How long before chuck fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiLL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How long do you guys go after mixing fuel and oil before you throw it out??

I know the alcohol in the fuel kills the oil, so I was just wondering. Is a week too long? Two?

The alcohol leads to entrapment of water within the gasoline and earlier expiration. It does not directly attack the oil.

Use it within one month. Buy from a high volume station.

If you put Stabil in the gas before you add the oil, or you use Stihl's HP Ultra oil, the mix will last a year I'm told. I never leave fuel in my saws that long, but I have done it my Echo weedwacker, and it started up just fine the next spring. Personally, I dump out anything that's in a saw if I haven't used it for a month, and I only mix enough fuel that I intend to use in a couple of weeks.

How long do you guys go after mixing fuel and oil before you throw it out??

I know the alcohol in the fuel kills the oil, so I was just wondering. Is a week too long? Two?

How quickly it goes off depends on things like, how old the gas was when you got it from the gas station, how full the mix can is, the temp at which the can has been stored, was their old mix in then can when the mix was prepared.

If the mix is older than about a month I mix it with a tank full of fresh gas into my subaru.

Never toss your old fuel, as said previously add it to a fresh tank in your vehicle, 10 ltr of mix into 60 ltr of straight gas equals nothing! I keep most mixed gas for a maximum of 2 weeks in the winter and 6-8 in the summer.

At the risk of adding fuel to another oil thread....( oh no you didn't ) one month is about as long as I like to keep it. Then dump it in the wood splitter, or lawnmower, or your truck..pretty much any four stroke.

:greenchainsaw:

Fuel starts to degrade after 14 days or so. Any good 2-stroke oil will have a fuel stabilizer in it that will help keep it fresher. Store your fuel in a cold dark place or in the shade when out in the field. Try to buy your fuel at a station that gets a lot of traffic. That way you know the fuel isn't sitting around in their tanks for to long before you buy it. I don't keep my fuel around very long and I only mix 5 litres at a time. 2 weeks would be a good rule of thumb.

steve:cheers:

If you put Stabil in the gas before you add the oil, or you use Stihl's HP Ultra oil, the mix will last a year I'm told. I never leave fuel in my saws that long, but I have done it my Echo weedwacker, and it started up just fine the next spring. Personally, I dump out anything that's in a saw if I haven't used it for a month, and I only mix enough fuel that I intend to use in a couple of weeks.

This is possibly true for 100% gasoline but not for ethanol fuel because of the water absorption and phase separation caused by the ethanol.

I run AV fuel in all my small engines and all my saws. Never dump it out never drain nothing and use it till its gone. We mixed in June and used the last of it in November, mixed again and just used it up and mixed again about April. I have NEVER scored a P&C, Have NEVER had a saw to lock up. The close to 40 saws we have and run almost daily all run it old or new.

The old ones I've tore down to do regular freshen ups on look brand new inside no carbon build up anywhere. We run an 028 that has never had anything in it but AV and it's 36 years old.

So draw your on conclusion, I do what has worked for me for the last 40 yrs. AV fuel and Stihl High Performance oil in the orange bottle. Go figure it works for us.
Saw On and Saw Safe

I run AV fuel in all my small engines and all my saws. Never dump it out never drain nothing and use it till its gone. We mixed in June and used the last of it in November, mixed again and just used it up and mixed again about April. I have NEVER scored a P&C, Have NEVER had a saw to lock up. The close to 40 saws we have and run almost daily all run it old or new.

The old ones I've tore down to do regular freshen ups on look brand new inside no carbon build up anywhere. We run an 028 that has never had anything in it but AV and it's 36 years old.

So draw your on conclusion, I do what has worked for me for the last 40 yrs. AV fuel and Stihl High Performance oil in the orange bottle. Go figure it works for us.
Saw On and Saw Safe

you run 104 or 110? Leaded or not?

After E10 killing one saw, I now mix a quart at a time. On my saws this is about two tank fulls. I start with a quart container full and mix more as I need it. I add StaBil to the gasoline when I buy it and keep it out of the sun and heat. I have clear graduated cylinders that I use for mixing, so I can see if there is any separation. I have also gone to emptying the saw after the end of the day. I like to see what the fuel looks like at the start of each session with all the problems of separation.

I quit using the Stihl oil, so mixing 1000ml/quart at a time is not a problem. I take the oil, gas, and graduated cylinder with me when I am out cutting wood. It only takes a couple of minutes to mix another quart and gives me a short break.

Like the above poster I mix gas in small batches.
I got some 500ml plastic bottles, I add gas and use a kitchen measuring spoon to add 12 ml of oil.

I don't cut all that much at one time so it works well for me.
Also good for weed whackers.

Last edited:
you run 104 or 110? Leaded or not?

What we get here is just 100 and I've been told it has a trace amount of lead. We can sthil get it at the local airport, at some locations you have to have a plane or a pilots license which I have neither one.

The next county over will not sell to the public at all.

I must be the luckiest guy ever....

I have gas that sits for up to 2-3 months, although that doesnt happen often because I go through it so fast...I mix 2.5 gallons at a time with Stihl's HP oil, Exactly 93oct 50:1, I dont mix it rich EVER....

I have never blown up a motor due to fuel problems...

I also purchace all fuel from the same gas station, a station that has a huge turn over of fuel, they get deliveries every other day...

I think some of you guys get yourself in trouble from being too careful...

Fresh gas, mixed properly, shake you cans....cut your wood...

Define chuck. I will dump, (chuck) all two stroke mix in the pickups or the tractors after about 60 days. Ever seen a farmall cub running 100LL AV gas.

:givebeer:

Depends on fuel & stabilizer in mix oil

I chucked the last of batch mixed last fall last week into a 48 year old tractor,
no sensors or electronic engine controls. It liked it, just won't run on
water, that is why old tractors had a sediment bulb.
I used premium fuel & Husqvarna XP in that batch. It has fuel stabilizer.
I have run the PP260 saw and a weedeater this spring off that batch
w/o failures.
I use plastic fuel storage containers with the vent & gas hose sealed, also.

This is possibly true for 100% gasoline but not for ethanol fuel because of the water absorption and phase separation caused by the ethanol.

It is true if you put the recommended amount of Stabil in it. Keeps months and months without separation, at least for me with the E10 gas we get in NY.

Latest posts

Back