How do you start your indoor fire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We spend countless hours cutting, moving, chopping, splitting and curing our firewood so why not put a few hours into nice kindle?

Because I'd rather spend those "few hours cutting, moving(?), chopping, splitting and curing our firewood" than wasting it making kindling when a simple squirt of accelerant accomplishes the same thing.

Whitespider,

It's a quick start for sure but like any of the firestarters that burn pretty cool to start they make for lots of residue in the chimney.

1 firestart is ok to start with pretty much anything but 100-150 of them.

I just drink while making kindle, seems to make it an easy job :)

I have 2 piles of wood 1) spruce and pine and cedar ... other 2) ash,maple,elm,
stir up coals in the morning throw in a couple spruce or pine and a couple other on top and poof fire going strong

Use a mix of ends from woodworking projects and cedar. Old fence is great for cutting dowm and slpitting. 10 years in the Texas sun and it is VERY DRY. We also have a lot of cedar growing here. I keep a bunch of rounds around. Dry them for four or five years, split them and use those for starter.

Have a box of fatwood I keep around for times when I want the fire to start right now.

Hal

i put a 5 gallon bucket under the table on teh splitter and collect the bark and little splits that get torn off, i call them splitter turds. they dry out in as little as 3 days in the house since they're so small and work great, no "extra" kindling to make. toss 2 handfulls in the stove and give it a 30 second roast with the propane torch and we're off and running.

Dryer lint and a hand full of rich pine. (fat wood) works like a charm.

David

On they days when the guvment lets us burn... :( I generally use a duraflame firestart with a little gel squirted across it and light it with mapp. fully loaded stove comes to life quick. I also have made in the past some noodle/pellet/wax/diesel muffins that I made... been experimenting with those since the boy scout days... funny how some noodles soaked in diesel packaged in seal a meal bags win the boy scout "who can burn the string fastest" games.:D

the old "Hungry Monster", aka:OWB, doesn't go out once he has a fire in his belly,,to get him fired up, i soak an old shop rag in used oil and kerosene, placed on a shovel, lite it up and place in the stove with wood. my little stove in the garage usually gets a couple shovel fulls of coals from the OWB ,,,instant fire!! or i do keep a box of the store bought fire starters , about 10 bucks a box,, i dont even use a whole piece when i use one, just break off a hunk, aint gonna break the bank buying a box or two every year,,I just feed my starving children cold oats and water to off set the cost,,and God love the poor creatures,,they are very understanding that daddy doesnt want to work hard trying to start a fire when it's time to drink beer in the garage,,I've showed them films of the starving children in India on the documentary channel...

I take 2 stix and rub them together the old fashioned way...once my fire lites it stays lit all winter....so while it's a chore in the beginning I find never doing it again through May is sweet.
I see they sell them thar fire sticks up at the 5 & dime that just take a flick of the bic.Maybe I should get Ethel to mosey on up and trade one of her sweet smelling pies for one.

just kidding

Please disregard my last post as it was a joke! ( I"M sure there are some people that would actually try this, kinda like the people that run gas powered generators in their basement or garage) :eek2: :D

Please disregard my last post as it was a joke! ( I"M sure there are some people that would actually try this, kinda like the people that run gas powered generators in their basement or garage) :eek2: :D

ya know it does work well when your campin tho... just stand far back and toss the match :hmm3grin2orange:

When I first got married we leased a house a German national had built, he had heard about all the tornado's in the mid west and built the entire house out of 12" concrete rebar re-enforced walls, even the sub floor between the basement and up stairs was 12" of concrete, only wood in the house was the trusses and plywood decking and shingles. In a small 8x10 room in the basement it had one of the old Warm Morning
wood stoves. I'd pack that baby as full as I could cram the wood in and open the damper to 3/4 position throw a couple of coffee cups of diesel in the stove and toss a match in and slam the stove door shut.
No possibility of anything catching on fire with all the concrete. That ole stove pipe would glow almost cherry red, it was great though, it would heat the 12" concrete floor between the basement and upstairs and give off that radiant heat all night. Diesel is my favorite fire starter, sometimes I'll put it in a pump sprayer and spray it on brush piles light it and then use a gas powered leaf blower to blow on the flames while spraying more diesel out of the sprayer, has the same effect as a afterburner, it'll burn even the greenest brush pile it gets so hot.

When I first got married we leased a house a German national had built, he had heard about all the tornado's in the mid west and built the entire house out of 12" concrete rebar re-enforced walls, even the sub floor between the basement and up stairs was 12" of concrete, only wood in the house was the trusses and plywood decking and shingles. In a small 8x10 room in the basement it had one of the old Warm Morning
wood stoves. I'd pack that baby as full as I could cram the wood in and open the damper to 3/4 position throw a couple of coffee cups of diesel in the stove and toss a match in and slam the stove door shut.
No possibility of anything catching on fire with all the concrete. That ole stove pipe would glow almost cherry red, it was great though, it would heat the 12" concrete floor between the basement and upstairs and give off that radiant heat all night. Diesel is my favorite fire starter, sometimes I'll put it in a pump sprayer and spray it on brush piles light it and then use a gas powered leaf blower to blow on the flames while spraying more diesel out of the sprayer, has the same effect as a afterburner, it'll burn even the greenest brush pile it gets so hot.

give this guy some C-4 & T-N-T....can I come and shoot video??LOL
wait..here's some fun ways to start fires..
<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/3306083" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBE-5LXgc7g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQrf6s6LhQQ&feature=related

and the best of them all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w09IY73oVjE&feature=related

Last edited:
We raise chickens, so people are always giving me egg cartons. I only like using the jumbo egg cartons for getting eggs, so the rest I use to start the fire in our indoor wood furnace.

Last edited:
I use the worlds largest match STRIKE A FIRE. Been using them exclusively for 3 years now for any fire out or in and camping. get em at walmart for 9$ for 48or 50pack.

I'm sure there are a million cheaper and easier ways my pops uses diesel soaked sawdust.

The thing i like about strike a fire is its self lighting which when you need a lighter they seem to go missing. They burn for 10minutes so wet wood or kindling is now prob to ignite.

I like to play a game and see how many days I can go without using one. I've mastered the one itty bitty coal to ignite some kindling but when its cold and the fire is dead I grab the strike a fire.

I've used the gels and other fire products but this one is my fav. :rock:

Latest posts

Back