how do you run a crew.......?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Who can really sell a job like that though honestly. There has to be some really obvious dead wood up there to sell it. In that case make a mess anyway for them down there.

I have a climber and three groundmen on my crew. I tell the climber NOT to do ground work so he can save his energy for the next job. He usually does anyway since he doesn't like to sit around. Since I added the third groundman more jobs get finished and everybody is less beat at the end of the day.

When I was the climber I only had two groundmen. My body has too many aches and pains now so I hired a third groundman to take my place for ground work.

large crews

most of the work we do are removals about 90 % and all wood and brush must be taken out thru the house or thru an alley thiats why we need so many groundmen. it is definately not productive to have the climbers dragging brush . Once the tree hits the ground climber and 1 or 2 men are on the way to next job . besides I tell the ground crew I've handled all the wood and brush once already have no intention of handling it twice.Thats what works in our environment .We have 4-5 climbers here but me and Kf do most of the climbingbetween the 2 crews we have anywhere from 10 -15 guys 4-6 trucks just getting out of our yard is an adventure

Re: large crews

Originally posted by City climber
We have 4-5 climbers here but me and Kf do most of the climbingbetween the 2 crews
OK, so you do have climbers doing groundwork. I figured that would happen.

And I think that's OK....to think that anyone is "too important" to do something is ridiculous. To put people to their best use, that's important to do, and I believe in that strongly.

Whatever it takes to "Git'R'Done".

There's no such thing as an "unimportant" task.

by the way Nickrosis

your aunt must have a pretty high end place.........
i to have a rent controled place in manhattan but our rent is only 580.00 a month.

i guess not too many tree men keep a manhattan apt.

:D

It's a lot smaller than my house, that's for sure. But it's pretty nice. Top floor. They loan it out for commercial and movie shoots from time to time.

I like 3 men on trim work and 5 men on large removals. Trims you have cutter/driver, rope/cleanup & clean up guy they all can ride in bucket/chip truck.
Removals we have 2 cutters/rope men, 1 loader operator, 2 draggers/chipper operator.

I really dislike it too when a climber believes he is too much too help clean up.
We had one of those in the company I work at and yes he got fired :baaa:

I really dislike it too when a climber believes he is too much too help clean up.
We had one of those in the company I work at and yes he got fired :baaa:

If you are the real sh!t as far as a climber goes, and I know that, then I'm not asking you to ever drag brush...if you are not, and probably 85% of the present day climbers/bucket operators are not, then you may drag some brush around my little operation.

I have no problems dragging brush or raking after everything is on the ground. Especially when i know my ground guys bust ass. They're always there on the rigging lines and keep the drop zone clear so i don't have to wait on them and i can get down as fast as possible, therefore i don't mind helping them get their part done faster and most of the time there isn't much left to do.

If you are the real sh!t as far as a climber goes, and I know that, then I'm not asking you to ever drag brush...if you are not, and probably 85% of the present day climbers/bucket operators are not, then you may drag some brush around my little operation.
but thats now how it works, well at a company I should say. If the climber is getting paid by the hour or salary like the rest of the employees then the climber should keep working in the ground if there is no more trees to climb.
To me a climber is the sh!t if he or she is good up on the tree and down on the ground.

but thats now how it works, well at a company I should say. If the climber is getting paid by the hour or salary like the rest of the employees then the climber should keep working in the ground if there is no more trees to climb.
To me a climber is the sh!t if he or she is good up on the tree and down on the ground.

Well yeah...in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world and most of the really good climbers little pad is soaked all the time...so I don't rock the boat.

Well yeah...in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world and most of the really good climbers little pad is soaked all the time...so I don't rock the boat.
i don't understand what you mean sorry lol

Latest posts

Back