How do you remove the Muffler on a 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I tried to remove the muffler screen on a Husqvarna 359 e-tech and the phillips head screw wouldn't budge. The head is slightly buggered up. So I decided to pull the entire muffler so I could drill out the screw & blow the shavings out. I removed one screw in the front but the head broke off the other one. It appears the screws only attach the front of the muffler to the front support plate. So what holds the muffler against the exhaust port/engine/chassis? I'd like to take a peek through the exhaust outlet (to check for unusal wear of the piston/cylinder) but I wonder if I should just attach the front support plate with the one good screw & leave the broken off screw alone as it doesn't really seem to support much. Any advice would be appreciated.

There are two holes on the front cover, thy have what looks like a pipe inside of them. All the way to the back of the muffler inside the pipes there is an allen screw. Take both of them out and the screws on the support bracket and it will come off.

I just did a muffler mod on my 359 a couple weeks ago and broke off the front screw also :( I put it back together with only one screw as I needed to use it. I have been trying to figure out how to remove the broken screw out but thought that with the 2 allen screws deep in the muffler along with the one good screw on the front it should do fine until I figure how to drill out and retap the front one. The 359 did come alive with the muffler mod and I used a heated exacto knife to cut off the limiter tabs so that I could adjust the carb to run richer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys!!

I wondered what those two tubes in the front of the muffler are for. My maglight wasn't bright enough for me to see down in there.

Evin, I think you're right. Even if the two main screws work loose, the one good screw in the front support plate should hold it. Plus if yours is the same as mine, the front support plate has two dimples that recess against the muffler that should keep it from going anywhere. I might just leave it alone & put the support plate back on with one screw. If the support screw wouldn't come out with a wrench, I seriously doubt it will vibrate loose! I'll probably just wait another two months when the warranty expires before I try to fight those allen screws. The saw runs great even though I'd like to peek at the cylinder/ piston area.

My 359 came with a scrench and a allen wrench to fit the screws right in the box with the saw. If you bought your saw from a dealer, he might have "forgot" to give you the allen wrench when he gave you the "dealer prepped" saw.

Latest posts

Back