How I Paint Saw Bars.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Native

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
as with all types of painting preparation is key but don't go to far after all it is only a saw bar.

step 1: clean off bar, wipe off oil maby clean with greaser.

step 2: remove all paint rust and grim, i used a 3M "sandblaster" pad on my angel grinder then used 3M "Surface prep" pads all three grits till i got a smooth clean metal surface.

step 3: paint, keep the bar warm and use thin coats they dry fast and thin so a few coats work and look smooth.

this bar is going to sit for a long time i cant afford to let it rust

i might paint my roller tip oregon bar it looks a little rusty to.

but as for the bars i use on a regular basis i dont paint them caus it wont stay for long.

SS is only stronger at very high temps.. at saw bar temps it would be a weaker bar with more wobble.. high carbon steel is still the strongest in applications such as this. a real long bar made of SS would be comparable to a banner in the wind. too much flex and that chain can come flying right off. on short bars.. it probly wouldnt be a problem.. but cost would come into play also.

Aren't the "Tsumara" bars stainless? I've got two with Carlton painted on them, and I've seen them with Lazer's name on them too.

Latest posts

Back