how is ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason White Ash is my favorite wood to burn. I don't know why. I burn other hardwoods that are more dense and longer lasting, but Ash cuts, splits and burns really well. If I were you I'd get my ash over there and get that wood!

ash is an excellent wood!!!!

burns the best of any wood green.... good to know if one runs short on seasoned wood.

Cuts, splits and burns great. Take all you can get.
One of the easiest hardwoods to work.
Also burn fairly well green.

Get it before someone else does.
I would consider it a major score. Like finding your favorite chainsaw on EBay for pennies on the dollar.

Good wood. So good they make baseball bats out of it. I cut one down 2 yrs ago in November and was burning it in December with no problems. I believe it is the driest live tree around. Id go get it.:clap:

Ash is the best! I wish I had more! Take all I can get and burn it with maple and birch. I've actually planted and encouraged several ash trees on the property :clap:

Last edited:
:agree2:
For once everyone seems to agree at AS...so far.

FIL (hard working farmer) used to always leave the firewood gathering until December (or a snow storm in Jan/Feb) before I came around, so he used to always cut Ash which was usually green and any other wood would (could a wood-chuck chuck) need to be dead.

If you do a Google search on "best firewood," you will see that ash is always one of the best and listed as "excellent."

Still don't believe me? Well, then here's a picture of my pale white ash:

Good hard wood, last year I had some spare time and peeled all the bark off the ash and when burnt there was very little ash left behind.

Yup if I could get some ash that was 20 miles away and a good truck trailer load or more I would go

heres my small pile enough for 2 years :cheers:

attachment.php

Gotta agree with everyone on this.Great wood seasons quick,burns nice splits easy.As long as you get a fair amount of wood and it does not take you too far out of your way.Go get it!!!.By the way I am jealous of your 262xp find.I have been looking for a decent one for awhile ya bum.LOL.

I would love to get my hands on more ash. Funny enough for us, in Ohio, having EAB around here, I don't get the opportunity to cut much of it. The stuff I get burns good, splits easy and doesn't seem to produce much ash to clean out of my stove. A great firewood and I would travel 20 miles to get it.

I would love to get my hands on more ash. Funny enough for us, in Ohio, having EAB around here, I don't get the opportunity to cut much of it. The stuff I get burns good, splits easy and doesn't seem to produce much ash to clean out of my stove. A great firewood and I would travel 20 miles to get it.

Really, because of the EAB, I get tons of ash for firewood. about 75% of the wood I've burned in the last 3 years has been ash.

Back