How good is a stihl 056??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to stick with "semi modern" saws for my wood cutting, but I just built an 056 Mag II and I have to say, that it would give any stock 066 that I've ran so far, a run for it's money in 24"-30" wood.

The 056 definitely has some parts that are hard to come by and expensive, but there really are tons of these out there for parts donors.

:ghost: Someone is working on their dead thread resurrection skills.

This thread was started in 02.... Whats the reason for digging this up? :bang:

Because they used the search option and thought it better to continue to expand the existing thread rather than start a new one. Personally I wish more people would do this which would result in fewer threads and better consolidation of information.

I picked up a couple earlier this year.

Stihl056006.jpg

How many of you have seen an 056 Magnum,not a Mag 11? For about a year before the Mag 11 came out Stihl(In Canada at least) provided an upgrade kit for the 056 Super,the "Magnum kit" which us dealers installed on new 056 Supers. The kit included a modified air filter for a little better air flow,the carb cover with the two lower air notches opened up from factory,instructions on how to advance the timing,and a brand new nameplate for the top of the saw that said 056 Magnum. No ready made magnums were ever sold to us by Stihl,just the conversion kits. The timing mod helped the most.

How many of you have seen an 056 Magnum,not a Mag 11? For about a year before the Mag 11 came out Stihl(In Canada at least) provided an upgrade kit for the 056 Super,the "Magnum kit" which us dealers installed on new 056 Supers. The kit included a modified air filter for a little better air flow,the carb cover with the two lower air notches opened up from factory,instructions on how to advance the timing,and a brand new nameplate for the top of the saw that said 056 Magnum. No ready made magnums were ever sold to us by Stihl,just the conversion kits. The timing mod helped the most.

I had an opportunity to buy one still had old fuel in tank. I'm tied and slow so I passed. My 029 Sthil and 590 Echo are getting heavy. Now days heavy has me looking for LESS heavy. Big saws are like Jumper Cables. Great when I need them but I'm trying to need them less.
Thinking about an Echo 450 OR 490. Most time I use an 026 Sthil that keeps asking for a divorce or retirement. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back