How long did your last chainsaw chain last

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long did your last chainsaw chain last

• 3 days

• 1 week

• 1 month

• 3 months

• 6 months

• 1 year

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have never and will likely never use a HIPA chain.
I hate to say never, but if there are other options, the answer is never.
But if you hardened all the cutters in your next fire it would be awesome, yes?
Just quench the loop real fast in water. It shouldn't crack, too much, 😕 😪 😐 😱

But they just keep coming back for more.
Track them. Better they are here then bothering real customers in a PM who can find other vendors on this site. If you keep beating on them everyone now knows who they are. There is a method to this madness and they lose everytime by outing them like people who do poor work or none but take the money and run, out them.

Just needs a diamond file to sharpen. I have contemplated it a few times, just couldn't justify the cost in the past. Think I could buy 4 or 5 20" or 3 or 4 24" chains for the cost of 1 20" carbide loop. The 24" loop I have on the 400 now is about 1/2 used up. Got some real dirty logs here to deal with. Tried hosing them off, but it in the bark pretty good. It was free so I'm not really complaining. Just had to haul it home.
Bore cut them and don't cut the bark. I can cut frozen wood with Carton semi chisel covered in frozen mud if you stay away from the bark.

I worked with an old timer who's grind was such that in clean wood he would go days before needing a touch up. The drivers & ties wear out before running out of bit in such settings. Myself I can't really recall. Usually I had a pile of chains of varying age & condition, none of which being used steadily from beginning to end. As long as I was going to work with 3-4 sharp ones every day.. I use them up until the top plates are literally gone, though.

Latest posts

Back