how does a 353 compare to a 455 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickbitintn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i know the 455 is a clamshell and the 353 is more of a pro saw.......

but if you couldn't see it in your hands... how much of a difference would you feel if they were wearing the same b/c?

i know the 455 is a clamshell and the 353 is more of a pro saw.......

but if you couldn't see it in your hands... how much of a difference would you feel if they were wearing the same b/c?

I own a 353 and have ran a few 455's. The 455 has a little more low end power, but the 353 is a far nicer saw to run. Lighter, easy to work on, mag case, way better feel, you get the idea.. I'd take the 353 over the 455 without even thinking about.

Last edited:
I own a 353 and have and have ran a few 455's. The 455 has a little more low end power, but the 353 is a far nicer saw to run. Lighter, easy to work on, mag case, way better feel, you get the idea.. I'd take the 353 over the 455 without even thinking about.

Second this. I got a 353 etech with a MM and retune. Thing is a little beast. I gained top end and a nice chunk of low end just from the little bit I did.

353 is WAY farther ahead than the 455...

I have 2 husky 353's and find them to be well balanced with a 16" bar .325 setup. They do respond well to a MM

18" .325" semi chisel with 8 pin rim. Ran it easily buried in Casuarina which is a native Australian hardwood.

455 isn't a bad saw. Its a bit larger than a 353, has a plastic case and a bit more cc's.

The 353 is smaller, lighter, metal case, more pro like build, less cc's, but power is very close.

No question between the two, I'd take a 353, or better yet a 346xp.

Only thing I can add is the technical aspect that the 455 is a more modern saw with a strato engine. So fuel consumption will be less and to be honest I feel the exhausts of my strato saw doesn't smell so bad.
I realized that once while cutting some wood indoors.

Last edited:
Only thing I can add is the technical aspect that the 455 is a more modern saw with a strato engine. So fuel consumption will be less and to be honest I feel the exhausts of my strato saw doesn't smell so bad.
I realized that once while cutting some wood indoors.

Just use Aspen alkylate fuel!

IMO it would depend on what you are cutting. Hardwood, I would take the 353 with the 325 setup.For soft wood I would take the 455 with the 3/8ths over the 353.Why the 455? It has more low end pull and will handle the 3/8 chain easier. Course this is just me, Ken

well that's not helping.... :msp_sad:

but what i expected... :msp_biggrin:

i bought one not running, had been straight gassed i think, pistion/ cyl scored up.
i learned of the wonders of of muriatic acid treatments here on AS and cyl was saved, replaced slug with a meteor. (also learned here)
(was really hard for me not to get a 346 kit, but finances swayed the decision)
it's all together i have started and ran it but do not have a bar and chain for it (.325) so it hasn't seen wood.

i was thinking of selling it and keeping the rancher as it was my first new (and orange) saw.
(no reason to have two saws about the same... right????)

UNLESS YOU HAVE C.A.D !!!!! :bang::bang: :msp_cursing:

Back