how hard is it to start sharping your chain saw chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've read all the replys so far, and i must comment. you don't need a vise, you don't need a granberg, or anything like that. most likely you chain has witness marks on it. get you a good file with a handle on it. follow the same angle as your witness marks on your chain. don't worry about the number of strokes. sharpen until it is smooth. do one side, and then turn your saw around and do the other side. it is not that complicated. chains are pretty cheap. if it takes several chains to get your saw charpening down, its not a big deal. remember, when you are out in the woods, you want have a vice. learn to sharpen a saw with just your hands and a file. a little practice is all it takes.

True if you want to pay close attention to the angles, etc for each and every tooth. I'll use my file guide that sets every angle and holds it without my even looking while filing. On a 20" loop it will take me less than 10 minutes from picking up the saw to putting it back down giving each tooth 4-5 strokes. That includes mounting saw in vise and applying/setting up the file guide.

Yes, I carry a file to do one freehand if necessary but I find the 2-3 spares I carry are a better solution. Can change the chain out faster than I can 'touch it up'.

Harry K

i've read all the replys so far, and i must comment. you don't need a vise, you don't need a granberg, or anything like that. most likely you chain has witness marks on it. get you a good file with a handle on it. follow the same angle as your witness marks on your chain. don't worry about the number of strokes. sharpen until it is smooth. do one side, and then turn your saw around and do the other side. it is not that complicated. chains are pretty cheap. if it takes several chains to get your saw charpening down, its not a big deal. remember, when you are out in the woods, you want have a vice. learn to sharpen a saw with just your hands and a file. a little practice is all it takes.

Well I guess this is true however you will soon realize the saw moves all over hell while trying to run the file over the chain, makes getting a good accurate filing almost impossible, kinda like trying to thread a needle that is moving around. Would suggest a stump vise, you just hammer it into a log or split piece of wood, and clamp bar in it.
HVA_653_00_00_41_L.jpg
Follow the witness marks yes. A Granberg or other types of filing helpers like the Husqvarna one
HVA_505_24_35_01_L.jpg
will make the job more accurate and easier. This one gives you everything you need for both the rakers and the correct angle and depth for the cutter tooth. Don't worry about the number or strokes...Well that depends on if you want your saw cutting like ) or maybe this (. If you don't count the number of stokes and do the same on each tooth soon it will cut real nice smiley faces in wood instead of straight cuts. Ran into this when I first started. I usually do 5 strokes on a badly dull chain and 2-3 strokes on a chain if you do it every time you fill with gas. Chains are cheap???Since when? Hell most stihl chains are 30-40 bucks a chain?

Bottom line is get to sharpening, listen to what other people use and do, make mistakes but learn from them. After 3-4 sharpenings put the chain on a bench grinder to true everything back up and keep going. Drop rakers with a gauge every 2-3 sharpenings.

1. Watch this video: Stihl Video Library - Chapter 3: Sharpening Your Saw Chain

2. Get a filing kit (file guide, round file, flat file) that's appropriate for your chain pitch (and brand).

3. With powerhead still attached, clamp bar in heavy bench vise, taking care not to pinch rails.

4. File away!

If filing 'on the saw' in a vise, mount the saw upside down. You can then file both sides with your right hand. Stand at tip of bar for one side and alongside bar for the other. Dunno how it would work with lefties. I saw that on this forum way back when and love it.

Harry K

Use your raker guide when touching them up !! didn't use one when I started doing my own chains and man did i mess up!! Old tree trimmer got me on the right track,,(still dont use one, but all is well). The use of a bench vise is a good deal also for hand sharpening. I bought an old Foley-Belsaw grinder years ago, and keep spare chains in the truck. It seems if there is a clump of frozen dirt on the wood, I'm gonna find it with my saw chain, a rock on the far side of log,,Yep, I'll find it and try to cut it....a metal fence post 90 yards from where I'm cuttin' ??? Some how it's gonna try an' dull my chain too !!! LOL!!

I always used a round file, but last month I bought the attachment for the dremel. The old chains i use on pellets i use the dremel on it works great.

I'm getting alot longer out of my chains.

I use a file with the chain on the saw. I usually do 5 strokes per cutter. If you mark the first one with a sharpie it's easy to figure out where you have sharpened. Otherwise it gets hard to tell sometimes.

A grinder will also work, but they tend to grind off quite a bit of metal, and chains don't last as long.

quite a bit of metal??? you own and operate one???? chain doesnt last as long??? why?????

Grinder vs. File… With a vise vs. without a vise… Use a guide vs. freehand... My way vs. your way…

Well first of all I don’t own a grinder… so any comparison I make is not apples-to-apples. But the chains I file are sharper and stay sharp longer than any chain I’ve hauled in to be (so-called) professionally sharpened on a grinder. And I will say that my chains didn’t last as long back when I would have them sharpened on a grinder by the saw shop... seemed like the grinder removed more metal and needed sharpening more often. I’ll further qualify that by saying it’s been at least 18-years since I’ve hauled one in to the saw shop …(shrug)… Like I said, comparing someone else grinding my chains, vs. doing it myself is not apples-to-apples. Even if you decide to go with the grinder setup learning to file a chain will be useful… sometimes the file will just be faster and convenient… or 120Vac power may not be available.

I rarely sharpen in-the-field, preferring to carry extra chains. But sometimes “crap happens” and things just don’t always go your way… I’ve trashed three chains in the dirt as fast as I could swap them before, so learning to sharpen in-the-field with nothing but a file is also a useful skill to learn. Seriously though, the fastest, easiest way to learn with acceptable results is to use a vise and some sort of file holder/guide with reference marks for angles, and keeps the file from setting too deep in the tooth. Tighten the chain plenty tight on the bar (don’t forget to loosen it when you’re done) and clamp the bar in a vise at a comfortable working height. This will keep the cutters from wiggling all-over creation so the results will be consistent from tooth-to-tooth. Take your time at first, watching closely what the file is doing to the cutter. In-other-words let the holder/guide teach you… There isn’t anything “hard” about learning to do it yourself, but there are several angles on the cutter you need to watch, and the file needs to be kept from going too deep, cutting into the links. That’s where some sort of file holder/guide is the best way to learn for the novice.

I have a drawer full of different file holder/guides… I’ve tried most of them and now they just collect dust except one. It doesn’t take long before you catch-on and find it’s faster to go without any holder/guide. When I’m sharpening in the shop, in a vise, I use the Husqvarna Roller Guide… it has no witness marks for angles, but it does a fine job of keeping the file at the proper height off the links, and it’s fast to move from cutter-to-cutter. I had to modify it, open-up the slots, to get it to fit my Stihl chains though. I also file different chains to slightly different top-plate angles, depending on the wood and conditions I’m cutting. For example, I use a semi-chisel chain filed to 30-degrees when cutting old blow-downs that tend to have a lot of dirt on/in them, full-chisel at 25-30-degrees when cutting relatively clean or green hardwoods like Oak, and I switch to 35-degrees when cutting softwoods like pines, firs and “softer” hardwoods like Silver Maple. But, for me at least, that means keeping several chains because once I have it filed a certain way, it stays that way for its useful life. Sharpening your own frees you up to experiment a bit, find what works best for you and the wood(s) you cut.

You’ll need some sort of tool to check and file depth gauges (rakers). I tried the one that comes on the Husqvarna Roller Guide… I couldn’t get it to work with the Stihl chains I have, and besides it just seemed way to slow for me. I prefer the type that lays across the cutters both fore and aft of the depth gauge… just seems to make the most sense to me. You won’t need to file them every time you sharpen, ‘round every 3-5 times depending.

The most common mistake a novice will make is to file the cutters on one side of the chain shorter, and/or at a different angle than the other side… you’ll know right off ‘cause the darn thing will cut in a curve instead of straight. It won’t be long and you’ll catch on to what’s going on with the angles and such… and doing a quick touch-up completely free-hand will be second-nature to you. Still, after so many touch-ups, you’ll want to clamp it in the vise and get everything as close to (your personal) specs as you can.

It's doable

I don't use a vise or clamp or anything like that, just the saw. sit the saw down flat. I use my generic bubba tailgate work bench and a stump to sit on when not in the field. Now, notice distance between bottom of bar out at the tip and the flat surface. Find you a chunk of wood from your wood pile a little larger than that distance, say an inch or two or whatever works for you.. Now when you sit the chain down rest it out at the end on the block of wood, that will prevent the chain spinning on the bar.

Now look straight down on top of the cutter, you'll see a little line that follows the cutter angle. That is the witness mark. Follow that angle that way, plus your round file slopes uphill just a smidgen. If you pick the correct chunk of wood, you can get the saw to tip sideways a little and cover that angle as well. Only file one way-in. Keep the file straight, don't flinch and round it off at the end of the stroke. You can get several cutters now without moving the chain. Once you run out of your comfort zone, just reach over and pick up the end of the bar, then with your other hand slide the chain forward another section of cutters. Do that until you are done. I haven't marked my chains, I can see and feel when I get to the original cutter I started with, or you can just count, whatever. I mean, a sharp cutter is different from the dull ones, duh. When done, flip it around, do the other side. One side will be clunkier to you than the other, depending on if you are left or right handed, just be careful and get both sides the same, as much as possible. I have no set rule on number of strokes, just what it takes, 1 to freeking 8, usually two or three for me. Depends, too many variables on what you just cut.

The depth gauge/raker I file with a flat file first about every other or every three times I file and always before I do the cutters. No need to go nuts with it, it has to be around 20-25 thousandths lower then the cutter, that works fine, try to get them all even with each other down the loop. Follow that little angle there so you don't get binding.

That's it. No real voodoo to it, just tedious. Once you have enough muscle memory from doing it, you can just about do it with your eyes closed.

$5 will get you started in two brand new files, a round and a flat from the saw shop. Get the right size for your chain. Don't know what size chain you need sharpened, so that's a variable.

If you have a hard time seeing the cutters, you can always get one of those hobby magnifying glass things that are mounted on an adjustable bar. I think they are like ten bucks from any of the cheap import tool joints.

The other option if ya want is just switch to the new oregon powersharp system, I will attest it works as advertised. Cost more than a regular chain of course, and you have to get a new bar to start with it,(you need the whole kit to start, bar, chain, sharpening stone and holder system, then after that a new chain comes with a new sharpening stone) but in five seconds you go from wicked dull to near brand new sharp. They show a video where the cut a cement block with it, I mean dull the snot out of it, "rock the chain" is the common term used, happens to everyone eventually, a few seconds later it is back to sharp. I ain't kidding, it is that fast. It's different from regular chain as it sharpens from the top instead of the inside, but it *does* work and it does cut wood just fine.

I think they only go up to a 16 inch bar and chain system now, but I know they are working on a 20 for larger saws. No idea when that will be released though.

For small time joe homeowner just a few cords a year, either way, two files or pop for the self sharpening system once and be done with it. No need for a multi hundred dollar grinder just for a dozen sharpenings a year or something.

One thing I just thought of that I don't think has been mentioned:

Once you learn to do your own (file or buy a grinder), you're more likely to keep them touched up and always super sharp...instead of waiting till you're making sawdust to bring them to a shop to be sharpened.

Makes me wonder if that's sometimes the source of complaints with grinders, by the time some folks decide to pay to have them sharpened they need a lot more work then a quick file touch up every few tanks of gas.

Learning how to sharpen chains is the same as anything else.

Some people just do as the "neighbor" does, then they get frustrated...

Other people take the time to read the chainsaw instruction manual, the instructions and specifications which come with the chain, and watch manufacturer instructions for sharpening chains like the Stihl "Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance" DVD.
STIHL Incorporated USA -- Information -- Manufacturing the World's Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws

Then you will understand that there are different sizes of round files to use for different round cutters and you will get the correct size file. (Or double bevel flat file for "chisel" chains.)

And understand what the "rakers" or "depth gauges" are. And will buy a depth gauge tool so you can learn to lower them the correct amount after sharpening. Know when they are too high or too low.

And know the correct angle to use when sharpening.

And know why a chain may cut to the left or right and be able to correct the problem.

Then you will be able to sharpen chains and be quite pleased with your work!

All of the above for HAND filing: you cut wood in woodlands, you need to know how. Even the pro shops too often have cherries to do the sharpening on grinders: the chains are also often burnt, losing the temper. With all the setup time for a grinder, one can touch up a chain in the same time by hand. Nicks take longer, but doable.

Look at Excaliber's fine pic of a stump vise ( Baileys ): small, light, easy use in the field. No more crotch holding :dizzy:. Whether or not there's spare chains ready to go, chains always seem to glom into rounds, barbed wire, or plain grit in the tree ( see posts on cutting dead standing oaks ).

Hand filing guides are many. Excaliber's Husky roller guide that fits in a pocket was my go-to for a long time working away from the truck, road, or shop. A local logger turned me onto the PFERD system (also @ Baileys or a pro dealer ). It's a hand filing tool that follows the witness line on the chain top, AND does the raker/ cut height in one pass. Easy to use, light carry, efficient, cheap. PFERD systems are also sold under the Husky brand name. ( No, LB has no stake in PFERD :potstir:)

P.S. Change files often.

Last edited:
Even the pro shops too often have cherries to do the sharpening on grinders: the chains are also often burnt, losing the temper. With all the setup time for a grinder, one can touch up a chain in the same time by hand. Nicks take longer, but doable.

OK, I was nice to the HAND filers in my posts, but now I have to stand up for grinders.

It takes almost zero time to set up - leave it at 0 and 60 degrees, set your chain on it, move the dog a hair. Grinders, like filing, require some knowledge and skill - you only burn the chains if you run it like a chop saw. I personally think that it is easier to learn how to sharpen with a grinder, as you can dial in the angles. The big drawback is the inital cost for a decent one - hard to justify if you don't sharpen a lot of chains.

It is not fair to compare what some kid in a hardware store does with your chain to what you do with a file. Give that same kid a file and your chain will probably cut better with the drive links up.

Philbert

OK, I was nice to the HAND filers in my posts, but now I have to stand up for grinders.

It takes almost zero time to set up - leave it at 0 and 60 degrees, set your chain on it, move the dog a hair. Grinders, like filing, require some knowledge and skill - you only burn the chains if you run it like a chop saw. I personally think that it is easier to learn how to sharpen with a grinder, as you can dial in the angles. The big drawback is the inital cost for a decent one - hard to justify if you don't sharpen a lot of chains.

It is not fair to compare what some kid in a hardware store does with your chain to what you do with a file. Give that same kid a file and your chain will probably cut better with the drive links up.

Philbert

I would imagine that a decent person with a grinder could do a nice job with minimal metal removal. Every time I've had one "ground", half of the cutter was gone. I suspect they go to town on it just so I'd have to buy more chains, but that's just my suspicions. Then again, it's probably some kid that doesn't really know what he's doing.

Grinder and guides are all OK...But

Hand filling a chain is one of the first things a person should learn. Right after learning to run a saw safely that is. My old man taught me when I was 14 and I've been doing it for around 36 years now.

Philbert

thanks,Phil.. a properly run grinder,,will take off no more than a file,,and every angle will be consistent..and so will the grinding of the depth gauges..yes,those you take to a shop,can be burnt,or toooooo much ground off. before i learned how to hand file,i wanted to kill the shop that sharpened mine. too much off,burnt,no depth gauge cleanup!!! he wanted to sell chain!!! spaz!! but now that i have a grinder, i NO longer hand file,and take two spare chains to the woods..as white said,,dirt and i have a affenity,sp? for each other!!!

Vote for Handers

Philbert

"OK, I was nice to the grinders...butt now it's go-to-meeting time for us handers.":hmm3grin2orange:

Most of us dreaded homeowners ( real "pros" must be home-less :cry: ) harvesting firewood, and getting some pocket change pulp or sawlogs for drink, cut far away from the truck, road, or shop. Repeat: 2-3 spare chains in grit, hitting embedded rounds or wire in trees ( all too common here in New England forests ) can get dull real fast. Normal cutting in clean wood just touch up the chain(s) every 2-3 tanks .

Away from the dreaded grinder in the shop or on the tailgate, the need to HAND sharpen is mandatory. Besides it gives you the chance to break, cool down, have a cold one, and ponder. You don't do no ponder with a grinder running worrying about the burn.:msp_tongue:

Tip: when buying a new chain ( I prefer Stihl steel ), check carefully the edge angles, cutter width and length, the shape of the raker/depth gauge, and generally how the chain should look after 30-40 sharpenings . Don't forget to file and clean the bar.

No one we know would think of bringing a chain to a hardware store; talking here about dealers.

And once you've tried the PFERD system, there'll be no need to to be nice to grinders.......ever. :eek2: Time to hand sharpen with the right gear IN THE FIELD is nothing compared with time saved working with a smooth cutting chain that you've just HAND SHARPENED and dropped the rakers correctly with the PFERD. ( Grinders need another setup and time for depth gauges. ):confident:

lots of great info in here. Didn't read all of it but wanted to share my newb experience.

Over the years I've purchased everything under the sun for a good sharpen.

tried the oregon hand file with guage. lots use it never cared one bit for it. Angles never stayed true and way to much room for error for a newb that just wants to get back to cuttin.

Spent a bit more bought the Oregon violin thing. Worked once. total waste of money for me. the thing didnt hold on tight enough tightened the crap outta the chain it helped. Way to much flex in the cheap plastic thing its made of did get a better sharpen then the other one but the time of setup and finish was too long and in the woods forget it.

Next up spent some more cash on the Oregon electric battery thingy. those little grinding stones are like printer cartridges stupid expensive. Well about the same as the hand filer only when your done half your chain is missing. does work and quick but eats to much chain to fast for a newb.

Next up bought a cheapy grinder. finally getting better straighter sharper chains however there is no pretty round gullet and for me seemed like it took a while to hit wood to get max sharpness.

Finally bought the husky tool Someone posted the pic earlier the little BLUE Octogon with rubber Rollers.
Super so simple to use for a newb and gets the job done perfectly. LOVE THIS THING. put on file next. the chain stays razor sharp and I now Grind for straightening out or fixing a rocked chain then finish up with this thing best thing I ever used for a straight up newb.

Now since learning here on AS sorry don't remember the name like timber sharpnener or something now that looks like the next must have product but for someone that looses everything dunno i can throw away 4-6 husky tools for the price of the sharpner. WELL made thing tho.

I file and try not to have to hit it more than 2 strokes to get it back razor sharp. An older fellow taught me that and I've never used a guide for round filing.

I can attest to this. Damndest thing i ever saw lol. Razor sharp.

Me I use the Tinberline and then touch them up a little with a save edge file. However, the Timberline does get them as sharp as factory IMO. But.....overall I like the hand filing best. They get real sharp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back