How far do you take your woods chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade Huggins

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ever scince I joined this site last year I have found myself every evening spending more and more time getting my chain ready for the next days cutting. I spend 2-3 minutes a tooth just making it so-so making sure everything looks just right. I have also found myself raking up the shavings from my chain after each filing I am now accumilating a small mountain of cuttings. I guess my point is it seems like I find myself taking it just a little bit further every time I file in the evenings.................its a lotta fun..........Wade

putum in a shotgun shell.at about 20 ft or so ..it sure be discouraging to a varment with a habit o raiding your place at nite. like rock salt but not as corrosive:)
im at the point now where i can decide thebalance i wont for an particular job. real sharp or more durable...been fun getting here. hope i enjoy the rest o the trip as much as ihave thus far.

I like mine razor sharp, except on the landing..... I've just give up on keeping one razor sharp so I use simi chisel:rolleyes: Tony, if the varmit wakes me up at night it will be the LAST TIME, forget your rock salt!;)

Wade
If you bar rails are good and true,take it back,but don't take it to bed(Middle or more of last rivit) if you are runing a chain on a saw that will pull over 14 in the wood, this time of the year (frozen wood)I would say middle of the last rivit. And try to keep your rackers about .020. But I don't know what you use for a file(13/64 or 7/32) if you use the 13/64 don't get to much hook witch will remove much of the side plate strenght. Seth
Do you use LG or JG?

Looking at the sharpening angle charts for Stihl chain, the sideplate angle for RS--3/8 and .404--is listed at 60 degrees. Seems like alot of hook. Last time I filed it I set it at around 80-85 and it cut better than what my dealer ground it to.

Chris B.

yea ryan .. that rock salt thing aint a good idea.. ruined my first shotgun
when i was a kid. with it. worst thing to do to a gun. now 3 b the worst u can do forf the varmit.

Latest posts

Back