How do you store your chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kscycler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Now that I've contracted CAD chronically, I can't seem to keep track of chains. I tried Baggies with Sharpee written on them, but they don't last long, especially in the bottom of the saw box(s). Is there a box/carrying case for chains (or bars, or bars and chains) that you can stack or put in a saw box that you can write the pitch/guage/DL # on? How do you do it?

I just use baggies with a little oil in them to keep the chains lubed and loose, dont have a great number of saws to keep track of, so I know what chain is what. As for your issue, maybe look in to something like a fishing store or craft store for storage boxes you could make suit your needs.

I just use baggies with a little oil in them to keep the chains lubed and loose, dont have a great number of saws to keep track of, so I know what chain is what. As for your issue, maybe look in to something like a fishing store or craft store for storage boxes you could make suit your needs.

Thanks, that's kinda how I've been doing it. Since I now have 13 running saws, and each has its saw box or case, those baggies always find themselves under the saw or hiding under my gloves. I envision a plastic box a bit bigger than a cigarette box, with a place for a business card-sized card that I can write the pitch/guage/DL# on. Orange or bright colors. They could stand up in the box or case and wouldn't get lost. Oh, and somehow to indicate "sharp" or "dull" would be icing on the cake...

I only have 3 sizes but I hang them on hooks (nails) in the rafters sorted by size. When they hang beside one another it's easy to tell their length. The dull ones are hanging on the rafter along the wall, the sharp ones are hanging on the rafter in front of it. I took a marker and wrote - dull - sharp - on the rafters. The get oiled when I sharpen them and I rotate them pretty regularly so they don't have time to get rusty. I have a toolbox full of chainsaw related stuff i carry with we when I go into the woods to harvest trees. In the toolbox i keep a spare chain for each bar in its original box. The saw will almost always get a fresh chain when I go into the woods. If I use up both chains it's time to quit and go back to the house and have a few beers.

Thanks, that's kinda how I've been doing it. Since I now have 13 running saws, and each has its saw box or case, those baggies always find themselves under the saw or hiding under my gloves. I envision a plastic box a bit bigger than a cigarette box, with a place for a business card-sized card that I can write the pitch/guage/DL# on. Orange or bright colors. They could stand up in the box or case and wouldn't get lost. Oh, and somehow to indicate "sharp" or "dull" would be icing on the cake...

Check out those plastic cartridge box mfg co's that sell through Cabela's and Midway. Maybe they make some without the inserts. Those would be ideal for a variety of chains.

Plastic container from the grocery store like dip and various other items come in.

I got a couple of Sterilite boxes (Rubbermaid has them too) at Walmart that have snap on lids that work well. They have small ones that will hold 2-3 chains and larger ones that hold 6 well. I put a scrap piece of plastic cut down to size in the middle and can put two types of chain on each side. You can write the type / size of chain on the top to keep everything straight with a Sharpie.

Also, you could use index card boxes found at business supply stores. My wife has one she keeps recipes in and it would be perfect for a couple of chains.

Last edited:
I wrap a sharp chain in a shop towel, then go around a couple times it with a thin piece of "electric fence"wire.
Each saw has a spare in the bottom of my milk crate with 2 gallon jugs of mix and 1 of oil.
The dull ones just go in the bottom to be sharpened later.
Works for me!

I got a couple of Sterilite boxes (Rubbermaid has them too) at Walmart that have snap on lids that work well. They have small ones that will hold 2-3 chains and larger ones that hold 6 well. I put a scrap piece of plastic cut down to size in the middle and can put two types of chain on each side. You can write the type / size of chain on the top to keep everything straight with a Sharpie.

Also, you could use index card boxes found at business supply stores. My wife has one she keeps recipes in and it would be perfect for a couple of chains.

Back from Big Lots. Bought a 5-pack ($2.00) of Rubbermaid Take-Alongs, sandwich size. Snap lid. These will probably hold 2 20" chains comfortably, but won't fit in the saw cases (most of them). Also bought 3-pack ($1.80) of Ziploc Twist'n Loc round containers. Screw top lid, and more sturdy than Rubbermaid Take-Alongs. Will probably hold 2 chains as well. I'll play with them a bit tonight, post some pics...

The best part about the plastic chinese food containers....the lids are clear...Dont need to mark them other than length...you can see whats inside....

ziplocks with size and saw in permanent marker not the most durable setup but effective,,,restion the bottom of my "Saw toolbox" that goes everywhere with me....if i accumilate much more stuff ill have to have one of those jobsite storage boxes:D

The best part about the plastic chinese food containers....the lids are clear...Dont need to mark them other than length...you can see whats inside....

The residual scents would confuse my brain....mmmm must eat chinese food...mmmm must cut wood!

I have two nails at the top of my cellar stairs (sharpener is down there), one for sharp the other for dull.

Back