plenty of jobs like that when the bid comes in a lot lower.
I told him that the other company is very low in my opinion. I asked if he would provide the name of the other company so I could do some research and make sure they're insured , I told him insurance is the main thing he should be worried about, not price. Lol so the guy goes no I do not think that would professional of me to give the name of the other company.

And the 140 would be too small I would think . The one tree is roughly 125 feet from the closest street and the other is about 150 each pick would have to clear a house or two

Sorry to far away otherwise I helped you have hear some gear and not the biggest but al trees gone post next week some trees

Can you handle a MS661 in a tree ? Just curious because of your questions,,,,
BTW, a 661 is more than a thousand dollars,,,,just saying,,
Jeff :cool:
I know that. I would definitely get one used not new. But I would do what I would have to do. I've used my 441with a 25" bar in the air so a 661 can't be much more

I know that. I would definitely get one used not new. But I would do what I would have to do. I've used my 441with a 25" bar in the air so a 661 can't be much more

A 90cc saw with a 32"+ bar is a monster. I can put mine on the scale if you'd like. It's quite a bit more saw than my ms460.

Very strange discussion here 10:31 pm why do you yuse thosr big saws hsat a tree 4 feet dia with a 40cm blade how many trees do you have and the need for a big saw I don't have the work for it bit more work on a tree one ore 2 times a year so what

Very strange discussion here 10:31 pm why do you yuse thosr big saws hsat a tree 4 feet dia with a 40cm blade how many trees do you have and the need for a big saw I don't have the work for it bit more work on a tree one ore 2 times a year so what
We have some huge trees over here in the us. Moreso on the west coast though. Here in the east its mainly giant live , black and pin oaks. Occasionally you'll get a big sycamore or maple.

We have some huge trees over here in the us. Moreso on the west coast though. Here in the east its mainly giant live , black and pin oaks. Occasionally you'll get a big sycamore or maple.
ok I work In a little village called bellingwolde most of the times big old trees little space ditzum the same problem between them 25 km problem tree the call me search them on wikki
Hm ok I work I

It would probably take me about 30 hours at least with my limited gear and manpower to do both trees that translates to about the whole week for me ( not including the weekend). I have done big oaks before but not this big. I can fell the stems( if I remember correctly) my original proposal to him was to take down the canopy and just leave the stems, saves him money and me work. But some other tree guy came in really really low at $3300 for both trees and both stumps!! Which is crazy in my opinion. The guy wants to support local business though so I told him I could do it for $3800 and leave the stump above the root swell. If I get the job, great, if not then I probobly saved myself a headache and have room for more jobs. Thinking about it now I would much rather do 3 or four smaller trim or removal jobs and make the same amount of money in half the time. Only upside is if I get he job I have an excuse to buy a 660 from someone on AS lol

I'm debating on if I should take the job or not. It's worth about $4k for both trees. But I feel like it would take me the whole week since I'm part time ( I go to college) . And I don't know if that's worth it.

Additionally he biggest saw I have is a 441cm . Which is 71cc and can pull a 32 inch bar. Can I do the job withjust this? Or would it just be too much for it?

My opinion, walk away,,what you have described (the way I see it),
is that I would bid it at $7,700
you do the math,,
Jeff
BTW, do you actually get any of these job's you ask us to bid on?

My opinion, walk away,,what you have described (the way I see it),
is that I would bid it at $7,700
you do the math,,
Jeff
BTW, do you actually get any of these job's you ask us to bid on?
Oh yeah. I wind up not getting the bigger ones 90% of the time though lol. Which honestly doesn't bother me. I would rather do 5 $1k trees rather than 1 $5k tree

Latest posts

Back