How do you store your chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Ideas..

Wow, these are some great ideas. Put a few chains in the plastic storage containers today and it's a pretty good way to go. If it wasn't snowing so hard and windy, I'd go take some pictures. Tomorrow...but good ideas all 'round. Thanks..

I use the Lock & Lock containers. I got them at Meijers and they can be found elsewhere including Amazon for those of you unfortunate to not have a Meijers. They're great! At least 3, maybe 4 chains fit in the ones I have. I've got three of em that sit in my tool box that goes to the woods. Since I'm out in the barn, here's a pic.

42575981-37a2-5b2a.jpg

I put mine in empty 1 litre milk bags loosely rolled. I write the saw their for on masking tape and stick it on the bag. I place them in the tool box, under the tool tray, upright like a deck of cards, biggest to smallest. The milk bags are a lot stronger than freezer zip-lock bags.

Is there a box/carrying case for chains (or bars, or bars and chains) that you can stack or put in a saw box that you can write the pitch/guage/DL # on? How do you do it?

When I moved I got the bright idea to put all of my bars in one box so they would be together. I probably had 60 or more of them and found out the box was not strong enough to hold all the weight.

I have a bunch of chains stored in Gladware that came free as the container the deli lunch meat was sold in. Many of my saws have oil saturated towels wrapped around the bars and chains.

I like the card board carton (that not all chains come in,some are plastic) as well as anything for the package. Chain size lable on top,ranked 1 layer in a regular card board box or similiar container. I use zip lock baggies when I dont have the cardboard carton, don't fit together as nice and generally you have to pick them up to view the lable.
In 1 pickup with a bench seat I have a nylon organizer with pockets that chains fit in nicely, in either cartons or baggies. my other pick up has a narrow delta tool box that goes length wise over the fender well that has a tool space they fit in nice in cartons with an occasional baggie inbetween. I use this tool box for narrow and clean items that aren't oily and gassy, like mauls,cant hook,wrenches,folding cones, etc.. A big tool box on other side for saws, gas,oil and whatever.

Harbor Freight has tape roll holders for work benches (for spooling tape off of this metal guide type thing). The local store had them on clearance, and I bought a bunch of them. I can hang about 10 chains on each one, and try to hang by length.

We carry five saws in the truck; chain supply is supported by a Husky (also made by Keeter) 22" Cantilever tool box. After seeing what my plumber did with three Husky boxes that looked like the answer for me.

I counted chains today and found I have 21 new and 20 sharpened. We do not sharpen a chain on the job site. Rather we change chain and put the dull one(s) in the cab on the floor in front of driver seat. I examine them later and determine whether to sharpen again or metal scrap. I tried to upload Two photos showing the upper compartments dedicated to various parts and stump grinder teeth and the lower part to chains in labeled boxes separatedby cardboard dividers. The tote box sells for about $25 and the lid is not replaceable so don't give it too much wear and tear.

I use a case like this, mark on the outside the length and place the bag in a heavy duty bag with some WD40 Holds 3-4 chains. VHS cassette boxes could work as well.

sku_370337_2.jpg

I guess I will be the weird one; I bought a few yards of real-deal oilcloth and keep my oily chains wrapped in that, inside the plastic boxes.

I use the Lock & Lock containers. I got them at Meijers and they can be found elsewhere including Amazon for those of you unfortunate to not have a Meijers. They're great! At least 3, maybe 4 chains fit in the ones I have. I've got three of em that sit in my tool box that goes to the woods. Since I'm out in the barn, here's a pic.

42575981-37a2-5b2a.jpg

I use very similar containers to store all of my chains. One issue though with containers that have rubber O-Rings is that anything like CRC/WD40 wrecks the rubber making the O-Rings expand and fall out. Good thing about them is that they're waterproof too so rain can't get into your chains if left outdoors.

I tried Baggies with Sharpee written on them, but they don't last long, especially in the bottom of the saw box(s). How do you do it?

Quart ziploc freezer bags. They are stronger than non freezer bags. That is how I do it wrap them in whatever you carry to clean off the oily sawdust when the bar is removed if they really don't hold up. It isn't a problem walking or on an ag type tractor. Maybe on a quad type vehicle things would bounce around to the point that my technique needs re-evaluated.

Fran

Back